Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

User Id's & Passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User Id's & Passwords

Hi again :),

Say, could I ask for a little help?? Is there anyway you can append a record to any of the Alpha info DB's?? Like the 'User' DB?

The reason I ask is, my client has asked me to incorporate a network type entrance to the app. User Id + Passwords.

I know in A5V5 I can place them in the register, but A5V1 looks like no go? Has any one writen code that pertains to this type of security?? If so, could I explore it with them? Sorry if this is old stuff, but I'm not what you call an Alpha Ops person :) if you know what I mean :).

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Mac

P.S.
    Still working on upgrade to A5V5 on app :)

RE: User Id's & Passwords

Mac

You probably haven't gotten a response because no one can think of how to do that in v1.

You may need to wait until you get the conversion to v5 done.

In addition, you may want to consider just jumping to v6 at this point. All of your work in v5 will be usable in v6, but there are a lot more features in v6.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al,

Thanks for that info - I kind of figured so. Just a quickie question Al - you can actually append secured data inside of a dictionary file tho' - can't you? I mean thru the dd_open()? If I can do that - then maybe I can satisfy them temporarily until the upgrade is done :)

Another question Al? I have the full version of A5V5/w runtime installed and with a 3-user license. I was looking at the products page for upgrades, but I'm afraid of choosing the wrong upgrade??? :( Could you maybe lead me in the right direction for a 3-user?

Thanks bunch,

Mac

Comment

Mac

The best advice I can give you about upgrades is to call Brett Johnston at Alpha Software. He can give you the best choices for what you need.

As far as the dictionary updates, I'm not the one to talk to. Perhaps some one else can help.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Since A5 V1 had no concept of database "Users" there is no built-in method to protect access to a V1 database. As a result anyone doing V1 development had to create a front-end. This is relatively simple to do but cannot provide the built-in security features of V5/6.

The general approach was
          (1) Create a table of users and passwords
          (2) Attach an encryption function to the password field. It didn't have to be super fancy, just enough to make it hard for most users not to be able to read it in plain english.
          (3) set up a login screen that asked for the password and checked the text entered with the value in the password field in the user table.

These techniques work fine in a network environment.

Is this what you mean?

It occurs to me that, if you own the unlimited runtime of V5, you might be able to package the V1 application inside of a V5 "shell" solely to provide the front end with some encryption. Of course those tables couldn't be accessed from V1 which might limit the usefulness of the method.

I haven't done this, mind you, so I haven't really thought much about it. On the other hand, I have packaged a V5 app inside a V4 app to do some special printing, so it's not as wild as it might sound.

Finian

Finian

Comment

Finian,

Thanks for the comback there :). I did exactly like you said with another table. I guess that's the only way I could figure :). I'm just a little to green to try and do a front-end approach there, and the data is extremely confidential, so I don't really want to leave them out in space until I figure it out :).

Thanks again there Finian :)

Mac

Comment

Working...
            X