Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

QUERY PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUERY PROBLEM

I have Alpha 5, version 4.03, build 230. single user.
    Here is problem.
    I have a huge database of prospects with name, add, birth date, etc. I run queries regularly to obtain lists of prospects to mail/call on - say, zip code and specfic birth date, with a sort. In the past, on my old computer, it would run fine (but slow). Recently, I purchased a newer computer, (with a cd writer for backup). I tried to copy the old info, to the new computer, (forms, database, updates) . Since I have no cd writer on the old computer, I had to link together to transfer to new computer. Well, everything seems to be fine, except when I run a "query", then use a "report" to view the records chosen. It won't bring up the correct records in the "query", but all the records in the database. When I try to redesign the "report", I get an error code "missing required expression". when I click the only option on the code box "ok", a blank new "report" pops up which is basically telling me to rebuild the report from scratch. What did I do when transferring records to the new computer? And how do I fix it? By the way, when I build a new "report", I still can't get the info - produces the same exact problem.
    Please advise. Thank-you.

RE: QUERY PROBLEM

Randall,

Are all your tables and sets in the same folder?

Is that folder the same as the one which contains your database.ADB file?

-- tom

Comment

Yes, they are all in same folder.

Comment

Randall,

The report layout is stored in the dictionaries for the table or set upon which it is based. Are the other layouts for the same table or set behaving correctly? Can you design new report layouts for other tables and sets?
        Does the sample invoice application run correctly?

These steps would verify the integrity of program files themselves following the installation on the new machine.

-- tom

Comment

Hello, Tom,
          I don't do too many other layouts on this program, however, yes, there are some other issues. One seems to be the query lookup. When I request query and use "month 01..03 and year 1939 and county coos, douglas, curry" as an example, many times I get a full listing of all 345,000 names in the table, not the 300 that it should return. If I rebuild the query, once or twice, it will usually help.
          In checking the sample invoice application (which I have never done before), if I attempt to redesign the report, I get the same error code.
          re: designing new report layouts, I tried one last nite and it allowed me to make it, but it did not allow me to alter it later.
          Somewhere I did get an unusual code that didn't make sense, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was - something about database or tables weren't correct? I'm sorry, I can't duplicate, because I can't remember...maybe "A case"...

ideas?

Comment

Randall,

Four things come to mind:

1) If the app has run reliably for a long time and these trouble only began recently, back track through all recent installations. You may need to reinstall A5V4 if a 3rd party program changed any of its system files.

2) Compact the database. Make a backup of your data tables first, since this will pack them, causing records marked for deletion to be removed.

3) rebuild all indexes in all tables

4) Update to the latest version of A5V4. Significant improvements in handling indexes were incorporated in updates you've not purchased or installed. the problems you're describing may all be index related.

These are the things I'd do in your position. Wish I could say for certain they'll solve it for you, but I can't.

Good luck. --tom

Comment

Hello again, Tom,
              Well, I have done steps 1-3. If I understand you correctly, I think what you mean by rebuild, is to "update index" for each of the tables. All of this I have done. The only thing left is to purchase the latest version upgrade, which I can't see doing. If the version I have is good and served well in the past - and I am not doing anything different, but it is now messed up, why buy more? Does not MS Access can do the same thing and I won't need to buy more? I guess the way I see it, is if I didn't crash or break anything, why do I need to buy an upgrade for something that isn't going to be assured to fix the problem? There ought to be something Alpha can do to resolve the problem.
              Just as an afterthought, I will send you a copy of the table if you like, (but not the names)... Will that help? I can even put a copy on a disk of the folders if that is useful...the only two files that are large are xxxx.cdx (12,000kb) active server document, and xxxx.dbf (61,000kb),
              the other 28 files are only about 140kb total. Ideas?
              Thank-you,
              Randy

Comment

I'm not sure it will do any good to send them to me. I no longer run ver. 4.03. I moved to 4.5 a long time ago, and have found it more reliable. If you think there's something I could do with 4.5 I'll be glad to try.

-- tom

Comment

Randall,

One more question. when you moved the database to the new pc did you install Alpha Five, or did you just copy the files over? (I'm talking about the program files, not the data.) Hopefully you 'installed' Alpha Five, cause simply copying them over won't get it.

-- tom

Comment

I actually installed the A5 program with the original install disk, and copied the folder with the database/tables. I guess I am stuck where I am unless I decide to purchase the upgrade and see if it will help. Thank-you for your help and all your time.
                    Randy

Comment

Randall, I may be out of order here, but from you last reply
                      you said you used the orginal disk to reinstall A5, did you
                      reinstall the update to 230? I think the original disk was
                      build 95,

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,
                        You are not out of order. All help and ideas (yes, the obvious ones that I overlook) are welcome. There are two patches or updates that I have available, and yes, they are installed. 403 and 201? seem like the #s.

Anyway. I think I have narrowed this down some more.
                        step this through for me if you will...

Open A5v4
                        open database desired
                        go over to the reports tab
                        click new report
                        click appropriate data source
                        makes no difference whether blank or quick for this problem
                        click finish. That's the easy part.
                        Now go to tool bar at top of desk, click "report"
                        click "detail properties"
                        click "records"
                        under order/order expression, click "x-y" box

Now finally, my table shows up that I picked. The available fields are showing in a box on the left... but if you click the order box pulldown, instead of the fields that are showing above,
                        I get:"A_launch->name
                        A_launch->type
                        A_launch->content_c
                        A_launch->content_m
                        A_launch->vender

These are the only ones available to me.

On my old computer, that works, the pulldowns are the appropriate fields, but these don't recognize my table or database.

This will happen whether I try to create new or design an old report.
                        Does this help explain my problem??
                        Quick, get the asprin and alka-selzer....
                        Thankyou,
                        Randy

Comment

Randall, Do a search on the forum for A_launch, there
                          are several regarding this and it looks like you probably
                          will need to reinstall a5. I know that when I installed
                          it on my home compter I had a heck of a time getting it
                          to work,and I have had problems with the A_launch items but
                          can't remember what they were. The updates didn;t want to go where they were suppose to. But I believe this is probably what you need to do.

Jerry

Comment

Randy,

If Help / About Alpha Five doesn't show the right build number, that's a good clue something went amiss in the installation on the new pc.

The troubles you're having are an additional clue.

-- tom

Comment

Jerry & Tom,
                              Well, I checked the help/about and I do see the correct version.
                              I am going to copy the A-launch files from the old working computer to the new one (the problem) and see if that helps. (I read that somewhere in the search phorum). Then will restart/reboot. And if that doesn't help, will reinstall, again. Maybe I should give the asprin to the computer (can't find where to pour the water!), not take it myself.
                              I think the problem is I am not a programer at all, just a user, and I have a great frustration with this sort of thing. My son says the problem is usually between the screen and the chair(?).
                              I am ordering A5v5 home also. This may help some. Anyway, thankyou for all your ideas and help.
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X