Alpha Video Training

Thread: Find Records Fast

Stephen Radnovich

Default Find Records Fast

I am trying to convert to A5 from A4. I would like to make the switch the most efficiently as possible. I have a client data base that I use to look up phone numbers and addresses. I have the A4 data base open in find, I enter 3 letters, then the client appears. If more than 1 name I use the arrow down. This is actually pretty quick. I want to set up A5 to be as fast as possible. I can't seem to get A5 to open the data base from the desktop. I do have it open the desired form on start up, but it opens at the tabbed sub-form so I have to move the scroll bars both up and to the left. The part that does not show is the client name and number and 6 buttons. The Find menu item takes too much time and mouse clicks. Any suggestions?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

Default RE: Find Records Fast

If you make the form smaller it will all fit without scrolling. (You may also have to save the size and pozition in properties)
    If you set the index using the on activate event, you can then use action scripting to make a find button. You will have to click on it to find. You can open the find box also with the on activate as well if you wish but this might be overkill.

Russ

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Stephen,

The standard find by key dialog is pretty flexible, and can be rolled up after use. It's available again with a single mouse click and can be configured to work off the current index or sort order. As you type the beginning portion of a search key Alpha tries to autocomplete the key. Press enter to run the search at any time.

To open the find by key dialog when the form opens just attach an action script to the OnInit event of the form. This script would run the standard find by key dialog.

-- tom

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Stephen Radnovich wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I am trying to convert to A5 from A4. I would like to make the switch the most efficiently as possible. I have a client data base that I use to look up phone numbers and addresses. I have the A4 data base open in find, I enter 3 letters, then the client appears. If more than 1 name I use the arrow down. This is actually pretty quick. I want to set up A5 to be as fast as possible. I can't seem to get A5 to open the data base from the desktop.

Have you tried using the create shortcut option under tools?

I do have it open the desired form on start up, but it opens at the tabbed sub-form so I have to move the scroll bars both up and to the left. The part that does not show is the client name and number and 6 buttons. The Find menu item takes too much time and mouse clicks. Any suggestions?

Stephen Radnovich

Thanks that works just fine.