Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Slow report generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow report generation

I have been using Alpha 5 v1 for a while and am experiencing extremely slow report generation. Could anyone give me some insight into set generation or report structure. I am using Pentium III 486s and some reports take over 5 minutes. Help.

RE: Slow report generation

There are a variety of things that can influence the speed of report generation, from the way you have the reports set up to how full the hard drive on your machine is.

In terms of report elements, lines, boxes, and other graphic objects seem to really slow things down. Summary fields in headers slow things down. Lots of calculations done at report generation time slow things down.

Want to sort some of it out? Make a copy of your report and start deleting an element at a time and see what difference it makes.

I'm sure there are other factors as well...

Comment

Bob,

In addition to Paul's comments, another major factor is if you are reporting against a SET vs. a single Database (db).

SET's that have many related child records take much longer as the report accesses the master record and then has to fetch all related child records, which, as you can see, multiples the time by a factor of x. If there is more than one child db, than it becomes more complex.

I hope that is of some help,
      Melvin

Comment

I appreciate your input. However, my concern is that if you produce a form on the screen which has all the relevent information and you simply summarize the data and reformat the presentation the time should be the same. If I pull up a specific record in a set for project, customer and production it displays in form view instantaneously. For example, if I want to see production on a set of orders I can pull up the form view and all the information is there. However, if I want a report on these orders by date range it can take a minute. I can actually look at all the records I want in form view manually quicker than I can generate a report.

Comment

One more side note.

Don't forget to check off: Optimize complex reports
          under Print time optimizations in Report Proerties!

Comment

So the question is why generating a report is so much slower than viewing the same records through a form on the screen?

The Alpha routines for generating reports tend to take more time than some competing programs. I don't know why that is. I know that the more grouping levels and summary fields and child sets you have the slower it runs, and I believe that Alpha only fetches a single record at a time when viewing through a form but prepares the entire report (reading through all the records and calculating all of the summary fields) before sending any part of it to the screen or printer.

One thing that might help if you are running a report on a subset of records in your database is to run a query to select the records you want to limit the number the report generator has to process and then printing the report rather than letting the report generator filter for the records you want or some other method. You might try having your records indexed in the order the report needs prior to sending the report to the printer rather than letting the report generator order them (I haven't tried that to see if it makes a difference or not).

I know some other products have nearly instantaneous report generation, but on the flip side, they don't offer the same capabilities in reporting, either.

Comment

I have tried the query and indexing of the set to match the report groupings without significant increase in speed. This system was written for me by someone else who is no longer in my employ. I am not that well versed in Alpha 5 but have significant programming experience. The associated problem with the slow run time is the lock out of the data bases during the running of the reports. I would think there is a way around this but don't have the time to pursue. I run the business and only touch the Alpha 5 as a necessity.

I suppose I should either convert to another or look to some outside help. These weekly reports are killing us.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I have but thank you.

Comment

RE: Conversion

Is converting to a newer version practical and would it help.

Comment

I don't recall that there was a significant difference in report generation speed as A5 was updated. I don't work on a network so someone who does may be better able to address your concern.

You might want to investigate other products, but I'd do some careful evaluation before I jumped. I know there are other products that have faster report generation speed but you'd give up some of the advantages Alpha Five has to gain that speed in reporting. You have to balance the strengths of various products against your needs. There may be something out there that comes closer.

You may want to post a question on the v4 forum asking about report generation speed on a network in v4 and see what kind of response you get. Make sure to include the information that the report generation speed problem for you is related to network lockout while the report is generated.

Which raises an interesting thought. Perhaps when you need to run the report you could copy the database data to a standalone copy of the application and run the report from there while the network continued to run. If I understand you correctly, it's the lockout that's the problem and this would avoid that problem.

Comment

If you have your A5v1 manual laying about, page 13-32 explains Setting Print Options. It offers two options that may effect printing speed: Optimize Complex Reports, which has already been suggested, and Don't Lock Database, which the manual says "enables other users or sessions to access the database or set. The report normally locks the database to assure accuracy; while the report prints, the underlying data cannot be changed. If you want to be able to change the data, even while it is being used by the report, check this box."

I don't know what the ramifications of doing that would be. You might experiment and see. The manuals for newer versions don't mention these options, so there may well be substantial differences in how the program handles these situations.

By the time you get to version 4, one of the new features was network optimization which speeds performance over a network. I don't know what it would do for your situation.

Another thing you may try if the speed of your printer is any part of the bottleneck is simply printing to a file. The program saves a file that is formatted with all the proper printer codes and all you have to do is copy the file to the printer to get a printout.

Comment

Working...
                      X