Alpha Video Training

Thread: A4V6 Record Access Problem

Tom Talbott

Default A4V6 Record Access Problem

I recently added maybe 25 records to a database with Alpha4v6, performed a Query on a common field to isolate the records I'd just entered and then printed a report so that I could edit my data entry. Everything went just fine.

The next time I used the data base I could not access the records I'd just entered through a Find command. I receive the error message "File not found or Access Denied Reading Database." The same error message is received when I:

A. Scroll through a Browse table and hit the point where one of the new records should be,
    B. Scroll in View Mode
    C. Attempt to update field Rules

I've I've tried various indices & ranges, updated Indices, and then erased and re-created them with no luck.

I've also tried to copy the database (and the "new records" aren't copied) and to export the database in ASCII (with the same result).

The "new records" appear in the record count and the size of the dbf file suggests that they are there.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be and how I might correct it?

Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ken Herrold

Default RE: A4V6 Record Access Problem

Tom:

This is really rudementary but I assume you have tried to see these in default range and indexed on record order.

Ken

Mick Magnuson

Could be a couple of things wrong, but sounds like a bad record. If you send me the .dbf I can take a look at it and see what I can do.

MickM@unitedindustries.com

Mick

Tom Talbott

Ken,

Tried your idea first without any luck - but many thanks for sending it along (its usually the "basics" that bite me).

Best I could figure, the Database records in my newly entered "range" had somehow become corrupted.

I exported what would export in record number order (which, fortunately, put my problems at the end of the dbf. I then successfully deleted everything after the point where my "browse" hit a snag, and then re-enterd my "problem children." Seems to have solved my problem.

This one convinces me (hopefully for a while) to take the time to back-up/restore more frequesntly -- "too soon old, too late smart."

Tom

Tom Talbott

Mick,

Thanks for your generous offer - and I think you nailed my problem. I concluded the same thing (after a ton more time than I'm willing to admit)and "got lucky".

Do you have any tricks for finding the "bad apples"? Fortunately, my problems were with records I had just entered (and were at the end of the "record number" file).

I just assumed that the whole range of "new" records was bad and was able to export the good stuff and re-enter the bad.

Would like to know a better way.

Thanks again,

Tom

Real Name
    Robert Picard

Hi Tom

I have come across this problem occasionally with different clients. It usually clears up when they buy newer computers.

But to your problem. I use append to fix it. I append the offending tables from a set to temporary tables which are empty. The append stops at the record before the first corrupted record. It usually only one of the tables in a set which has been corrupted

Then I zap the original tables and reappend back from the temp tables. I have found that only the last record entered has become corrupted. I find this to be fast and very simple way to recover from corrupted records.

Hope this helps

Robert

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ken Herrold

ALL:

Picked up an old FAX FAQ from Alpha Soft about rebuilding indexes. Here's what it says......

"....Do NOT select 'UPdate All' but rather edit each index seperately ---take out and re-type the expression then save each with F10....."

The article says, in this manner, the index is completely rebuilt rather than just updated. There was another alternative and that was to leave the expression as it was but move the cursor one space past the end of it and then save with F10. Allegedly, according to the FAX-On-Demand that, too, would cause a complete overhaul of the index rather than just an update.

Just another thing to try.

Ken

Tom Talbott

Ken,

"Updating" individually makes sense - unfortunately,at 2:00 a.m., that one slipped right by me.

Thanks for the info.

Tom

Tom Talbott

Robert,

Sounds like a much better (and safer) approach - particularly if the problem is in the last record entered.

I am using an older PC for my older programs like Alpha4v6 (assuming that it would still be fine for those.) I have that PC on one of the first versions of Windows95, which has been a major pain since I installed it.

The "Append" to a new (empty).dbf approach must work differently than the "Copy" to a new .dbf function or else my problem arose with the first "new record" I entered rather than the "last record" which has been your experience. Wish I'd kept the "corrupted" file so I could try both approaches.

Thanks again.

Tom