Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Constant Auto Update at View/Edit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constant Auto Update at View/Edit

We use Alpha 4.3 for mineral records and have approx. 88,000 at present. We input on two different computers but copy everything into one. Friday we transferred the database records to the main computer and updated the indexes. We wanted to check someting else and went to view/edit and an update started through all the records. It took forever (but patiently) for it to complete the update and selected view/edit again, same thing. I am new and the person who has done everything for 10 years is gone and I'm going through manuals and notes trying anything to correct it. We updated the indexes again and shut down the computer hoping it would be ok but it wasn't.
    Has anyone ever experienced this before? Any ideas how to correct this? We can't get into our records.

Anything will help. Thanks,

Sharon

RE: Constant Auto Update at View/Edit

Hi Sharon,

You say you have updated the indexes, how about trying to re-evaluate any field rules, and perhaps defrag the drive!

Keith ( Cornwall UK )

Comment

Keith, thank you for responding so quickly. I will try to defrag tomorrow. We reviewed the field rules and don't see anything that gets our attention. We are still able to print our reports so I can still do some work since it looks like all the entries copied over correctly. We just won't be able to enter new records until we get this fixed.

I'll let you know what happens when we defrag.

Thanks again.

Comment

Sharon:

Are you sure that when the form opens, that the index is not set to a 'search'. This would appear as an update with numbers incrementing on the status line.

Look to see if "seatch/sort" shows somewhere above the menubar - or..... A filter letter on the right side above
        the menubar.

Also, check the form with 'R' when it is complete to see that Alpha isn't stuck in a Range. R will get you the current range and F7 can help you select the default.

Ken

Comment

Ken,
          Thanks for your time. These are possibilities. Our student was transfering records from her PC to the master file and it created a new temp file that contained all the records she was uploading because of the name she gave it. Next she opened brouse/search to look to see if the records had transferred and I'm not sure what happened from there because she completed the upload again but when she went to edit/view the "Records Processing w/#" started running and went until all 88000 records had been processed and it does it everytime we try to open edit/view. I printed the field rules from her computer today so I can compare them to what the master has. We think that whatever is wrong is a small thing but who knows right now. I have a backup from last week but Misty (our part-time student) has input a lot of records and I hate for her to have to start over (last resort). We have updated the files but I'm thinking that the new temp file may be causing some problems too. Tomorrow I plan on erasing it but I have to do some reading in the manual before I erase, delete, re-evaluate field rules and anything else. Remember, I'm brand new to the Alpha 4 and I've been there only a week so I am wise enough to now my learning curve is a little longer than that. My supervisor can input, print out reports and set up new files but she cannot trouble shoot so I assured her I would not start pushing buttons like I do here at home! I know I can make things worse until I know a little more about the program.

Thanks again. Watch for a reply back and I'll let you know how tomorrow goes. If you think of anything else, I take it.

Comment

Ken, I checked everything I could think of this morning and the only thing I could find was on the edit/view screen there is a Filter A and NOTDEL. I've chcked the field rules and they look ok. I didn't see any other letters on the screen and when the records are processing the screen is black with nothing visible. Do these things tell you anything?

Just sitting here wondering what to do next!
            Sharon

Comment

Sharon:

I bleed for your frustration......

When in edit/view are you able to stop the process with [ESC]? If not, do this....

Open Alpha from Windows Explorer Start the executable pif by clicking 'A4-Large'. When alpha's menu appears just press [F10] to Alpha's Main Menu. Press 'C' then 'O' and navigate the the problem database or set and load it. When this is done the main menu will have its name in the upper left corner.

Now Press 'I' for Index and then 'P' for Primary if the index that displays highlighted is '..Search/sort..' make a note of that and move the highight to 'Record Number' and press [F10].

Now press 'I' index again and press 'R' Range Press [F7] - again, select or press 0 (zero)[default range] - press [F10] enough times to return to the Alpha Main menu.

Now, press 'V' view and see if the problem is corrected.

Sharon, this is an entirely 'Back door' approach and awkward, I know, however, I can only imagine the structure of the application. This should work.

I'm available during most daytime hours and would welcome a phone call to work this out while you're at the machine. We're on central time here in Northern Indiana. Please call if you can't get the above to solve it. 219-785-2048 We even stay up here 'til about 10:30PM

Ken

Comment

On second thought.....

For heaven's sake, tell me if you've solved it. I'll worry and think about it until I know.

Ken

Comment

All:

Sharon and I have communicated and she was able to solve the problem. As many of you probably suspected, the form was opening, stuck in a search-sort range.

She's up and running.

Ken

Comment

Dear Ken and other members of the forum:

I've had a true learning experience with Alpha 4. The problem I was having was something so very simple yet I spent days trying to correct it. With the help of this forum I am now about 1/l00th of the way into my learning curve. Even though I have worked with other dbases this one is just different to me. I know I will love it when I realize all that it can do. I look forward to the work now that I know where I can come for help and maybe I won't wait 3 or 4 days before I ask for directions when I'm lost. That is supposed to be a "man" thing and I had a momentary laps! Seriously, I appreciate everyone's help.

OH! BTW, the range will not reset to default after we change it to a print or by record command. Is that normal and do we have to remember to go back in and re-set it each time?

Thanks,
                    Sharon

Comment

Sharon, are you working with an application or forms outside of an application? If you're in an application you can program the app to reset the range when you go to a specific form. If your just working with forms outside of an application check the primary index when you first boot the program, if it contains a filter; set it to inactive. If one doesn't already exist, create an index that contains no filters and use it whenever you open your dbf.

Jeff Carroza

Comment

Jeff,

Thank you for responding. I am working with applications and I will set the filter to inactive and see if that will solve my dilema. This is not a bad thing that's happening, just time consuming. Thanks again for the advice.

Sharon

Comment

Sharon:

Again, it could be that the range is being changed and set by a script that runs when the print is requested. It could be that the script writer didn't reset the range on the 'way out' of his routine. Man. I wish I could see the app.

Ken

Comment

Ken, let's close out of this topic and start another that I can print without getting all the past pages. I'll call it Default Settings.

Comment

Working...
                            X