Alpha Video Training

Thread: Huh

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Default Huh

I'm all for helping anybody and everybody get into the Alpa5 mode. After all, the ole' DOS interface is fast going the way of the dodo bird. Once indoctrinated to the Windows interface, there's no going back.

Having said something positive, here's the negative: I'm not sure what this section of the board covers that isn't already covered in the V3, V4 and V5 sections. It seems the same issues are covered in better detail there. Now I've got another place to check.

Just my $0.2 worth.

Real Name
    RT

Default RE: Huh

Hi Ohlen:

I’m sure what you said reference this topic being discussed in the Version 3,4, and 5 sections is very true. However, I think management at Alpha Software wants one discussion board set aside specifically for this topic. Then A4 users, who are ready or thinking about making the move to Windows, can simply post all of their questions in one central location. I think that’s a lot easier for them then searching the entire board for threads related to the migration from A4 to A5.

Robert

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

And in addition to what Robert says, some of the responses that are on the subject of this board, when they are asked and answered on the other board(s), sometimes tend to assume the asker knows more than they actually do.

This board should hopefully keep the answers simplier and more to the point.

I think we want to bring more A4 users into the A5 fold - I know that when I was going through the 'conversion' (if I'm through it yet), I didn't want 'big picture, down the road' answers, I just wanted a KISS answer to my immediate question.

Dave

Real Name
    RT

Let's continue along the lines of where this discussion is going. In other sections, especially Alpha Five, veteran Alpha users frequently come up with complex solutions that I believe often confuse new users.

For example, I’ve frequently seen Alpha veterans respond to questions posed by new users suggesting the use of Xbasic scripts, Conditional Objects, and or the use of variables as part of their solutions. Although responders obviously mean well, I think those types of answers, that incorporate geek terminology, often contuse and/or intimidate Alpha newbies.

In this forum, let's assume users have little or no knowledge of Alpha Five and the terminology. In light of that realization, respondents will hopefully come up with solutions that are easy to understand and implement.

Robert T.

Robert

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Robert, that makes sense, and is a good idea.

-- tom

JIM VAN AUKEN

I NEED HELP IN CONVERTING. DO YOU KNOW OF ANYONE IN THE sYRACUSE, NY AREA I CAN NETWORK WITH?

JIM VAN AUKEN