Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Set Order Problem on Query Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set Order Problem on Query Form

I produced a custom query form. It works fine until I select 'Set Order Criteria.' Instead of one grey box for each field, boxes appear only on some of the fields and scattered in places where there aren't any form fields. I attempt to click boxes to set the order and nothing happens.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

RE: Set Order Problem on Query Form

Please post a copy of the database here so we can see it. Will make troubleshooting much more efficient.

--tom

Comment

Thanks for the offer, Tom.

I'm new at this. I looked at the file attachment guidelines and I don't see how I can condense my database down to 1 MB. I have a tabbed form based on a set. The 'project_set.sem file alone is over 3 MB. The whole database with only 5 records and elimination of all memo and OLE linked objects is still 3.6 MB.

Charles :)

Comment

Oops! I forgot to zip the files before checking to see if it was under 1 MB. I was amazed that 3.63 MB of files compressed into a little over half a MB!

The 'Set Order Criteria' happens on the 'Query' tab page. You'll see a whole bunch of grey boxes that have no association with any fields on the page.

I have another puzzle with this database but I'll post that on a separate message.

Thanks for offering to look into this problem.

Charles :)

Comment

Could not open your forms. They seem to be based upon a set which includes the Payments table. However, the Payments table is missing from the zip file you posted.

Here's a tip. Before uploading (attaching) a sample database here, copy it to a new folder on your machine. Try to run it from the new location. If you can't run it there, we won't be able to when we download it from the forum.

It occurs to me that maybe the complexity of your form is causing the problem. I suggest you review Dr. Wayne's article "Simplify your applications" at www.learn alpha.com, especially if you're designing something that's intended to run on a local network.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom!

I just unzipped my projects.zip file in a separate folder and was able to run it without a problem. Maybe it got corrupted during the upload/download. I also forgot to indicate that 'Proposals' is the lead form for the application. I'll be inserting a entry menu form later.

As to the complexity of the database I have no standard of judgment as I've only been working with Alpha for a month and this is my first application. I used to do programming in dBase 4 Dos. This is my first experience with object oriented application development. I'll definitely read the article you mentioned. So anyway I appreciate your patience helping me learn the ropes here.

Let me know if you think the zip file was corrupted and I'll upload it again.

Thanks Tom! :)

Comment

Charles,

I too tried to open the offending form, and could not becasue two tables reside on your "e" drive. They are the payments table and the menu_dyummy table. Tom Cone often warns against placing dbf files outside of the application folder, and rightly so.

Please re-organize your database so the files are all in one folder. We can then help you better.

Regards,

Jay Talbott
              Jay Talbott
              Lexington, KY

Comment

Thanks Jay!

I didn't even realize the payments.dbf file was in a different directory until I looked at the 'Details' view. Mow I have a different problem. I copied the payments.dbf file into the same directory as everything else and erased the original one. Now the browse object that used it doesn't work. Is there an easy way to make the browse object look for payments.dbf in the new location? And then there's the button script that referred to the payments file at thte other location. How do I handle that? It will be a job figuring out how many other references I have to the payment.dbf file.

Oh, bother! Charles :)

Comment

Charles,

By designing a database with tables scattered between two or more folders, you've inadvertantly required Alpha Five to 'hardcode' pathnames to the tables outside of the database folder. I suggest you look back at the E: drive to see if the table's dictionary files are there. If so, copy them to the database folder.

Then reopen the database.
                  Then drop the Payments table
                  Then add the Payments table back

I don't know if the Set is screwed or not. It probably is. So you may have to delete and recreate it. Do this first: Copy the set's dictionary files to safety, then restore them after the set has been recreated.

If you don't know what files are dictionary files, get your User's Guide out and check the Appendix.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom!

I finally got things straight. (I hope) I had to delete the payments table from the set and then add it back. I'll certainly be more careful to save everything in the same folder. It's a big hassle to change the dictionary references once they've been set. I'm so sorry you and others took the time to download the database only to have it not open properly.

Anyway the database is attached as Europave.zip. Enter the application through the 'Proposals' form. I'm having a problem with the Query tab page. When I enter the query mode and select 'Set order' or 'Order Criteria' a bunch of grey boxes appear which have no correlation with the control boxes on the form.

Thanks, Charles :)

Comment

Charles, I think maybe the tabbed object on your form is causing the problem. The 'Set Order' tool on your toolbar is not working correctly in your form.

To see how it should work, opent the default form for the same set that your Proposals form is based upon. Activate Query By Form, then select the 'set order' icon. You'll see the little grey selection boxes. Click them in the order that you would want the query list sorted. A second grey box appears with each to permit selection between ascending and descending sorts if you desire.

Alpha Five is trying to do the same thing with your form, and is failing. Unless someone can suggest a fix, I recommend you remove the 'set order' tool from your toolbar, and implement it in the form itself, if you want your user to be able to change the sort order of the result set returned by the query.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks again, Tom. I WILL remove the 'Set Order' button if I can't fix the problem.

I have another question regarding this database. I'm reluctant to put it in a separate question and have to upload the database still another time. Is it alright to send people to another thread to find the databse file I'm referring to?

On the Invoice tab you'll notice a Calculate button. It's to refresh the Balance after the user enters a new payment. But when I press the button (after adding a new payment) I have to click the form somewhere else before the Balance field shows the update. Any suggestions on how to get the refresh with a simple press of the button? Ideally the Invoice screen would update upon pressing the 'Save Record' button on the 'Add Payment' form.

Comment

Charles,

I think the logical place to adjust the balance on a project is when the new payment transaction is recorded to the payments table. Once the balance figure is adjusted and saved, you just need to refresh the object displaying the balance on your form.

Your problem is similar to a classic invoicing application where the running balance is being kept in the invoice_header table, and payment transactions are recorded in a linked child table.

Incidentally, the script you're using to open the AddPayments form in dialog mode is flawed. It fails to close the called form. Check the Xbasic reference manaual at about pg 262 or 263 for further information. When the user closes the Addpayments form, it's just hidden. This is an indiosyncracy of the dialog mode you're using.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                          X