Alpha Video Training

Thread: Import

Real Name
    David Corcoran

Default Import

I am trying to import a file exported from a dos database the format is comma delimited or DBaseIII. The table is based on the mailing list template people info and I have added in fields to match the dos file. When I imprt I get an internal error. I then imported the file into excel which imported correctly with all the data in the correct format, I then tried to import the excel file but when I am naming the fields it behave correct until field23 then the data overlaps the field seperators this happens with the excel and the comma delimited.

Importing the data is vital to the application I am designing so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I attach the table and files

Kind regards
    David

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Import

David, I took a look.

1. the file, People.dbf, cannot be recognized by Alpha Five. I could not 'add' it to a database, nor could I define an append operation which used it as the transaction table. This surprised me because most dBaseIII+ files are pretty compatible with Foxpro2.6

2. I found no saved import operation in the materials you uploaded, so I can't trouble shoot the import operation you mention. I did find a saved 'Append' operation, which won't work. Is this what you were referring to? If so, you need to dust off the user's guide and check the differences between saved Append operations and saved Import operations. They're huge.

3. I was able to import the comma delimited file to a new result table without difficulty. All the resulting fields are either char type or numeric type. Some of the char type fields will require further processing before you could append the records to the People_Info table, because the field types won't match.

As a matter of course I never use blank spaces in the name of a table. I recommend you use a different name for the "People Info" table.

I'll look further if you can provide more details on the particular problem you're having.

-- tom

Real Name
    David Corcoran

Thank you Tom for your help, I never tought of using append from the table created by the import so my problem is solved.

Kind regards
    David

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

David,

it might help to think of Append operations as a special case of the more general 'Import' operations.

An 'Import' moves data from an external file into your table.

An 'Append' does the same thing, but only if the external file is an Alpha Five table.

ok?

-- tom