Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Windows 2000 and Alpha4v6 (lack of XMS problem)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 2000 and Alpha4v6 (lack of XMS problem)

I wanted to share a solution that may or may not have been discussed with Windows 2000 and Alpha4v6. My problem was that I was getting a low XMS memory error when I ran Alpha4v6. (BTW, if A4 runs and the error message flashes by fast and closes the window, run command first then run alpha4 to see the error). In windows 2000 I didn't see a handy memory tab like you have in Win95/98. What I ended up doing was searching the hard drive for _default* which brought up _default.pif
    When you right click and go to properties of _default.pif you will see a memory configuration option where you can set XMS to 4MB or whatever you feel like. If you run more than Alpha4v6 in DOS, you should be able to create a pif just for Alpha4.

RE: Windows 2000 and Alpha4v6 (lack of XMS problem

Eric,
    This implies that you have Alpha4v6 working.
    Did you just copy the entire Alpha4v6 directories to W/2000 or use some other install process?

Was the XMS change in the _default.pif the only change needed to make it work?

I am trying to help a non-profit by moving an Alpha4v6 application for them without having to convert it to another program.

Phillip

Comment

Yes, mine is working fine with Windows 2000 as the client and the data files on another computer. For the Alpha4v6 program install, I just copied the directory structure C:ALPHA4V6 from their old computer they were replacing.
      Besides the _default.pif , I also added files=240 to their config.

Comment

I think I have it working, but the screen is about one third in height. Any suggestions?
        Henry

Comment

I usually just use full screen, hit alt-enter. Otherwise dig through the that pif file for screen font settings. Colors don't seem to show up correctly anyway in the windowed (non-full-screen) mode.

Comment

Thanks, but I have tried "full screen" several ways.
            Most direct was to set the properties for Alpha.exe to full screen. That set the screen to full size, black. Then the mainmenu screen came up squeezed into the upper half, probably about a third-screen high bottoming about the middle of the screen.

This morning I read an item in the general ANNOUNCEMENTS list advising to set the screen to 25 x 25 for full screen. I had set it much different without knowing even what it was for. So I will try that next.

What was the "alt-enter" supposed to do?

Phillip

Comment

I guess I don't have any other ideas for you. Hitting
              "alt-enter" while in a DOS window is supposed to give you full screen of that window.

Comment

Phillip,

One fix is that you make the following settings after right clicking on the Alpha4v6 desktop icon, on the Program tab, set RUN to Maximize AND then on the Screen tab, set USAGE to Normal window. Then, after you open Alpha4V6, and get a normal window, press Alt Enter, which will open your window up to as large as it's going to get. And, the colors are accurate for a change. Problem is that you have to click Alt Enter every time you open the program.

Sam Tartamella
                [email protected]

Comment

Hooray! It is working fine.

I think I messed up many settings trying to reset PROPERTIES of the various Alpha4v6 files. In Windows 2000 I think the only things I changed were _default.pif and cmd.exe.
                  Then I re-copied my alpha files to the new system to offset any changes I had made in them.

Comment

I think I messed up many settings trying to reset PROPERTIES of the various Alpha4v6 files. In Windows 2000 I think the only things I changed were _default.pif and cmd.exe.
                    Then I re-copied my alpha files to the new system to offset any changes I had made in them.

Comment

Comment

Glad to hear you resolved the problem.

But, what exactly did you do?

[email protected]

Comment

Eric,
                          My system died during my previous reply so it never was finished and I forgot about it -- I apologize.

I had tried a bunch of things in Alpha4v6 without success.

So, I made the change you suggested to _default.pif. I also made the same change to cmd.exe, without knowing exactly why.
                          Then I went back and recopied Alpha4v6 from a working system, just to reset all the changes I had made. Suddenly it worked beautifully, just as expected, and full-screen. I do not remember if I had made the 80 by 25 change or not.
                          Thank you for your help.
                          Phillip

Comment

Working...
                          X