Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Design question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design question

I am using A5 as a grade record keeping system for high school classes. I like the reporting features of the database but miss the ease of using a spreadsheet. Right now I have five tables linked in a set. One table holds student demographics for various reports such as attendance and other kinds of check list items. I can set them to print info for students who are not withdrawn or who meet other criteria. The other four tables hold grades from each of the four quarters and the set combines for semester averages and final grades.
    One of the issues that I have to deal with is the fact that some students transfer in at various points during the year. This means that I must post some kind of transfer grade and they may not have a grade for a particular test. This means the averaging process needs to ignore certain field when it figures grades. I solved that problem by having a counter tied to each grade field that indicates a one or zero depending on the whether the field is blank or not. This allows me to view the data in a speadsheet kind of view. It also makes data entry easier. I am also dealing with the changeover from A4 v6 to A5 v3. I would prefer to wait for version 5 rather than upgrade (and pay)twice.
    My other consideration is to develop a table that deals with tests since not every test is given to every class. (I teach several subjects -- Chorus, Music Theory, Keyboard and Humanities. The keyboard class is the most problematic since it is individually paced and I can have the students in ten different places at the same time. I am beginning to wonder if an invoice model might be more practical but am not sure if I can get the speadsheet view that is so comfoprtable for data entry.
    I can't send an attachment at this time because everything I have has live data and confidentiality rules don't permit me to do something like this.
    I anyone is using A5 in this fashion, I'd like some input as to what has worked well.
    Thanks in advance
    Jim

RE: Design question

James,

The spreadsheet view should be no problem using a browse and can be printed using a tabular report. You can download the amortization application from learn alpha.com to see a spreadsheet view in action in a browse and a report.

Regarding your layout, I'd place all grades in the same table and differentiate courses and quarters with fields in the table. It's a straightforward matter to filter the grades by course/quarter/year/student to get the grades you want shown and averaged. At the end of the year, you could copy the completed courses to another table to hold retired records and start over in the active tables for a new year.

If you want to post something, copy the application to another folder. Go into the copy and change the names to nonsense names and post the copy. Then we can't tell who is who.

Your method of dealing with the transfers-in seems to be the way to go.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at the mortgage application and try to adapt what I can. It takes a bit of time to copy dummy information into the application but I know it makes it easier for people to give advice when they see the plan in action.

Comment

Jim, two quick comments...

1) Having separate tables for the four quarters seems unnecessarily complex to an outsider like me. Why couldn't you put the entire year in one table, and then use begin and end dates to filter reports at print time? The same layout could do a month, a quarter, a semester, or the entire year, depending on what begin and end dates are specified by the user...

2) I keep the attendance in our church Sunday School program, and became quickly bored entering true or false into weekly attendance records for all kids in the program. Now, I've designed a form which contains a variable field in which I insert the class date. It has 45 checkboxes, linked to 45 student name variables. It has a button which prompts the user to specify the name of the class. The button's script then scans the students and extracts those in this class, sorts them, and then populates the array of student name variables on the form, next to each of the checkboxes. The user then compares this list with the class roster and checks are inserted for those who attended. Nothing is needed for the ones who're absent. A separate button saves this information as a series of new records in the attendance table. If a student rec'd a checkmark his record for that date is set to true (meaning he or she attended). Otherwise, the student gets a record with the attended field set to false... meaning he or she was absent. In your case if most of your students are present you might want to reverse this, and just check the absentees. The process goes very, very quickly. I'll be glad to show it to you if you think it would help.

-- tom

Comment

I haven't entered the world of attendance yet -- I'd like for a kid to be able to walk in the room and type in their ID number and I don't have to mess with it at all except to print a daily absentee list. I would like to see your program though -- I hope to make the next meeting of the Tampa Bay area users.
          Thanks for the reply

Jim

Comment

Jim, I'm not so sure I'd turn the students loose on my database. Might do better to take the roll yourself, and then either enter yourself, or get help from a trusted assistant.

I look forward to seeing you next week.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
            X