Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Upgraded to XP and Stacks won't Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to XP and Stacks won't Work

I recently got a new computer with Windows XP Professional version. We currently are running Alpha 5 version 2. I copied all files and have added all dbases in proper places but I keep getting errors when I try to open up my Card stacks. The error says StoreCreate occurred while trying to start application.
    When I try to add a new stack I get this error: The system cannot find the file specified.
    ...c:progra.dbf

RE: Upgraded to XP and Stacks won't Work

Did you see the thread about Alpha 5 ver 2 below. It mentions going to properties and clicking on the compatiability button which might fix you problem.

Comment

I did that on install. All of my alpha 5 works except for the card stacks and the forms. It says its missing a file, I did a search on this computer and the old one's and couldn't find what it was looking for.

Comment

Scott, I'm experiencing the same thing using Alpha Five v.3.04 (beta) under XP. I had a system failure, upgraded hardware and OS's (from Win95 to XP). XP is great in that it allows compatibility settings under the properties menu when right-clicking on an application file. But even with this set to Windows 95, I'm experiencing errors. Most disheartening is that very complex forms and reports which I and our firm have used successfully for years are no longer available. I'm getting desperate. Because our versions are different, my guess is upgrading to v.4.5 won't solve the issue either.

Specifically, when I try to use a form, I get "Warning: Cannot load specified form "{form name}". Using a default form instead." And when I attempt to work on the design, I receive this: "internal error: StoreCreate".

* * Hey, AlphaSoftware... any help for us loyal guys?!! * *

Comment

It looks like we both are experiencing the same things.
          I to have been using Alpha 5 for many years, 6 1/2 to be exact. I agree with you David, "Alpha Help". Where is the dedicated service and support that we deserve. We are currently looking at other software that is XP compatable because as a business we must move forward, not wait & wait.

Comment

Why not ask Microsoft for help? Every time the giant in Washington wants to screw up the market, they bring out a so-called upgrade and force all the little guys to tow the line to make their software and hardware drivers compatible at incredible expense.. In my opinion it's just another way of weilding their monopoly power over the little guy. If A5 were my most critical program and it was working well under 95 and 98 (which it is for me) I would not upgrade to XP notrwould I buy a new computer with XP already installed.

Sorry guys, I think this is a problem that belongs to Microsoft, not Alphasoftware.

Comment

I have to disagree. I bought a new computer with XP already installed and could only assume that Alpha 5 would work on it. If you have never experienced XP don't knock it. I think its a great product and if we were to use the mentality that your using we would still be using DOS. XP allows the user to setup older programs as a WIN 95, 98 option. I am not saying that it's not a XP issue I believe it is but if we are going to move forward in an ever changing environment then we have to keep up or businesses will suffocate and die.

Comment

Scott,
                I think we'll have to agree to disagree. But it seems unfair to expect a software company to go back and redevelop 6 year old software to be compatible with a new operating system. Just as many DOS programs can't be used on Windows systems, older Windows programs are not going to be comptatible with the newest Windows versions. Heck, a lot of recently sold hardware isn't compatible with XP.

I'd like to point out that you're using the oldest version of A5 with the latest version of Windows. Why not upgrade to Version 4.5 or the upcoming Version 5. You can do much more with it and you have a better chance of it being compatible with XP. There have been a few threads on the Version 4 message board about compatibility and for the most part it's working.
                Regards,
                Ohlen

Comment

Card stacks are a remnant of Alpha Five version 1, designed for Windows 3.1. The copyright in my version 1 manual is 1994. Alpha continued to support card stacks in their newer versions even as the program was substantially rewritten for newer Windows versions, but they plainly recommended the new capabilities (i.e., forms with buttons to run scripts) be used rather than card stacks.

Apparently something Microsoft has done in XP has 'broken' something that allowed card stacks to work. If only Microsoft had included a Win 3.1 compatibility mode in XP you'd probably still be in business.

I'm not quite sure why you embrace XP and talk about moving forward in an ever changing environment to keep up and yet have chosen to bypass the updates Alpha has offered that allow it to work better with Microsoft's newer operating systems and enhance its own set of features. Alpha has supported its users by releasing those updates. You have chosen not to move forward.

