Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Couldn't load printer definition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Couldn't load printer definition"

When I try to print invoices (in form view), I get an error message "Couldn't load printer definition" and then "ABORT acknowledged, Restoring old printer definition first"

However, I am able to print reports and the like, so I know that I have my printer properly installed in Alpha.

The physical printer that I am using is an HP LJ 4050 with it configured in Alpha as an HP LJ III/IV LGL LNDSCP 6LPI 10CPI

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

RE:

Tim,

How are the invoices supposed to be laid out? Any chance they are
    8 1/2 x 11 Portrait? Is your printer preselected? If so, and you don't
    have it properly configured, it'll act like that.

Dan

Comment

RE:

yes - they are layed out in portrait. I know the printer is pre-selected because I am trying to print the invoices in "form view" by choosing menu options.
      For example, when I launch the application, I choose "B" and then "4" to "print invoices". I know nothing about how these reports were orignally created, I only upgraded the DB from a previous version and am learning as I go.

Can you tell me where to edit the report in "design view" and I think that will help me to try and create a new printer that will print in portrait.

I did try, however, to adjust what printer I had installed. I have "A", "B", and "C" configured. Originally they were all set to various HP LJ landscape mode printer and I tried to change "A" figuring it to be default, to an HP LJ III/IV Letter (Portrait) 6LPI 10CPI and I still got the error when I tried to print my invoices.

I think what you're saying is on the right track - now if I can just figure out how to get into the design view of the report to adjust the printer...

Thanks, Tim

Comment

RE:Couldn't Load printer definition

Hi Tim,

Thanks for waking me up with the e-mail. I didn't notice you'd responded.
        Okay, I'm assuming A4V6, so if I'm wrong, let me know. From the main menu, choose
        Layouts, Forms, Create/Edit a Form, Select the form letter of the form you wish to modify, and once you are on that form, Hit F7 GoTo. Then choose Record Selection
        and Print settings. Part way down is "When to specify output devices" and it's probably set at "Now". Change it to "At print time" and that should do it. (I hope) If your using typeset, it's also available when you hit F7. Let me know
        if this works.

Dan

Comment

Yes - it is A4V6...

the printer setup makes sense and I would think that would do it, but it was already set to "At print time". I tried it a number of ways. I told it to specify device "Now" and told it "A" printer, which is an HP LJ III/IV LETTER 6LPI 10CPI and that didn't work. For some reason in the "form" view, it does not stop and prompt me to select a printer, but goes directly to the error message.

I also tried editing the form and telling it to use "Typeset" with the default of an HP LJ III with Letter and Portrait chosen in the options.

As of right now, the way I have the form set up is:

Method for selecting records to be printed: Range
          When to specify range setttings: At Print Time
          Range settings [A..Z, 2..9 , etc]: 1

When to specify output device: at Print Time
          Output device: Printer

Specify printer: At Print Time
          Printer [etc, etc]: 1
          Single Sheets: No
          Compressed Print: No
          Do Form Feeding after Printing: No
          Print Mode: Standard (also tried Typeset)

The only "Forms" that I have are called "Accounts Receivable Forms". Like I said before, I sort of took over the maintenance of this, so I'm only assuming that the Form View function that I am trying to do "Printing Invoices" is pulling from these forms?

The reason I ask is so that you can tell me if I'm trying to edit the printer defininitions in the wrong place or not, since none of what I tried worked. Could it maybe be a report that I need to edit? I looked at the reports and edited those that had anything to do with Invoicing and still got the same error message when trying to print.

(Starting from when I run Alpha)

When I launch the application, there is a switch in the command line, bacarsys.app, that launches me into a "form" interface (not sure if that's the correct terminology). From here, I choose the "B" option and tell it to "print invoices".

I don't know if that helps you understand better what I am trying to do or not...

Thanks for your help so far. I'm learning if only slowly but surely...

I'm sure this is a simple fix, but somewhat hard to relay electronically...

Tim

Comment

Tim,

It's WAG time. Let me know which of my assumptions are wrong. You are working with a "form", and you application is saying "form". When you used Layout, Create/Edit form, did you see the form you were expecting to print? Did you try printing it to screen? You can make a form with a form, a report or even a letter in Alpha. You might try using the A4DOC.EXE program to get some idea of the underlying "stuff" in this application.

Dan

Comment

no - when I go to Layout, Create/Edit form, I do not see the form that I am accessing. I have printed out the Application Documentation for my .app file that I am accessing.

For the particular "form" that I am trying to print, it is under "B" "Monthly Interest Procedures" and the subheading of "D" "Print Updated Invoices" under that where I get the printer error message...

Basically, when I printed out the Application Documentation using the A4DOC.EXE, that "area" is printed out as follows and I don't know what any of it means.

Menu Text : D - Print Updated Invoices
              Help Line : Prints all Invoices with Interest Charges
              Menu action : Macro (this may be what I need to edit, but not sure how to)
              Macro keys (blank)
              {SCREENON} SRQ{F10}prY{F10}{F10}h{F10}ocspa
              Password : none
              Help File : none

Does any of that make sense to you?

That's all I was able to get to print out of the A4DOC.exe application...

I'm still confused as to where all of this information is in the DB file, but I think we're getting there...

Thanks again for your help,

Tim

Comment

Tim,

Sorry for the delay, I've been REAL busy. I don't have the whole thing
                wrapped up for you, but after five days, I better give you what I have.

That one line under macro keys is the solution
                SRQ{F10}prY{F10}{F10}h{F10}ocspa
                Those are the keyboard shortcut keys:
                S earch
                R un a saved search/sort
                Q uery by form
                F10
                P rint
                R eport and here's where I breakdown Check and see if you have a report letter
                Y
                F10
                F10
                H (Is this the printer letter designation ?
                F10
                o
                c
                s
                p
                a

Try running this manually and see where it leads you. Feel free to wake me up again

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X