Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A4v6 wont fill entire screen in Win98, 2nd edtion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A4v6 wont fill entire screen in Win98, 2nd edtion

I have just hung up after talking with Compaq Computer technical support. As usual, it was a futile and aggravating experience. I have recently replaced an older Compaq laptop with a newer model operating on Win98, 2nd edition. I am finding that A4v6 will not fill the entire screen, but is squished down to about 85% of the screen. Their technical service rep insists that I have to accept this as being typical of running an "old DOS program" in a newer Windows platform. I responded by advising him that A4v6 ran just fine in Win98 on the old laptop. (I honestly can't remember if I had the 1st edition or 2nd edition on that machine) If you've ever had to deal with Compaq technical support, you'll understand my lack of trust in their competence. Has anyone else experienced such a problem in running A4v6 in Win98, 2nd edition? As usual, their solution was for me to reload the operating system with the expectation that it will fix this problem. I hardly want to waste a lot of time doing such if it's not going to help me. PS, I also own use A5, but like many other A4 users have never made a total switch. Hope somebody can help me. I can't imagine Compaq being right about this.... they've rarely been right before.

RE: A4v6 wont fill entire screen in Win98, 2nd edt

Hi,

When you say the screen is not full, is there a reason why you are not running it in full screen mode, you should just be able to hold down ALT and press the ENTER key for you to get a non windowed full screen.

Also on the properties section of your A4 shortcut there are two setting for the screen which can be toggled.

If you need it windowd click on the font icon on the top and try True Type 10x18, that seems to give quite a good screen at 800x600 res.

Hope this is what you meant!
    Chris Tanti
    Technical Support

Nuance & Fathom Ltd - The data-driven marketing agency

Comment

Thanks Chris, but it doesn't help

Hi Chris, Thanks for trying to help. I tried Alt+Enter and it does toggle from a small window up to the larger size window which is not filling the whole screen. I'm getting more concerned that I have a Windows 98 problem and not an Alpha problem. My bigger problem is having to go to Compaq for help with Windows 98. There standard answer to most any problem is generally to reload the Win98 operating system!
      "DON'T LET YOUR FRIENDS DRIVE DRUNK... or buy Compaq Computers" Thanks again for your courtesy, Jim Costello

Comment

RE: Thanks Chris, but it doesn't help

James,
        I've recently run into the same situation, but this is the strange part. We've got about 4 laptops running Win98 2nd ver. and Alpha4V6. Two of them are IBM and two are Dell. For some reason one of the Dell's is doing the same thing yours is, only using a small portion of the center of the screen while in full screen mode.

I can't figure it out.

Daniel

Comment

James,

You can toggle the full screen on or off while runnig Alpha4 V6
          in Windows 98, regardless on whether it is on a desktop or a
          Compaq laptop. Here's how I got it to work for me with Version 1
          of Windows 98 on my Compaq laptop.

If A4 opens in less than a full screen, across the top of the
          screen, you will see seven buttons, one of which has fours arrows
          pointing left, right, up and down. Click that button and you
          will drop into the 'older' full screen character screen DOS mode.

If you want to take it back to the Windows mode, hold down [ALT]
          and tap [ENTER].

I've found at least one screen characteristics that does not work
          properly while in the DOS full screen, don't look correct if you
          are in the Windows mode. For example, on a Personnel form I've
          designed for a client, there is a field that is normally hidden.
          If the position in frozen, then * * Position is Frozen * * flashes.
          It works (and looks) fine in character mode, but in Windows mode,
          there is a colored area where the text will appear, and when the
          text does appear, it does not blink.

Good luck,

Dave Jampole
          Dave Jampole
          www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Thanks Dave,

I don't know if James is having the same problem as me but it sounds like he is.

My computer is running dos in full screen mode. I know how to get it to run in half screen which makes it even smaller but, like you said, by clicking the full screen icon it jumps back to full screen. The problem is that Alpha, in full screen mode, is only taking up the center portion of the screen. There is about a 2 1/2 inch border of black screen all they way around the alpha program. I'm currently running Win98 2ed and alpha4v6 on 4 laptops, 2 IBM's and 2 Dell's. Only one of the Dell's is having this problem. Very strange.

I don't think the problem is within Alpha though. Dos alone also runs in this smaller window regardless of whether or not you're running Alpha. I was just hoping to hear from someone who had the same problem and figured out how to fix it. Maybe it can't be?

Daniel

Comment

I'll throw in my own similar problem. I've just installed our application on an IBM 600X with Windows 2000 Professional V 5.0, but I had this problem back with Win95. We worked around the Win95 problem by specifying "full-screen" on the screen tab of the shortcut and "maximized" on the run line of the program tab. This isn't helping on the Win2000 laptop.

When the application is launched, the screen is squeezed down in heighth, but operates properly. Now for the strange part. We have records with pictures that are displayed by paging down and pressing the "P" key (this is a Runtime application). Once the picture comes up and you go back to the application screen it is now displayed as a full screen. Stays that way until you exit Alpha.

Don't have this problem on our NT Workstations, Win95 and Win98 laptops. But as I said, we did have the problem on Win95 when it first came out.

I'm still looking for an answer myself.

Comment

I've just arrived at a better solution.

By changing the properties in the shortcut to "Normal Window" on the Run line of the Program tab and to "Window" on the Screen tab, the application launches in a window instead of full screen, but the window is not distorted. By pressing the "Alt & Enter" keys, it brings the application up to full-screen and it's no longer distorted as when trying to launch it in full-screen.

Hopefully this will work on your Win98 systems.

Comment

I have had no problems running Alpha4v6 in W98 SE.
                  Some laptops use a different screen size than desktop monitors.
                  check the following.
                  start
                  settings
                  control pannel
                  display
                  bottom right corner of the window may be screen size settings. make sure they are both set the same.

Comment

I think the problem is in the way notebook computers work with screen resolutions. If your screen size is 10.4" diagonal, full screen is a 640 x 480 display.

I had a Toshiba with a 12.1" diagonal screen that displayed at 800 x 600 resolution. In full screen mode, there was distortion, but the screen was full.

I just purchased a new Toshiba with a 14" diagonal screen. This provides a 1024 x 768 resolution. When I run Alpha 4, there is a black border around the Alpha display. The size is the equivalent as on the old 10.4" screen.

Ron
                    Alpha 5 Version 11
                    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                    DBF's and MySql
                    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

I just proved this theory. I changed the display while looking at the Windows desktop going from 1024 x 768 down to 640 x 480. Each change added a black border around the windows desktop with the largest border at the 640 x 480.

Ron
                      Alpha 5 Version 11
                      AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                      DBF's and MySql
                      Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

I had the same problem. I fixed it in the BIOS - expand the video.
                        JW

Comment

Working...
                        X