Comment

The first solution I looked at to my problem was to upgrade it. It only makes sense. I looked at the price and read all the details but NO where could I find the answer to my question " Is it compatible with XP". I really hate to spend the money if it isn't even compatible. Would you spend over $100 for something that doesn't work?
                    I was hoping that someone from Alpha Software would have jumped up to the plate and said initially "All you have to do is upgrade" and I would have gladly done it. My boss was looking at other Software options before the problems I have now and even more so now.
                    Do you know of anybody that is currently using XP and a more current version of Alpha 5?

Comment

I don't, but if you visit over at the version 4 forum and ask, I'm sure you'll get some sort of reply. Or just do a search on 'XP' and it will probably turn something up.

I also remember something about a money-back trial period from Alpha, so that if you bought their software and tried it and it didn't work, you could return the software within the specified period of time for a full refund. You'd have to check to see if that's still in effect.

Comment

RE: Upgraded to XP

Let us keep in mind that "moving forward" generally means money... LOTS of it... to keep all licenses honest. The reports and forms I built were originally designed under Alpha Four (DOS) back in the '80's. Alpha Five offered a significant advancement in being able to redesign reports to use a variety of fonts as well as MANY other advancements with real world benefits. We bought into it. I still believe that was a good move.

Subsequent upgrades have come along and we elected to "stay current" by buying them. But with each iteration there were tweaks to forms, reports and other operations necessary for using them... not just for improvements, but to use them at all. I don't have a problem with that. After all, we're talking about (essentially) programming. But the question became "Is the time and money spent implementing this upgrade worth the features and benefits it offers?" Frankly, although there have been bells and whistles in each upgrade offered, we decided the benefits to our specific needs and applications were not sufficient to merit the investment. Our upgrade to XP was because our Win 95 system finally died and the new system came with it already loaded. I hated it at first. But I learned its benefits and slowly warmed up to its value.

XP is a totally new approach to OS compatibility. AFAIK, it is the only OS which offers ASSIGNABLE backwards compatibility... maybe not perfectly, but at least conceptually. XP was not sprung on AlphaSoftware. MicroSoft makes their development specs available to application developers well in advance of release. In fact, a major part of BEING a software developer is assuring OS compliance. I believe Alpha has simply fallen behind in getting this done and that is why we haven't heard from them on this issue directly.

FWIW, after I posted my initial problem, I received a quick reply (that same afternoon) from Alpha's support questioning the accuracy of my statement that I was using A5 version 3.04 beta. I gave them file names and dates to verify it... no word from them since.... just silence.

Sorry for the long post.

Comment

...but to be fair, Alpha does make their software compliant with Microsoft's operating systems. Users on the A5v4 forum report using XP without problems. I expect that A5v5 will be fully XP compliant if/when it arrives.

Alpha does not expend scarce resources to reprogram older versions of their software, originally designed for and compliant with older versions of Windows that Microsoft no longer supports, to ensure that they'll run on every new release Microsoft decides to produce (We'll ignore A4v7 for the moment). That's why Alpha releases new versions. It's simply not reasonable to expect them to do otherwise. Alpha isn't the root cause of the problem.

And Alpha isn't the only software producer whose older wares won't run correctly on XP. Nor are other software producers releasing patches to make older versions work successfully with XP -- they make compliant new releases for which they charge.

Comment

I agree that it would be unreasonable for all past releases to be constantly maintained... that wasn't my contention. My "beef" is that Alpha has not (to my knowledge) posted any warning such as "Prior versions of Alpha Five may not function properly under Windows XP" or "Version 5.0 will provide XP compatibility while enabling current users to maintain existing forms and reports in the upgrade." They've simply remained quiet. The only means of assurance seems to be anecdotal evidence from the forum postings.

Alpha is missing a tremendous opportunity to get positive market buzz going about their new product (assuming it actually IS fully XP compliant). MOST other companies either issue a formal announcement touting soon-to-be-released versions or they assign a marketing rep to forums such as this to help get the word out informally.

Thus far, I'm disappointed by Alpha's silence in this matter.

Comment

If you want to see if an upgrade will fix the problem, go to www.alphasoftware.com and download the trial copy. I think you get 30 days. Copy your data first to a new directory and only use that to test on. The new version may make the data unreadable on the old version, or convert it.

The error you are getting sounds a lot like the error you get when you try to open a form in A5v4.5 that was made in a later version (A5v5).

In any case I think you would be welll advised to spend the money to get A5v5 when it comes out. It will work with xp and you will find it to be a knockout app.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X