Alpha Video Training

Thread: Font face

Real Name
    Martin Wolff

Default Font face

The font face "Terminal" is available in Windows, as per the Character Map in my System Tools, but I can't select it in A5 when defining a font face for a report. Any idea why not? I want to use Terminal because I need to use some "graphic" lines, eg chr(197).

Martin.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default RE: Font face

Martin

If you need a line, the report editor has lines available, either as a line or as a frame. Incidentally chr(197) is extended ASCII in DOS. In Windows, the extended character set is different and gives a different value. There are no ASCII graphic line values available in Windows. This has nothing to do with Alpha, it is a Windows convention.

Jerry

Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Incidentally, "terminal" is not available as a font in Microsoft Word either.

Real Name
    Martin Wolff

Yes, I agree with that. I actually need some of those old DOS-type graphics for a report too peculiar to bore you with the details. Not the end of the world, though; I'll work around it somehow. Thanks Jerry.

Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Martin

By playing with lines and frames you should be able to duplicate almost any graphic line need. For a vertical, just use a tall frame with a line only on one side. Since you can overlay objects, you can create some interesting effects. I have a report that was originaly in A4 that used graphic symbols. The user wanted the same report in A5. It took a little imagination, but the result was almost identical. If all else fails, you can always create a bitmap.

Jerry

Real Name
    Paul French

There are true type fonts that offer the old DOS line drawing characters. If you install Lotus SmartSuite, there is a font called Lotus WPBox that contains the characters you want, and older versions of Corel Word Perfect Suite (version 8, in particular) came with a font called WP Box Drawing that contained the same characters. They are not mapped to the same character positions that you reference, but they're there.

There are probably some freeware fonts out there, too, if you poke around a bit.

Real Name
    Paul French

a Google search for gc0651 should return a number of sites with a Microsoft truetype Line Draw font that was released for Windows 3.1 and (I haven't checked it) replicates the Courier font for the regular character set.