Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Date Variable Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Date Variable Search

I searched this message board for answers to this that I can use but came up blank. Not that I did not find anything but something I can understand for I am new at A5. I need something that will let me run a search for a date with beginning and ending dates. I read and copied off several scripts but where to put them is a complete mystery to me. Tried every posted zip for an answer but nothing works for what I need. I have one that works in an Application that works that someone sent me but getting that into my own, I just cannot follow the procedure they used. I need something simple, tried a query that works to a browse but will not work when I print to a report for it gets all the data in the table. Tried calucated but got errors on that too. I am at a total loss at what to do to get the results. I know it must be simple but I am MISSING it somewhere. If it possible for someone to post a Working SIMPLE Example as exactly what to it would me MUCH Appreciated.

Ken

RE: Date Variable Search

I missed that also. In the older version of Alpha4v6 and 7 it was easy to creat a form that poped up and allowed the user to enter a begining date and an ending date which then was placed in variables such as(Begining Date: and Ending Date:) and then you copuld run a report that would filter for those dates entered by the end user. It seems that Alpha should have created a Geni for mthat one because it is the heart of database reporting. It should be a standard function. I've always thought that Alpha's documentation was very weak in that area.

Comment

Ken and Fred:

It's so easy, you'll probably kick yourself! I remember experiencing the very same feeling a few years ago. I remember the feeling so strongly, I thought I'd take a shot at explaining how it's done.

There are two examples in the attached example.

To preview example1, click on the reports tab on the control panel, then double click on the Example1 report.

Example1 sets the variables within the report session (They exist for the life of report). The variables are created in report design mode. Select the 'Report' heading on the menu bar at the top. Then select 'the 'Detail properties' choice from the drop down. Click on the 'Records' tab. Variables are made by DRAGGING the from the 'Var' column to the EXPRESSION box.

To illustrate Example2, go to the 'Code' tab on the control panel, and double click on the Example2 script to run it.

Example2 uses the Autoexec script to create two global variables. They, being global, are available anywhere within A5 for the life of the current database session. We the use the script EXAMPLE2 to capture the character version of the date. In the filter section of the Example2 report, we use a similar expression to example1, but need to convert the character version of the date to a date format by using CTOD(), which is 'character to date'.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Craig

Comment

...ooops...

I forgot that this board eats certain characters...

Variables are made by DRAGGING the from the 'Var' column to the EXPRESSION box.

should read:

Variables are made by DRAGGING the "ask user" from the 'Var' column to the EXPRESSION box.

Hopefully, this will reflect properly!

Craig

Comment

Ken & Fred,

To supplement what Craig has posted here's an example that shows you 4 different ways to call a report that is filtered by a range of dates.

Have fun tearing it apart to see how it's done.

The attachment is a self-extracting zip file. Save it to a separate folder, do permit it to extract files into your development folder.

-- tom

Comment

Ken & Fred,

To supplement what Craig has posted here's an example that shows you 4 different ways to call a report that is filtered by a range of dates.

Have fun tearing it apart to see how it's done.

The attachment is a self-extracting zip file. Save it to a separate folder, do permit it to extract files into your development folder.

-- tom

Comment

'do permit'

should be

'do NOT permit'

-- sorry 'bout that.

-- tom

Comment

For those that don't want to download the zip, the four methods are:

1) embedding a filter in the report, using global variables that are populated in the form;

2) running a QBF with the form, and then calling an unfiltered version of the report;

3) running a table query, using variables input through the form, completely by means of an xbasic script, and then calling the unfiltered version of the report;

4) embedding the filter expression in the report preview command, using variables populated on the form.

-- tom

Comment

THANKS!!!! Fellows for the tremendious responce. Like Fred said it was SO EASY in A4. It was in the training manual explained very well. The manuals are so vague for me. I will definately take a GOOD Through look but not tonight. I have them downloaded. Will take look tomorrow afternoon after church.

You are all great.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                  X