Alpha Video Training

Thread: Version upgrading

Phillip Baskin

Default Version upgrading

I'm changing from an old computer using A4V3 to a new one using A4V6. I've tried to move my V3 database files to the new machine but it seems that in the process, my forms, memos, indexes, etc. are all messed up. The basic data, itself, is ok.

Since V3 does not have backup/restore functions, I copied all the applicable files to diskette and sneaker-netted them into the new computer.

I'm sure I'm missing something. Any help well be greatly appreciated.

Roy Flitcroft

Default RE: Version upgrading

I have upgraded Alpha4 twice - from version 2 to version 3 and then from version 3 to version 4. You have to install the new version on the same computer as the old one and it asks you if you are doing an upgrade. Say "yes", and it converts all the files for you.
    No problems !

Phillip Baskin

Can't install V6.2 on the same computer as the old version. My old computer is on its last legs; that's why I have to install the new version on my new computer. Guess I'll just have to reconfigure all of my reports, etc. But thanks for your reply.

SHELDON H. STEINLAUF

what about installing the a4v3 on your new pc. back up evrything from your old pc and then restore it to the new pc,pc. then ugrade.

Phillip Baskin

Thanks for the idea but due to a somewhat stupid error on my part, I no longer have the A4V3 diskettes (however, I found my A4V2 diskettes). I may try to copy the DOS program files from the old to the new computer. Worst case... I'll have to re-build the indexes, forms, etc. No big deal, just time consuming.

Harvey Foster

if you still have the full operating program and data on the old machine just zip the folder and then unzip it on the new machine and then upgrade. no need to have the disks.

Phillip Baskin

Excellent suggestion!!! That's what I'll do. Thank you very much.

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

I don't know anything about versions of A4 earlier than Ver-6, however, I seem to recall experiences of people transferring files from one PC to another causes some files to be changed to "read only" and I assume that some files require read & write priveleges. That may be a situation for you.

Mike

Augusto del Castillo

I've been using A4 since Version 3. I'm now using V6. I never had any problems with ANY of my files, reports, scripts, etc. that were developed uder the earlier versions. I just installed the latest version, (V6 the last time) and then copied all my old files into the new directory I'd created for using V6. I have the program in its own directory (ALPHA4V6} and the data files in a subdirectory - that way I can move the files without any hassle (just copy the whole subdirectory to the new subdirectory). Never had any problems. Give it a try.

Augusto del Castillo

Phillip Baskin

Thanks, but the problem is that the previous version of A4 is on an old computer and I have to install V6 on a new computer. The previous response said to zip all the old files to the new computer; it appears that is what I will have to do.

Augusto del Castillo

Yes, do that but make a subdirectory to place all your data files into. That way you can always move, copy, backup, etc. without any hassle.

Good luck.

AdC

Phillip Baskin

Will do. Thanks again.

John Dedert

I know this is an old thread, but if you're still lost, here are two more ideas:

1.) For about $40, buy two 10base2 (thinnet) network cards--the coax type. Install one in each computer, then simply copy the old A4 directory, lock, stock and barrel, onto the new computer. Create shortcuts on the new desktop and then upgrade after verifying the transfer.

2.) For $zero, open up the old computer, remove the hard drive, install it in the new machine as a "slave" to the existing unit. Copy all of it's contents to a folder you have created on the new hard drive, or copy only the A4 files--your choice. You can leave the old drive in it's new location or take it out and put it back in the old machine.

Phillip Baskin

Networking is a possibility. Moving the old hard drive to the new computer is out of the question. Thanks for replying.

Phillip Baskin

Harvey: I zipped the A4V3 directory to my new computer and it worked 99.9%. Thanks again.