Alpha Video Training

Thread: alph4v6 backup files

Lawrence Estelle

Default alph4v6 backup files

Is there a way of loading a backup copy of a alpha4 database into alpha 5? Or is only the dbf files accepted by alpha 5?

Real Name
    RT

Default RE: alph4v6 backup files

I'm not sure what you mean by a backup copy of a database. In Alpha Four, a dbf file is called a database. In Alpha Five it is called a data table and there can be one or multiple data tables stored in the same database. In fact,that's usually the case.

Forms, reports, and scripts created in Alpha Four will not work in A5. If they did, we wouldn't need A5. However, A5 will use dbf files created in A4 without any modification.

Does this help?

Robert T

Real Name
    Duncan Greenshields

Robert;
    What Lawrence is talking about is the built in backup facility in A4. It will automatically backup and compress all the A4 fils associated with the data base or set ("tables", field rules, reports, forms, label, indices etc.) It backs it up and compresses to a file with the ".bck" extension.

Then you use the restore facility in A4 to restore all the data.

It is my understanding that this backup and restore routine was a 3rd party facility that Alpha incorporated with A4 (not 100% sure of this, however).

I suspect Lawrence will have to use A4 to restore his "tables" and then re-do all the other bits in A5. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Duncan

Real Name
    RT

Duncan:

Thanks for the explanation. Based upon your description, that Alpha Four backup will not work in A5. As I said earlier, the file structure and paradigm is very different, therefore, forms, reports, and scripts created in A4 are incompatible with A5.

There is a good reason for that, Windows processes information in a manner that is very different than it's DOS predecessor. If the Windows version worked like DOS, then we wouldn't need A5. As a result, Alpha Five brings lots of power and flexibility that isn't possible in the world of DOS, where only one table [database] is open at a time. In A5, one has access to multiple data tables simultaneously, which in turns opens the door to greater flexibility and power.

Robert T

Lawrence Estelle

Thanks to Duncan and Robert for answering my question. I went back and pulled the whole dbf file and prted it over. It works okay so now I just have to create the v5 forms and such to make it work. Thanks again...