Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

So, where's the Rosetta Stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, where's the Rosetta Stone?

Okay, so I finally joined the club [the A4 to A5 Club, that is]. Delayed doing so for approx. 12 years, but now it seemed the time to "bite the bullet". Thought that in that time all the explorers would have marked the trail.

Well, as I've tried to start up a couple A5 copies of dbf's/tables & sets for practice as I become more comfortable and begin to bring the rest of my sets into the 21st century. For help I have again been over these pages, searched the Alpha Five User's Manual, checked the "Book" titles, and can find almost no reference to Alpha Four [A4]. Aaarrrgh!

It seems that someone somewhere would have assembled & offered something like a matching/translating Glossary to help in the translation/transition. All I find is the info that beginners must re learn the languages in order to function. Right now I feel like I'm going thru some sort of "hazing", where the "members" try to convince the "novice" that being beat over the head will build loyalty & confidence. And the victim starts to feel that it is his fault, that he volunteered to join.

Can y'all help us novices find some sort of Rosetta Stone that will explain/translate phrases, titles, commands, scripts, forms, etc. in our ambient language [A4, which was tough enough to learn] so that we may move into Alpha Five more easily?

Some other cliches occurred to me, such as "My kingdom for a horse!", but at this time "Eureka" sure isn't one, Yet.

RE: So, where's the Rosetta Stone?

Here's something that might help you out some(I'm sure that others will off other ideas for learning A% as well):

The newsletter archive had the following articles: Alpha Four to Alpha Five - #1-4:
    http://newsletter.alphasoftware.com/0020307.htm
    http://newsletter.alphasoftware.com/0020403.htm
    http://newsletter.alphasoftware.com/0020504.htm
    http://newsletter.alphasoftware.com/0020610.htm

Comment

Robin,

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the good info. I'm sure that it will come in handy.

I'm still hoping that there is a table [or something] somewhere that will take words or terms in "A4 Speak" & return the "A5 Speak" equivilent.

Take care.
        Craig "e"

Comment

Hello Craig:

PACE Training has developed an online course for transitioning from A4 to A5. However, it is not a tutorial on Alpha Five, it concentrates upon maintaining your A4 data and converting it into an Alpha Five Database.

Once you've moved your A4 data into an A5 application, answering very generic, wide ranging questions isn't easy. It would help if you could ask more specific, narrowly focused questions.

Robert T

Comment

Craig,

Can you give us some examples of terms that you know in Alpha Four that you can't find in Alpha Five?

Or, is the problem the other way round? are you looking for A4 translations for terms you are encountering in A5?

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Re: your first Question
              The A5 start-up welcome says that it will use only the [A4].dbf files. Somewhere, someone suggested that the A5 files be in a separate file, which made me feel better, since that was already done. The Control Panel has a tab for "dbfs/sets" which wud seem to indicate that I may have a choice of choosing an A4 set containing the dbf's, or either, choosing the individual dbf's whille ignoring the A4 set.

Anyway, I've tried several times to get started.

Re: your 2nd Question
              Either way wud work it's the lack om mentions of A4 within the A5 documentations.

Thanks.
              Craig "e"

Comment

Craig,

the only terminology issue I recall is that Alpha Four databases (the DBF files) are now called tables.

You should not attempt to use both Alpha Four and Alpha Five against a common set of 'tables'.

Copy your A4 DBF's and DBT's to a new (empty) folder. Open Alpha Five. Create the new 'database' structure there (in the new folder). Then 'Add' the 'tables' to the database from their new home... not from the A4 database folder.

Warning: It's important that you keep all your tables for a single A5 database in one specific folder. Keep it in the same folder that you use for the A5 database itself.

You cannot use the A4 sets at all in A5. They must be rebuilt there.

However, the work you've done before learning how to sort and search your records, and how to use the lengthy collection of functions in various expressions will all stand you in good stead. They work the same in Alpha Five, so you should little trouble reestablishing your sets in their new home, or in building new indexes.

I suggest one more thing. Resist the temptation to try to immediately build a new version of your A5 application. One can build amazing complex applications with A4, and it's hard work to replicate the same functionality in the Windows environment of A5. A much better approach is to invent a few dummy applications, much smaller in scale and simpler in complexity. Use them as learning devices. Concentrate on learning the Windows' way... don't try to build the familiar DOS app in Windows... you'll drive yourself crazy.

