Alpha Video Training

Thread: Databases, Sets, and Tables

Rob Schippers

Default Databases, Sets, and Tables

I'm just getting used to version 4.5 from version 1, and have a few questions about the .adb format.

I have attached some sets I had to a new database file. The whole system had 2 sets, and about 8 tables.

The sets and their forms show up, and are mostly useable, but not any of the forms that were designed for any of the individual tables. They appear when needed, but are not there to be edited, if you know what I mean.

Is it correct practice to link all of the tables which form part of the sets, as well as the sets themselves?

If I make changes to the code to make it work in v4.5 is this stored in the .adb or in the original set,sem,sex and ddm,ddd, ddx files?

Other than for the fact that .mdx's are replaced with .cdx's, would the new system still use all of the original files?

If I want to relocate my files to a different folder, does the adb use relative or absolute file and path names? If it loses the links, can they be simply re-linked and retain all of their related forms and scripts?

Appreciate the help received so far on this forum - thank you!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Databases, Sets, and Tables

Rob,

>> I have attached some sets I had to a new database file. The whole system had 2 sets, and about 8 tables. The sets and their forms show up, and are mostly useable, but not any of the forms that were designed for any of the individual tables. They appear when needed, but are not there to be edited, if you know what I mean. >Is it correct practice to link all of the tables which form part of the sets, as well as the sets themselves? >If I make changes to the code to make it work in v4.5 is this stored in the .adb or in the original set,sem,sex and ddm,ddd, ddx files? >Other than for the fact that .mdx's are replaced with .cdx's, would the new system still use all of the original files? > If I want to relocate my files to a different folder, does the adb use relative or absolute file and path names? If it loses the links, can they be simply re-linked and retain all of their related forms and scripts?

Rob Schippers

Default RE: Databases, Sets, and Tables

Thank you for the detailed response. Sorry about the multiple questions - I'll try to re-state my question only where I did not make myself clear

Tom Cone Jr wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Rob,

>>Is it correct practice to link all of the tables which form part of the sets, as well as the sets themselves? >Other than for the fact that .mdx's are replaced with .cdx's, would the new system still use all of the original files?