Alpha Video Training

Thread: Possible Upgrade from A4 to A5

C Teeter

Default Possible Upgrade from A4 to A5

My company has been using A4v6 & 7 for the last 5 years. However, the person that setup our databases and had any real working knowledge of 'manipulating' the database left & their knowledge went with them. I've been working with the A4 program for about a year strictly for data entry purposes; not messing with any 'ranges' or creating databases or such.

The computer that had this software is going on the blink and I'm thinking we're going to need to get a new computer to install this software on. I've fiddled around with the program to kind of figure out some basics, but nowhere near enough to have to reconfigure/duplicate any databases from scratch (in any workable amount of time anyway). I think we may need to upgrade to a windows based program to hopefully make things easier.

I would like to know if it's possible to import old A4 databases (v6 & 7), into A5 software so that we don't have to do a bunch of guess work.

Thanks
    C. Teeter

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default RE: Possible Upgrade from A4 to A5

Yes and No. You can import the .dbf files (the actual data itself) ONLY. Everything else; forms, menus, reports, browses, etc. must be recreated from scratch.

If you have a second computer with your A4 application running, you can do what I've done a number of times in upgrading for A4 to A5 - bring up the A4 application on one computer and, using it as a model, recreate it in A5. It is a labor intensive task, but worth the effort.

Dave

Real Name
    RT

C Teeter:

Did you make a decision yet? If not, let me add my voice of support to upgrading to Alpha Five ver 5 or 6, I think you'll love it.

Robert T

Real Name
    RT

Hello Again:

I wrote a paper on upgrading from A4 to A5 that highlights all of the key points one must consider when making the switch from DOS to Windows.

Let me also add another point. Many people hesitate to make the change because they have to recreate their application from scratch [your old data is of course intact]. In my opinion, that's a plus, one shouldn't look at it as a negative.

Why do I say that? Although A4 was a great product in the world of DOS, the Windows version is much more powerful and flexible. You can do so many things one could only dream of in the DOS version. If that's true, why would you want to simply duplicate your A4 application in A5? If you only do that, you would be missing out on numerous new features and power available only in the Windows product. Then you may was well stay with A4.

Robert T

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

One other thing to consider; if you make the move to A5V6 - your O/S's MUST be Win2K/XP. While some people may get A5V6 to run on Win98, Alpha does not support this. So, if you are evaluating this transition, consider the cost and time overhead for upgrading the PC's that are not Win2K/XP to Win2K/XP.

The best price that I've seen on an XP upgrade is $199 - can anybody find better???

Mike

Real Name
    Sherrill Stott

CompUSA and Best Buy are both advertising WinXP Pro upgrade for $179 this week. Staples has WinXP Home upgrade at $89.94.

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Hey Robert, where is this paper you wrote?

Real Name
    Paul Hudson

Robert

I'd be really interested in reading that paper - have you posted it anywhere?

Regards
    Paul