Alpha Video Training

Thread: Summaries

VAR
    Real Name
    Mike Reed

Default Summaries

I'm trying to set up a summary dbf that among other things selects a group of records between two dates in the format
    04/01/02 to 04/31/02 using a variable input to enter two dates and then I want to total information in several other fields between the above mentioned dates

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default RE: Summaries

Filter expression to select the records would be

between(datefld,var->sdate,var->edate}

where datefld is the name of your table field that you wish to use in the filter, sdate is the beginning date variable, and edate is the ending date variable

Real Name
    john linley

Default Re: Summaries

Good morning all:

I need to obtain a record count from a child table of unique dates !!
    Assume an invoice has seven line items, with seven different delivery dates. The recourd count would then be 7 which in turn would create a billing of 7 delivery charges. If two deliveries occurred on the same date, there would only be one delivery charge for that date. In some instances, in a month, there can be 15 or 20 line items billed but only 7 or 8 unique delivery dates. I would need to have a record count (or some other method) by which this value can be captured. Have attemted to calculate this value on the calculated fields of the invoice form.

Would appreciate any help.

John Linley

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Seems you might want to summarize (operation, creating a temporary table) the invoice line items table grouping by delivery date. Count is available as a summary function. Then total the count field for your total delivery charges number.
    There can be only one.

Real Name
    john linley

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    Seems you might want to summarize (operation, creating a temporary table) the invoice line items table grouping by delivery date. Count is available as a summary function. Then total the count field for your total delivery charges number.
    Stan, Thank you for the quick response.
    I am already (grouping) the delivery items by a part number. If a part number is repeated multiple times in the same invoice, it would show only once on the actual invoice, but the qty field would be summarized.
    eg:
    If a qty (2 each)of part nbr "refill80z" were delivered 4 times the invoice would show..
    << 8 "refill8oz" @ 20.00 160.00 >>

Most likely that same invoice item was delivered on 4 different dates, hence the need for a different (separate) summary by unique dates.

I should have mentioned this in my first posting.

The summary by part # takes precedence over the date issue which could be handled manually by just counting the unique dates and entering that qty on the invoice form. I was hoping to save the effort of perusing the dates and doing that.

Is your prior suggestion still applicable ?

Thanks and regards,

John