Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

file not found access denied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

file not found access denied

Hello!
    We have had a 5-user Lantastic ver 8 network running Alpha4 version 6.0.11 on win98, win 95, 3.11 and 3.1 machines successfully for some time. I recently made some changes in printers from local to network and now I get the error message when I start the Alpha application, "File not found or access denied". The last time this happened, was a long while ago, and I don't remember the solution, and the notes I made don't seem to apply now.
    Here are the symptoms and observations:
    The application has two sets in it and six databases. If the other machines on the network get out of alpha, it works fine, but shows 0 licensed users in the Status Page, and exclusive for the file sharing mode. The opening main menu screen comes up showing multiuser. If one other machine is on, it will produce the above error message. Efforts to change the file sharing mode, going to Other, Configuration and network settings yield the update records every xx seconds line, but upon returrning to the status page, it still shows exclusive and 0 licensed users. Hitting F7 when opening a file to change to shared does not work.
    We start Alpha4 from the program directory, which is where the a4v6.net file is held on each machine. The data directory is on a separate server.
    The printer issues are resolved and they work fine. We have dialup access on the two problematic machines, as well as on two others which are win 95 and not a problem. Lantastic does not use Netbeui protocol.
    Here is what I have done:
    To increase the user count, I ran the "master" executable from the 5pak's disk 1 that I got some time ago and selected the defaults until I put in the alpha4 directory where the program and a4v6.net file are, and chose the increase user count option. Although I saw a reponse to the effect that the lanpaks were being merged and the user count process had completed, when I went back to the status screen, there was no change. I tried this with four of the 5 pack envelopes of three diskettes. The fifth envelope has been misplaced. The other machines which work ok with alpha show "Shared" as the file sharing mode and 1 as the number of licensed users, even if all three machines which don't have this problem are running at once.
    In the past we have only had this problem if our the number of people using alpha on the network exceeded 5.

It seems to me that with 4 sets of installation diskettes I should be able to get 4 machines to run alpha.
    We can do that if the two problematic machines are not running alpha. One even shows 2 licensed users on the status page (the others all show 1). If I want to run either of the problematic machines, I must shut down all the others and run alpha alone on it and even then it shows 0 licensed users on the status page.
    Suggestions?
    Travis

Re: file not found access denied

Hello!

I am a long time Alpha user. I have my family financial records under alpha4v6 and that has been my sole source of info for over 12 years.

Recently, last 3 months, I have encountered some difficulties. Most recently everytime I start the app, I get the 'file not found access denied' followed by 'letter typset file'
    Those messages are a smoke screen, as right now, I cannot copy or export any dbf from my directory to any directory or root drive, without getting the same message 'file not found access denied'

I am running xp sp3 and automatic update has been on, my wife runs the same xp and alphav4vr, but auto update is not turned on. on her sytemI can export and copy her databases no problem. We are not on a network. no file sharing of any kind

if I put her alpha4 and database on a thumb drive and run on my systems I get the same errors that I normally get.

I can then put that thumb drive back on her machine and run without error. And I can access my dbf and copy them. I am hesitant to put all my records on her system in the event I somehow contaminate her s/w

I seem to have some bad system component.

How do I resolve this? I am at my wit's end. I am now 76 years old and what I could do 15-20 years ago, is a challenge for me now.

Unless I can resolve this problem I will have to abandon years of history and find a new solution to my financial records.

Comment

Hi Dave,
      I had a similar problem a few years ago, I solved it but can't remember exactly how I did it. I recall it may have been something to do with the file attributes. I have a note here that I made sometime ago, telling me to remove the file attributes on all files in the affected folder/directory.

This may be worth a try in your situation. If you open a DOS box and change to your data folder, ie, C:\mydocuments\finances then type attrib -a -r -s -h and press enter this should remove the attributes for the whole folder.

Hope this is of some use.

Good luck

Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith,
        Tried that with no success..

Originally posted by Keith George View Post
        Hi Dave,
        I had a similar problem a few years ago, I solved it but can't remember exactly how I did it. I recall it may have been something to do with the file attributes. I have a note here that I made sometime ago, telling me to remove the file attributes on all files in the affected folder/directory.

This may be worth a try in your situation. If you open a DOS box and change to your data folder, ie, C:\mydocuments\finances then type attrib -a -r -s -h and press enter this should remove the attributes for the whole folder.

Hope this is of some use.

Good luck

Keith

Comment

Working...
        X