--- tom

Comment

Tom,
                  Thanks for your attention. I've watched the phorum for many years & try to keep my ??'s important by seeking the easier answers elsewhere. Hence by search for a "Rosetta Stone". The closest that I've seen, so far, is an online class offered by Pace. Three weeks ago!

More recently I have downloaded the "A5 Quick Qverview" It starts rite off but when I was interrupted I'm left wondering what kind of time will be needed to start from the top, again.

However:

Your reply reinforced some of my tentative conclusions. And raised some more questions.
                  1. Your "...keep all your tables for a single A5 database in one specific folder"
                  Several of my dbf's reference dbf's in another "LookUp" folder
                  So, I now have my "E:\a5\year04\bank_1.dbf" & "E:\a5\year04\bank_2.dbf" both referencing "E:\a5\lookup\customer.dbf" and/or "E:\a5\lookup\chrtacct.dbf" etc. some of which shcnge frequently.
                  Do you mean that that won't work? Or is it close enuf?

2. You mention "DBT's" After a couple trie of just copying my [a4] dbf's, I have now restored a backup to the a5 folder, but I worry that some or all the support files will be taking up space unnecessarily.

3. As part of the startup/learning process, I plan to be duplicating raw data in both A4 & A5. But not for too long, I hope!

I believe that there are some other issues, but your message is truncated in the "Tom Cone Jr wrote:" window. Guess that I'll have to copy it elsewhere for reference.

Again, thanks.
                  Craig "e'

Comment

Craig,

The only advantage to keeping all the tables in the same folder as the database application itself is that portability is assured. If you put your lookup tables in a different folder it will work fine on your development machine. Howower, if you ever need to move the application to another machine you would then have to recreate the exact same directory and subdirectory structure (including drive letter designations) for the app to work correctly in its new home. Otherwise the original path information stored in the application when you designed it won't work on the new machine, or any machine, cause the drive letters and folder names don't match, until you change the drive letter and folder names by hand. Most would find this intolerable. Doing this kind of thing can unexpectedly cause other applications on your machine to break.

In short, if keeping the lookup tables in a separate folder is what you need or want to do, you can... but you lose convenient portability.

If your app is intended for a LAN, and multi-user access, the difficulties of maintaining matching drive and directory structures should give you pause for reflection. On the other hand if you follow the recommended advice, and store all the tables in the same folder as the database itself, the database will run just fine wherever it is located. I hope this is clear. Let me know if you still have questions.

As you begin your climb up the learning curve, don't overlook the tutorials. They can be a big help.

-- tom

Comment

Craig, your existing A4 application may not use DBT files. They are only present if your database structures include memo fields. Variable length text stored in an A4 database is physically stored in the DBT files that are companions to each DBF file. Don't worry about them if they're not part of your app.

Before signing off I note that you haven't listed any confusing terminologies yet. If you run across something that you can't figure out from the A5 docs give us a holler. If you are looking for an A5 equivalent for a familiar A4 routine, likewise. On the other hand if your concern is simply that you 'might' have this kind of trouble one day... and you'd feel better if there were a 'rosetta stone' available, I'd encourage you to relax. You'll find lots of helping hands willing to assist.

The transition from DOS to Windows is apt to be difficult for you, especially if your development experience has been limited to Alpha Four. Learning how the interface works, and then how to build something that gives your app the necessary flexibility, but still assures the integrity of your data, will take some effort. While this may seem a high price to pay it pales in comparison to the effort that would be required with other database development packages.

-- tom

Comment

In addition to Pace Training's webinar on this subject, may I also recommend the following:

Susan Bush, author of Alpha Five Made Easy, devoted almost one quarter of her v5 book to A4 transition issues. This segment was co-authored by Francie Peake. The book is available from the following link:

http://www.libertymanuals.com/products.asp?REFERER=123Alpha

I would also contact Francie Peake directly to see when another of the Bush/Peake seminars will be held. Francie can be reached at: [email protected]

This is what I found on the subject in an archive of Alpha's newsletter:

Register now! Alpha Five seminar to be held in Atlanta in March
                        Great News - Francie Peake and Susan Bush will hold a seminar to take place in Atlanta, March 26-28, 2004. The seminar expands their popular GET INTO ALPHA FIVE! seminar, offering both Level 1 and Level 2 sections.
                        http://peakedatabase.com/seminars.htm

-Jeannette Cook
                        Alpha Software Customer Service and Marketing

Comment

Working...
                        X