Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

help with labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with labels

We would like to print labels for current inventory. Our database contains "item ID" and "qty in stock" fields along with a few others. The problem is that we need to print a label (or a report that we make to fit a label sheet) that prints the current number of labels for each item in stock. For example: We have 38 of "widget A" and 20 of "widget B", we would need 38 "widget A" labels and 20 "widget B" labels.

We have tried a few different approaches and have yet to solve this problem.

Any suggestions??

RE: help with labels

Andy,

The way I solved a similar problem was to use a temporary
    database that is updated by a script.

It's too complicated to list out in this short note, but I'll try to give you the general idea.

1. Create a separate database "qtylbls" that will be
    used to print the labels.

2. create a script that:
    a. zap's the database
    b. loop's through the "inventory" and adds X records
    for each "item ID" that will be printed.
    eg: if "qty in stock" is 4 for "item ID" ABC,
    then loop through and enter 4 records for
    "item ID" ABC
    c. open the "qtylbls" database and print the labels.

Hope that helps.

Comment

RE: help with labels-a little more

thank you, I WAS off to the races with the short script that I wrote below but am over my head, I think ! I am having trouble getting the ACTUAL field values. Does anyone know if there is a similar script for getting values that I could add to my script below?

'---zap the label database----'
      response=ui_msg_box("Erase Previous Labels?","Are you sure?",36)
      if response=6 then
      safety=.T.
      else
      safety=.F.
      end if
      db_zap(db_current(),safety)

'---close database if open in change or enter mode---'
      If db_mode_get(db_current())>0 then
      sys_send_keys("{F9}")
      end if

'---enter x amounts of records from items database based on qty in stock---'
      '---the "test item" and "B" need to be actual values from a different database called "items.dbf"---
      '---the very next line needs to get qty info from the "items.dbf" in stock qty-NOT user entered---'

Let X=val(ui_get_number("enter","how many records?","0","999"))

for i =1 to X
      enter_begin(db_current())
      Labels->item="test item"
      Labels->rev="B"
      enter_end(db_current(),.T.)
      next i

card_resynch()

END

Comment

Andy,

You'll have to work out the minor details, but the script
        below should give you some idea of how it's done.
        =================================================

db1 = db_use('Labels.dbf', FILE_RW_SHARED)
        db2 = db_use('Items.dbf', FILE_RW_SHARED)

Ret_code = fetch_first(db2)
        WHILE .NOT.fetch_EOF(db2)

if ...item meets criteria for label ...
        ...otherwise... goto SKIP_RECORD
        enter_begin(db1)
        Labels->item = Items->item
        Labels->rev= Items->rev
        enter_end(db1, .T.)
        end if

SKIP_RECORD:
        fetch_next(db1)
        END WHILE
        ===============================================

Comment

Thank You Melvin I appreciate your patience and support. However, I think I am just a LITTLE bit off now. With the script below I get only blank fields but what appears to be the correct # of new records. Do you see anything that would cause this?? The fields in both databses are the same type and size and there are no restriction on the labels database as far as case, lookups or anything-no field rule sat all.

db1=db_use("labels.dbf",file_rw_shared)
          db2=db_use("items.dbf",file_rw_shared)

'---close databases if open----'

if db_mode_get(db1)>0 then
          sys_send_keys("{F9}")
          end if

if db_mode_get(db2)>0 then
          sys_send_keys("{F9}")
          end if

'---zap labels dbf---'
          response=ui_msg_box("Erase previous labels?","Are you sure?",36)
          if response=6 then
          safety=.T.
          else
          safety=.F.
          end if
          db_zap(db1,safety)

Ret_code=fetch_first(db2)
          while .not.fetch_EOF(db2)

If items->totalqtyitem=items->item
          labels->rev=items->rev
          enter_end(db1,.T.)
          end if

skip_record:
          fetch_next(db2)
          end while

ui_msg_box("O.K.","The Labels Database is Ready")

END

Comment

Andy,

Aside from two occurences of

(redundant)

I don't really see anything wrong.

You might try

adding debug(1) just after the field assignments
            in enter and then check what values are in
            labels and items.

Good luck, and may the code be with you!
            Melvin

Comment

Working...
            X