Alpha Video Training

Thread: Database has disappeared

David Vigil

Default Database has disappeared

Help! While attempting to print a portion of my maillist (Alpha 5, version 3.04) to send Christmas cards to only certain of my mail contacts, somehow I have lost my entire database. I had marked the records that I wanted to print, but when I went to "print preview", it appeared that all records were going to print. Don't clearly recall what I did, as recomended in help file for marking and printing only selected records, but now my database has disappeared. Since I did not delete or compress or any other operation, I believe that my file is still there, but I can't find and open it. Any Alpha 5 experts in Denver?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    David C. Vigil
    Denver, CO

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Default RE: Database has disappeared

Can you see your database files in Windows Explorer? If so, they're still on the hard drive. Let us know if the tables are there, then we can suggest a solution.

Like you, I suspect they're still there and just not showing up.

David Vigil

Thanks, Ohlen - The files are in the heirarchy: A5v3 - Templates - Tables - Mailing List - (Mailing List Database files and Mailing List files)(there are duplicate sets of files with .Alx, .Alm, .Alk, .Ddd, .Ddm and .Ddx extensions, as well as alpha logo files labeled "Database for Mailing List" and "Mailing List".
    I can't get any files to open with expected data and attempting to open some gives message "unexpected filr format" or some such. Files seem to be there.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    David C. Vigil

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

It sounds to me like you've mixed your database with the A5V3 files. Here's what I'd do.

First let's make sure we're speaking the same language. A table is a file with the suffix .dbf, .cdx, .fpt., )these files hold the data and indexes) .ddd .ddm .ddx (these hold the forms, field rules, etc.).

The .adb .alb .alm .alx files are your database files and should have the name you assigned to your database.

Move the first group of files to a new folder (I always make mine a subfolder of the A5 program files) but you can do it anyway you want. Then create a new database and place it in the same new folder. Then, using the control panel, add your tables to the new database. This should give you a functioning database in it's own folder.

Remember to open the database. If you try to open individual tables, Alpha will create a database to put the tables in. This may explain the duplicate files.

When you have it all working you can delete the tables and database files from the program folder.

David Vigil

Thanks again, Ohlen - I've created a new folder, although the old folder was among those that are installed by A5, in the "Tables" subfolder, under the "Templates" folder. I've put the new folder immediately under the A5 folder and have copied the files that you described as table files (data, indexes,forms, field ruls, etc.) into the new folder, which I've called "New Maillist".
    I've opened A5 and created a new, empty database in the new folder. I looked at the A5 control panel and cannot for the life of me figure out how to add the tables to the new database.
    I feel like i'm so nar and yet so far.
    Thanks,
    David C. Vigil

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

>>I looked at the A5 control panel and cannot for the life of me figure out how to add the tables to the new database.

David Vigil

Ohlen -
    A miracle! While playing around with Alpha 5, I discovered that I had no .dbf file in the directory "Tables", tried looking in "Database" directory and found what looked promising. Got the file loaded and it appeared to contain only the first entry of 487 that should have been in the file. Tried "operations" and exported ti diskette - showed that 487 records had been successfully exported! That let me know that they REALLY were there! Now I seem to have the entire database back, although, perhaps not as recently updated, which I don't understand - but so what, most of it's there. Thanks for your patience and all of your help. I really should try to learn more about the operation of Alpha 5, but have been satisfied to simply maintain this simple name, address, phone number database for mailings. The overlay view looks like it could be much an improvement over the simple table view that is all I've ever used.
    Again, thanks,
    David C. Vigil