Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

*.DAT Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*.DAT Files

Can anyone tell me if thier is a progam for displaying and
    editing dat files please

Kind Regards

John

RE: *.DAT Files

John,

*.DAT files produced by what, for what purpose? DAT is kind of a catchall
    file extension, kinda like .TXT. I've seen multiple uses of it. More infor please.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan

Sorry for lack of information, The DAT file I want to look at are from a program that I used to use for banking it was called Personel Cheque Book or PCB it was a shareware program, The problem is that I archived all the transactions to an archive file but unforunatley once this is done you can not edit them but all the files are *.Dat file extensions
      ie: Transact.dat, Archive.dat does this Help

Kind Regards

John

Comment

In dealing with data from other programs I have found that either exporting it or editing it into a Character-Separated ASCII File format for import into Alpha is the easiest way to go. Sometimes you can more easily import data into spreadsheet programs and the export it to a dbase format Alpha can read directly. The best method depends on what you have and are familiar working with.

The first thing to do is to look and see if your program has any export capabilities. In this case it sounds as if you do not. Sometimes after either copying or renaming a file with a different file extension it can be imported by some programs. You might try this, although I would not put much effort doing this based upon the comments you have provided.

If the suggestions above do not bear fruit and after looking at the manuals I would suggest you do the following. Using a DOS editor such as edit open and look at one of your DAT files and see if they are stored in a text format that can be edited. If they can you can do the following.

Strip off any header information the files might have. Then look and see how the fields are separated and if necessary use a search and replace operation, to place a character to separate the fields. After doing this it may but in most cases not be necessary to add an end of record separator. If you are working with a large number of records and this is necessary using an editor with macro capabilities would be a good idea. Finally after you are done editing save the file with an ASC extension and it will be ready to be imported into Alpha using the Character-Separated ASCII File option.

This is may not be a �Turn Key Solution�, for the problem you are working with but it may get you going in the right direction. It would be greatly appreciated if you would be kind enough to fire back anything you might have learned from your experience in solving this problem as a �Thank you� and something people could learn from although it may not seem to be something people would care about.

There is often a game of �I know more than you are smarter than me going on�. I have not seen it getting in the way of people sharing ideas and concepts here and would hope that if would not stop you any more than others from making comments here. A few comments about how export and import information, is dealt with given from a limited view, is not going to cut it unless people are willing to share the perspectives they have. This is one of the reasons why this discussion board exists and why everyone�s participation; however, perceived as being insignificant is important.

Rich

Comment

I use Alpha Four in my fulfillment business. We receive files in many formats from customers and we must send data in many formats to suppliers and customers, including the credit card processors and freight companies. This includes Mac files as well as all varieties of PC files. Alpha has an importing utility, but it is somewhat limited. Also, if you have a file format that you must import regularly, there is no way to set up an automatic import for that exact file type.

A *.DAT file is generally a fixed ASCII file, though in some cases a character separated file (such as a comma delimited or tab delimited file) is called a *.DAT file.

Most of us have a spreadsheet such as Microsoft Excel. I agree with the other respondent that viewing an unknown file format in either a text editor or in Excel is a good first start. You can visibly see if it has delimiters or not. In Excel, after viewing the file and determining the type you can import it with instructions for handling the ASCII type you encounter. This appears as a note when you select, file, open. You can set parameters for the ASCII file. Once imported I generally save it as a Lotus 123 file, which is very easily imported into Alpha Four.

I also use Alpha's importing utility, but there is a better way to go. I own a product called Data Junction. It is a conversion program supporting many types of data not capable of being handled in Excel or Alpha. You can look at the file, and use many different tools to break it properly. Once broken you can save the conversion. Then the next time you have to break that particular file type it is fully automatic. Just point at that file, use the conversion you have saved, and it converts from (for example) ASCII fixed to Alpha Four or DBase III.

I have about twenty different conversions stored, to include conversions to permit creation of ASCII files for our UPS computer systems from Alpha data, and others to convert credit card data to the bank formats, which are highly complex.

Data Junction is based in Austin Texas. They also have a program called Cambio. This one is a step beyond Data Junction. It permits you to take text and extract data you need. I mean completely unformatted text such as print files.

With these two tools as well as a Mac converter (I use Conversions Plus) you can break anything. Conversions Plus permits you to convert all versions of popular word processors, spreadsheets and even graphic formats to different formats. We get in old Word Perfect files, Office 97 files and various types of text files. All are easily broken with Conversions plus.

Al Cain

Comment

Working...
          X