Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Oh dear, the saga continues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, the saga continues....

Well the saga of data disappearing when the F9 key is pressed is getting even more convoluted!

Last night I sent a copy of the DB from the office to home. This morning when a staff member tried to do a return transaction (we do rentals BTW) the system accepted the first return but on the second return when they pressed the F9 key the data entered to show the item returned disappeared again! After a db compact it allowed the return but the next one failed yet again.

Now the sticky bit. The staff member rang me at home and I also returned the 3 items in question and all were returned flawlessly!! ARGH!!!! Now this is the exact same database that was copied after closing time last night!

This leads me to believe that the problem is not in the data files but perhaps in the actual Alpha 5 installation. Is there an ini fiel or something that could be checked to try and ensure that both db have been created equal? Both are running the exact same version and build but I'm wondering if there could have been anything that I set on my home version that has not been set in the work instance?

I've A5v4 installed at home for many years so it could have had settings changed numerous times, the one at the shop was installed straight from the CD and then updated only.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here or is it likely that this could be where the error or conflict is? I can't find any other reason for 2 exact copies of the same application behaving differently.

As usual thanks in advance but time is no longer of the essence as I have no hair left at all now :)

RE: Oh dear, the saga continues....

Themis,

I think it's more likely that keystroke sequence used at work was different that what you did at home.... or.... that there are differences between the machines (video and printer drivers).... or ..... that the work machine was low on resources because user was multi-tasking other large apps.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom, as much as I'd like to think you're right I fear this is not the case. Certainly not where the keystrokes are concerned. The involve clicking a button which brings up the record, then tabbing to the next field which is a force closest match on a simple list and pressing the letter "I" for in and then hitting F9. Not exactly rocket science but it does the job.

Both machines run dual Pentium III 900's with 1 gig ram on Win2000 so being low on resources is out especially seeing as the only app running was A5, and how printer drivers or video drivers could cause the input from the drop down field to vanish when the F9 key is pressed is out of my scope of expertise (as are most things actually :) )

The copy I took home was exactly the same as the one at the shop. I copied everything from the dir, zipped it up to just over 1mb so there can be no files or settings that were not identical.

This is what led me to believe that it may actually have been the actual A5V4 installation. But for the life of me I can find no file that shows configuration settings, ini or otherwise. The settings that can be checked are identical.

We have 2 forms, one that finds by ClientID when items go out, and one that finds by stockno when they are returned.

Both only require minimal keystrokes to perform either function. I'm at a loss. :(

Comment

One more thought.

Does your button script disable itself, preventing inadvertant double pushes ? This is highly recommended in a data entry environment. The OnPush script should disable the button object at the top of the script, and the enable the button object when it's finished its work. Have you verified that the user cannot double press the button and run it twice in row ? -- tom

Comment

I was having a similar problem of disappearing data. I wrote the software for our office. It has fields in which the employees will enter data into an existing record, when the save button is pushed the data either disappears or reverts to earlier data that was in the field. Now in my application, there are field rules in the form for specific fields that I use. In the on-change rule I have noticed that if there is an error, logic or otherwise, the form seems to detect the error and cancels the change, almost like hitting the cancel button. This can be frustrating, to say the least. We have about 40 machines, most are Win2000. the problem seems to occur mostly on those with Win95, which brings me to something else. Win2000 no longer has the resource memory problem, it utilizes flat memory, something that Win95 and Win98 didn't have. But other than that, have you found anything that was causing the disappearing data problem and do you know if A5 people are aware of it? I have a bunch of employees that are pulling the remaining few hairs out of their heads, which makes the women look like Shanade what's-her-face. BTW, we are using v4.5 build 266.

Thanks for any help yo may offer,

Warren

Comment

Sin�ad O'Connor ??

Comment

If you tab out of the field that receives the "I" and then press F9, is it more reliable. My thought is that you are typing into a field that is a lookup field and somehow the entry doesn't complete before hitting the F9 key. You might try setting the field rule that tabs out of the field as soon as entry is made.

Now a personal statement that you can ignore. I would not want the users of my app to use any of the built in keys. They're fine for your use, but not for the user. Instead I'd have a button on the form that they tab to and then press. That way you are in control of their actions. It's more work but more certain.

Comment

That's the one, just couldn't remeber the spelling.

Comment

dID YOU EVER SORT THIS OUT ??

Comment

Did you ever sort this problem out please
                    I have the same problems

Thanks for any help you can provide

Comment

Working...
                    X