Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Two error messages which have me stumped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two error messages which have me stumped!

I have come across two error messages which has caused a great deal of frustration since the first of this new millenium. We are running Alpha 5 V1.0.0 at work on a network and maintain our employee database.

1)Agie Beringhaus stated the first problem that has us baffled and that is within a set she has had to update/add evlauation month and quarter when due. We can add the month and quarter (which are text fields) but get the error "Record is past end of DB". Obviously we cannot save the record and Agie has not been able to process her reports on a monthly basis.......we can only run the current report and handwrite the correct data in. Not any fun with 2,00 employees.

2) Any time we try to query on a date field, index on a date field, or actually do anything with a date field, we get the following error message :RP corrupt - please terminate program".

Your eternal wisdom is most appreciated. We will be updating to Version 4 but I know that I will have to work with staff to understand how it works and what is different from Version 1. I have zipped the work files and can replicate the problems with Version 1.0.0 on my computer at home which is not networked. I have just received and installed Version 4 at home and none of the problems can be replicated. That is the good news!

Any help you can provide and make it work better before I can transition the staff to the new version will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Jan

RE: Two error messages which have me stumped!

Jan,

I've seen similar problems before.
    To deal with the more serious ':RP corrupt'
    you can probably fix it with the following
    technique. It's usually caused by some 'weird'
    values in a column that is used for an index.
    Try this.
    Create a directory called SAVE
    then in the control panel
    1. Select the Database
    2. Select Tools
    3. Select Copy
    4. In the copy card, make sure you click
    Copy, Options and insure that BOTH Copy records
    and Copy Data-Dictionary are checked off.
    Then copy the db to a db with the SAME name in
    the SACE directory.
    5. Verify your copy is good by selected the copied db
    and viewing it. Then use windows to copy it over the original db. The corruption should be gone.

Your other problem of 'Record is past end of DB' can occur when you have a Form in set with a browse of a child table.
    I'm not sure why, but under certain conditions, even though
    you successfully add to the child db, that error occurs. Choosing F9 at that point will leave the new record in. Therefore, A5 is tellling you it only wants you to add one record at a time to the child.

Hope that helps,
    Melvin

Comment

Melvin's advice sounds good but remember this:
      BACK IT UP FIRST!

Even bad data is better than no data.

I can't remember how many times I've run into people who didn't backup before making significant changes (or, on a regular basis for that matter) and were REALLY sorry later.

This is not intended to imply that there should be any danger in doing what Melvin suggested. Only that 'stuff' happens!

Also, you might want to download the free upgrade to v1.02. There are a number of improvements and nothing that I can recall will negatively affect your application.

Finally, Hurray for moving to v4. It's a little different but actually easier, and definitely more powerful, once you get used to it. One question: did they say anything about the cost to upgrade to v5 when it comes out this summer?

Cal

Comment

Melvin,

Thanks for the solutions. One has worked perfectly and that is the soluiton to fix the "RP corrupt - please terminate program".

I am not having luck yet with the "REcord is past end of DB". You are correct in that records are created in the child database each time we enter and try to save using F9 but the data is unviewable or even workable. I will continue to seek solutions for this problem.

I am an amateur when it comes to working with sets and even databases but Alpha was so easy to lay out the structure for all of the programs I have created.....it is just fully understanding the detail of what is behind the operations and how they work.

Thanks again, Melvin!
        Jan

Comment

Cal,

Thanks for the information. You are correct in the "BACK UP FIRST". I did this prior to implementing Melvin's solution but why I did it I'll never know. I often forget to back-up and then am so sorry.

I have not talked with Alpha re: the upgrade to V4 so don't know what it means in cost to go to V5. Once we purchase the Alpha5 V4 network software, it will be a long while before we will have funds authorized to upgrade again.

Adios Amigos,
          Jan

Comment

Jan,

Glad to be of assistance. :)

BTW, with regards to the "Record is past end of DB", check the structure of the child db has an INDEX or FIELD RULE with the UNIQUE requirement. I can't say for sure but that might be why it won't allow the entry.

Melvin

Comment

Melvin,

I will check that out. Something I wanted to share on your solution to the "RP corrupt - please terminate program" error. Besides Cal's recommendation to back-up first, I found that all the files I had marked for deletion became unmarked with the change. It was not obvious at first but quickly discovered by one of my staff. Therefore, one of the steps needs to be to pack your file prior to copying the database.

Thanks again,
              Jan

Comment

Janis - as an aside, if you are going to continue to use v1 for a while, you really should update it to v1.02, available (free) on the Alpha board. I have been using v1 for years (and will continue using it), but found that there were MANY wierd problems with v1.0.0, most if not all fixed by the upgrade.

Lowell

Comment

Try rebuilding all indexes including those within a "set".

It's a good idea to do this at least once a week and absolutely whenever you exit A5 abnormally

Comment

Working...
                  X