Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need "share.exe"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Need

More from Ken:

Deniese:

I have it all figured out. The code of alpha's #1 disk [install] is looking for the LOCATION of 'share.exe' so that it can edit the Autoexec.bat and 'load' share. I doesn't know that Window operating system provides its own 'Vshare' automatically and it functions for Alpha whether Alpha knows it or not.

My post on the board was to create a 'dummy' SHARE.EXE file, so alpha thinks that you have one and won't 'hang' in the install routine.

In notepad, make a file - enter three or four characters - let's say 4 'X's". No pick 'Save As' from the file menu selection on Notepad and navigate to c: [no folder] type in the 'save as' line SHARE.EXE.

Now, Alpha can find the stupid thing and make its changes to the autoexec.bat. You might have to view the autoexec.bat in Windows Explorer [get that by holding the window key and pressing 'E']. Right click on that file's icon and pick properties. If 'Hidden' shows up checked in the 'Attributes' area at the bottom, uncheck it. [Howard Elkes' suggestion].

Now get to the BLACK and WHITE DOS screen however you have to in ME. Hold [Ctrl] kwy while the machine is booting and pick 'command promp' from the black and white menu that appears.

Now! insert the disk 1 and type 'Install' [witout the quotes].

What a bugger! All this is due to the fact that Alpha4 is no longer supported by Alpha Software and they haven't updtated their install routines to accomodate Windows' special operating system.

Good Luck!

Ken

Comment

After submitting this, I proofed it - please excuse all of the typos

Ken again

Comment

Hi everyone - this didn't work either.....

1. I wentto notepad & saved a file named share.exe
        2. When I tried to view the autoexec. bat file by holding down the window key and pressing E....it locked up my computer so I
        3. Went to Windows Explorer & searched for autoexec.bat in drive c:
        4. Clicked on properties of autoexec.bat & I now have 2 autoexec files...1) autoexec, here nothing is checked in attributes 2) autoexec.restore, here the only thing checked in atributes is "archive"

then I tried to reboot holding down ctrl, this is what happens....
        1. Holding down ctrl
        2. Goes to windows, not dos screen
        3. Windows ask for my password
        4. I type in password, still holding down ctrl
        5. Says "active desktop recovery"
        6. I click on "restor my active desktop"

Next suggestion, please????

Comment

Hi everyone - this didn't work either.....

1. I wentto notepad & saved a file named share.exe
          2. When I tried to view the autoexec. bat file by holding down the window key and pressing E....it locked up my computer so I
          3. Went to Windows Explorer & searched for autoexec.bat in drive c:
          4. Clicked on properties of autoexec.bat & I now have 2 autoexec files...1) autoexec, here nothing is checked in attributes 2) autoexec.restore, here the only thing checked in atributes is "archive"

then I tried to reboot holding down ctrl, this is what happens....
          1. Holding down ctrl
          2. Goes to windows, not dos screen
          3. Windows ask for my password
          4. I type in password, still holding down ctrl
          5. Says "active desktop recovery"
          6. I click on "restor my active desktop"

Next suggestion, please????

Comment

Deniese:

I'm sorry about the 'WindowKey-'E' Press for windows explorer... apparently that doesn't work with ME. Also, ME doesn't have 'DOS' like 98.

Have you tried with 'Start', 'Run', and then type in A:install? Maybe now that a 'share.exe' exists on the hard drive, the installation will not stall.

Ken

Comment

After writing the above I re-read the thread and, apparently you've found a way to get to the dos prompt. Get there again, however you did the first time and with disk #1 inserted type SETUP [NOT INSTALL sorry about that too] and hit [enter]. If it says Bad command or file name, you have the wrong disk.

Man, I'm sorry about all the other stuff. It's so hard to try and visualize your problem when I don't have ME.

Summary:
              1.Get to the DosPrompt.
              2.Insert Alpha's Disk1
              3.Type SETUP
              4.Press [Enter]
              5. See if it stalls with the same error message

Ken

Comment

Guess what....no luck again!!!
                I went to accessories & clicked on the dos prompt and typed setup. I get the same error message "share is not loaded. Setup has added this to your autoexec.bat file. A backup of this file is located in the Alpha 4 program directory. Press any key to continue". When I press "any key to continue", it says to insert "disk labeled"...but doesn't say the name of the disk. I've tried all 3 disks. It does nothing....

I've only been able to fool the computer one time to startup and get the black & white screen (holding down ctrl while booting). I can't get to that screen again, it always goes straight into windows.

Next step???????????????

Comment

Deniese:

Horrors! Could it be that, after all of this twaddle [as far as your problem is concerned]YOU HAVE A BAD INSTALL DISK?

I have versions 3 and 6. If we have to I can email the third one and see if that's the problem. Don't know what happened to 4

Ken

Comment

Deniese:

Did you ever try my suggeston regarding changing the attribute on the Autoexec.Bat file?

Howard

Comment

When this all first began, I too thought I had a bad install disk. I requested new diskettes from my contact at The Chronicle. He sent me new ones (there are only 3 diskettes). He insists that the diskettes are not the problem and tested them before he sent them to me. However, he doesn't have Windows ME.

I'm willing to try anything at this point. Please send me the software via e-mail if that is possible.

Comment

Yes, I went to Windows Explorer. Searched in the c: drive for the autoexec.bat file. Clicked on properties, and under the attributes, nothing is checked (read only, hidden, archieve). I believe this is what your suggestion was.

Comment

Deniese:

I see no where on this whole thread, where you've mentoned the Version that you're trying to install.

I've looked back on my disk archives and find that I have Versions 3 (only two disks that I can find]; Version 4 [has a set of three disks]; and Version 6. Apparently you must have version 4 or 6 as you keep talking about three disks.

Which is it?.. and I'll e-mail the files. Do you know how to do pkzip? Or... do you have Winzip in your machine? Let me know the version and I'll send copies of my disks via snail mail - if you'll give your address.

To all.... Ever try to unzip a corrupt zip file and have that same "Insert Disk....[blank] come up? I'll bet that's it. Who really knows?

Ken again

Comment

I have Alpha4 V4 (3 diskettes).

I do not have WinZip. Please mail the diskettes to me. Can I please send you my mailing address to your e-mail address instead of posting on the message board? If so, please e-mail me your address.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Deniese:

I priority mailed you a set of a4v4 disks that you might try.

ANYONE: I see, in the install.dta code, a reference to 'append' - is that DOS command available on ME? Apparently pkzip couldn't handle spanning disks as used on that old install routine and I see that the code appends one small zip to another for the complete executable. Anyone out there know? Maybe you Howard Elkes?

I don't [won't] have ME

Ken

Comment

Ken:

Fortunately, I've neve been involved with an installation on ME. My latest installation, that I wrote about near the beginning of this thread, was Windows 2000. It had no problem with the append or anything else once I fixed the problem with autoexe.bat's attibute.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                                X