Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

migrating files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

migrating files

I started work on a desktop, copied the files to a CD and continued to develop during the holidays on my laptop. Tried to re-install the files on the desktop and... nothing works.
    I suspect i did something wrong when i decided to change the shared and private paths on the Laptop during development.
    I've tried most of the tips founds on the message board to na avail.
    How can I locate ALL the necessary files on my Laptop, and how come that even after erasing ALL files on the desktop I still get the OLD development only after re-installing both A5V4.5 and the data files ?
    On the Laptop everything still works fine.

Please reply to: [email protected]

Thanks for any help,

Harold

RE: migrating files

Harold,

Use windows explorer to verify that the files you copied from the CD are not marked 'read only'. This happens without warning when you copy files to a CD, and copying them back to a hard disk does not remove the 'read only' restriction automatically.

-- tom

Comment

Harold,

You may have to physically go to the directory where you copied your files on your desktop and see if some of the are "READ ONLY".

CD-R disks set files attributes to read-only by default when they are written to. Of course, when you copy them back to your hard disk the files have their attributes set to read-only.

Alpha needs some of these to be read/write capable, hence the problem.

Regards,
      --Bob

Comment

Hmmm..Should have checked to see if Tom was up yet... :)

--Bob

Comment

Thanks to both of you but yes I did that, doesn't solve the problem.
          Even after cleaning up completely ( program and data ) and re-installing all directories on the desktop, when I copy the CD files, remove the read-only and start A5V4.5 again I still get only my oldest development back. but on the Laptop it's ok.
          Therefore I suspect the changing of shared and private paths during development on the Laptop must have misplaced the last developped forms and tables ?

Comment

This sounds a little like the boo boo I pulled. First off, if you zip
            them before you copy to CD-R or RW, then they don't get the read only
            attribute assigned to them. Secondly, you must move or copy them to
            the exact same path as they are in the first PC.
            efs

Comment

Harold, are the files in your database scattered across more than one folder?

Give us step by step, click by click, keystroke by keystroke the sequence you're using to do the copy, and the sequence you use to open the database.

-- tom

Comment

Ok,

On the desktop I had c:\Program files\A5V4 as shared path
                and c:\Ph-h as private path

On the Laptop ( new machine ) I had both paths as c:\Program files\A5V4

but after a couple of days I changed the private path to c:\Ph-h on the Laptop, too.

On the laptop I burned the full content of the private path on a CR-RW
                On the desktop I copied those files into the C:\Ph-h folder.

Fire up A5V4, select the database from the choice list presented on the opening screen.

In the Table window I see some files are listed but as -shadows-, greyed out and not usable.
                In the forms window only the older development forms are listed, all the new ones from the laptop do not appear.

Tried again, but this time selected the database directly from its folder c:\Ph-h. same result.

So I erased EVERYTHING, started from scratch again on desktop, even cleaned up the registry from any A5V4 traces.

Re-installed everything, again copied the files and... changed the attributes. Same result.

Harold

Comment

Open A5 on the laptop,
                  Open the database,
                  Go to the control panel and select the tables and sets tab;
                  Right click in open space, select view;
                  Pick details.

Examine each entry. Are they all in the same folder?

I think not, because some are greyed out after you copy the folder to another machine.

-- tom

Comment

You're right !

Table details show some tables are listedas being "not available"
                    they are listed as located in a different folder ( actually the one from where I imported the original foxpro data files )

On the other hand the forms listed only show the old development ones. None of those developped on the Laptop appear on the desktop.

So I'm one step further thanks to you !

Harold

Comment

Harold,

It may help if you do not confuse the Alpha Five program directory with your database directory. The Alpha Five program files are NOT your database. Your database is the collection of tables, forms, indexes etc. that you BUILD with Alpha Five. The database files (all of them) for a single database should be located in a single folder. If you put some pieces in one folder and other pieces in a different folder you cannot move the database to another machine unless the drive and folder arrangements there match EXACTLY. Most would not want to arrange things that way, hence the recommended approach: Put ALL components of a single database in a single folder.

-- tom

Comment

I'm aware of that but, I thought Alpha would keep its tables and related forms etc... together AFTER I imported the old Foxpro data from its own folder. Apparently not. alpha keeps refering to the folder of the old foxpro data files evn though they've been imported in the c:\Ph-h folder which is where i intended to do as you prescribe !

To be very precise: I started a new database in C:\Ph-h and imported tables from my old Foxpro folder. Anyway it's very clear that a BACKUP procedure built into Alpha was very much necessary !

So if I want to CHANGE the location of any table in my project ( database ) can this be done ( gather the scattered tables into Ph-h ) ?

Thanks again,

Harold

Comment

Harold,

Alpha Five does not have an import function. Did you copy the foxpro tables into the database folder, or did you 'Add' the tables to the database, leaving the DBF files in their original location? I suspect it's the latter, and that may be why you're having trouble. When you 'Add' a table to a database, Alpha Five does not create a new copy of it in the database folder. 'Add' is not 'Import'. When you 'Add' a table to the database you are simply instructing Alpha Five to create a link to the specified table. If the table is in an external table you have to specify the path to it explicitly, and thereafter Alpha Five will expect to always be found there. If this is not what you did, please furnish details on how you managed to do an 'import'.

-- tom

Comment

Harold,

Having already hit 'send' I went to Alpha Five to confirm the absence of an import function. Wrong. Alpha Five does have one, but it's not designed for DBF files (it's intended for Ascii, Excel, or 1-2-3 files) and requires you to specify a local DBF as the recepient for the import. The local DBF would stored / created first in the database folder. None of this would apply to Foxpro files.

-- tom

Comment

Obviously that's right and that's where Alpha actually failed as compared to Access, which does create it's own copy of the data file.
                              Anyway, it's solved and thanks for the competent help !

By the way do you know if the jittery screen effect is cured in version five ?

Harold

Comment

Working...
                              X