Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

changing computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing computers

I haved been using Alpha 5 for about 10 years. It has not been upgraded and I have been running it on an old 385 PC. I want to transfer the program and files to a new computer. What do I do?

RE: changing computers

A5v1 will run on Win2000 and WinXP, but it does have some "issues". It works fine on Win98. First, because it is a Windows 3.0 program, it doesn't recognize long file names. Therefore, the install directory should be from the root directory and only use 8 character names. For example

c:\a5v1\files

will work fine, but

c:\My documents\data files

will not work and the program won't find any tables. Also, if you read some of the posts, certain operations may result in not being able to edit some structures. I don't remember the exact scenarios, but I still have one A5V1 program running on Win2000 Pro and it works ok. However, I keep a full backup made before moving off Win98. I have had to copy files from that backup on more than one occasion when the program stopped working. Usually, I only need to copy the data dictionary files (ddd, ddm, ddx) or set files (set, sem, sex). I have never lost any data files (dbf), but have run into situations where a form design is lost or won't open. Restoring the data dictionary files fixes that problem.

Jerry

Comment

My new computer is running Windows ME. Okay, it's not that new a computer. My other option is to go to my IMAC but I figured the PC would be easier. I am using it as a database to track a videotape library. I'm wondering if I should buy a different program that is more suited to my needs. But then I don't know how to convert the data.

Comment

Marika,

Perhaps your best option is to upgrade to the latest version of Alpha Five (version 6 at this posting).

For the most part, the code is upward compatible, with the exception of calling applications and resetting primary tables.

You will eventually need to do this anyway, as sooner or later you will have a version of windows that will no longer execute A5v1 properly.

It's best to invest a little time now adjusting the code where needed. From the description of your application, it doesn't sound that complicated and may even run without changes.

Comment

If you are running ME, A5V1 should work fine with no changes. Just observe the 8 character rule for all directories.

You could ungrade, and Melvin is correct, eventually you will be forced to upgrade as new operating systems obsolete existing systems. Usually, A5V1 does upgrade ok to A5V5 and newer. However, sometimes it requires a number of changes to get it to work. In some cases, it is easier to start over in the new version.

As long as you are using ME or Win98 and are comfortable with the existing program, just install it and go. You may want to purchase the A5V5 home version (or A5V6 home version when it is available) and experiment with the new versions. There are a huge number of improvements that could be incorporated into a database and that would get you a head start on the eventual need to replace V1.

Jerry

Comment

I'm having the problem that jerry brightbill mentioned; data files can be created, deleted, etc, but NOT edited.

We had win 98 boxes for two users that use a consultant developed drug court system for us....like 10 years ago and though new software will replace this within 8 months, they need a fix NOW.

What I did was set up win xp boxes and since we don't have the diskettes anymore to do an install onto the XP (the program/data is on a 5.x Novell server)I just copied the shortcut and from the win98 desktop and i was surprised, but it does work.....like I said, all except when editing records.

Can this be fixed simply? I have no program diskettes to run an install on the local box, since we can't find the originals. Help!

Comment

I'm having the problem that jerry brightbill mentioned; data files can be created, deleted, etc, but NOT edited.

We had win 98 boxes for two users that use a consultant developed drug court system for us....like 10 years ago and though new software will replace this within 8 months, they need a fix NOW.

What I did was set up win xp boxes and since we don't have the diskettes anymore to do an install onto the XP (the program/data is on a 5.x Novell server)I just copied the shortcut and from the win98 desktop and i was surprised, but it does work.....like I said, all except when editing records.

Can this be fixed simply? I have no program diskettes to run an install on the local box, since we can't find the originals. Help!

Comment

If you've installed that program on an XP box, you can try right clicking on the shortcut and the clicking on properties.
                Select the compatability tab, then check
                "Run this program in compatability mode for:"

and choose Windows 95, the Apply.

See if that resolves the edit problem.

Comment

Yeah, we did try that.. I should have mentioned it, but thanks for even thinking of my problem!

Comment

Please elaborate on what exactly occurs when you try to edit records.

I have A5v1 on XP with no problem editing/deleting data.

Comment

really, the data/apps are on a novell server and on the desktop is nothing more than a shortcut to the program (if im not mistaken).......and when the users 92) go to edit, it just does not keep the edited info. They make edits in a comment box per record....it is text entering in a comment line and whenever they click to 'save' it just disappears as if an 'auto erase' button was clicked on.

I would try installing alpha 5 on the local box, but we cannot find the original diskettes....

I hope this explains more; im no expert on A5.

Comment

Dave,

The symtoms you describe sound like you problem might actually be more of a Novell Permission problem.

The way it works is that the user is entering data into a buffer, and the record is not written to disk until the
                        'Save' or F9 is chosen. If they do not have permission, it
                        will seem like nothing has been saved.

I would check that the directory the data is in has Write permission for World or All (my novell memory is a bit weak.

If it is not a permit problem, I will zip up the disks and send later today.

Comment

Cool. I can appreciate that.

Yes, I verified that all novell rights as needed are provided for this group. They can do anything except edit. I am going to go down there again and see what if I can gleen more info.....but again, I appreciate your sending me the program so that I can go ahead and run the install program on the local box and then see if that makes a difference....if there is a trick to follow, please do not hestitate to throw that at me, too.

I appreciate every and all responses, guys.....

Comment

Dave,

If I remember (or don't) correctly, programs have rights also,
                            so perhaps the A5 application is missing the Write permisson?

Comment

Dave,

4 zip files have been sent to your direct email.

Disk1, Disk2 & Disk3 can all be unzipped to same directory
                              to install.

Put Update in separate directory.

Good luck,
                              Melvin

Comment

Working...
                              X