Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison

Does anyone have any familiarity with Visual FoxPro as compared to Alpha Five and pricing comparisons.

RE: Comparison

I have no great comparison charts but I will make this statement. VFoxPro is pretty good....but V5 blows it away!

Comment

Mark, I just went to the MS Web page (I didn't realize that Microsoft had eaten up FoxPro)
      the Full package version 7 is $549.
      Upgrade from Ver 5.0 or 6.0 to 7.0 is $297
      -Barry

Comment

Barry:

The approx. $550 price for a single full license for VFP INCLUDES a royalty free runtime engine, something that people in the RT thread might want to take notice of.

I don't think you can compare A5V5 and VFP directly. Certainly A5 is far easier to get up and running. It sits nicely in certain environments and pretty much beats the socks off Access and Filemaker.

Having said that, the notion that any version of V5 in the foreseeable future will have the sort of overall power, depth and extensibility that VFP already has is, frankly, ludicrous. VFP is positioned as an RDBMS for the enterprise and is not positioned by Microsoft as a competitor to Access.

If comparisons of A5V5 must be made, I think that they must be made to Access and Filemaker. To my mind, the most important element of comparison is not features so much as it is the resources behind the competing products. Access is owned by Microsoft. Competitively - enough said. Filemaker is owned by Apple. They need it to have a viable cross-platform database to keep the Mac desktop part of the real world.

By any measurement yardstick both companies dwarf Alpha and can afford to manipulate pricing to their own advantage. Alpha can only stay in this race with a superior product AND competitive pricing.

Finian
        Finian

Comment

Competitive prices that is the key.
          Have you seen the prices for V.5??
          It's crazy !!!
          I know Alpha Five is a very good product but with those prices I can buy VFP and a bunch of books on programming and in about two months anyone can start programming. Unlike Alpha Five that there are no books whatsoever( oops! I forgot those outdated books from Dr. Wayne).
          Now, don't get me wrong guys, I love Alpha Five I just don't agree with their prices!!!
          The Mexican

Comment

I gotta say something here. I build applications and it takes lots of time and effort. I feel like Alpha is a much more personalized company for their customers and really put at effort in giving us what we want. They have this fabulous board here that has helped me out tremendously. The Alpha ownere are dedicated to us as we are to them. If there is a bug they do everything they can to fix it as soon as possible. They put out the product we want and not what we are stuck with. I don't like paying anymore than I have to either but I do believe the prices are fair and reasonable. I do believe their marketing could improve but I can say that about myself too. Also, marketing costs money and if they can't get a fair price for the great work they do then maybe you wouldn't have the "Alpha" option. Hopefully they will do a better job marketing. The product is first class!
            One more thing! I am not related! Just appreciative!

Comment

Mario,

You're mixing apples and oranges. True, the manuals for v4.5 were not very good. Have you down loaded a beta of v5? If so, have you checked out the Action Scripting manual? If ya can't follow that, you're in the wrong business, period!!!

I suspect the other manuals that come with v5 will be of the same calibur. Selwyn really 'caught it' from many about the manuals. I doubt he really wants to go throuh that again. There's even "rumor" of an interactive CD. Alpha has worked hard to improve the manuals.

So, have you seen the current prices of v5? They're not crazy or unfair. Some will complain but I doubt there is a datbase out there with the power, ease of use and flexibility of A5. I know cause I've done some checking. There is one that may be close and it's runtime is only $799. However, their message board is full of whiners and little to no help for thsoe "how do I do it" things.

If that's the quality you want, send me an email and I'll give you the url.

As far as VFP is concerned, perhaps A5 is not for you if you can can become a sufficient programer in 2 months. Starting to program is one thing, heck, I did it with VB6 in less than an hour. But it's a very time consuming program just to get the little things done. VFP is a bit better but not that much.

I just don't agree with their prices!!! No one's forcing you to buy it.

kenn
              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

The Xdialog manual is terrific.
                Bill
                Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I saw you mention about whiners. I've been watching this board and have seen others and for some reason there sure is a bunch of whiners. I just laugh. I guess they think they should get software for nothing or practically nothing. I got an idea. These whiners should go buy one of these shareware programs and quit there. Of course they won't have the dynamics of a program like this. I'm in business. If I can't make a living then I better quit. These guys went quite a while with not much income and look what they come up with. Alpha 5 is great. Again I must say, this board is a great tool. Where else do you get this kind of communication with the owners. I don't think you will find that with Mr. Gates. I'm not a Gates basher either. Anyway, enjoy the product and dig a little deeper. I used to be a Q&A guy but Syamantec didn't know we existed. Well, I'm done..lol....good luck with whatever software you decide to buy!

Comment

Just wanted to add a few comments to this thread.

As some have mentioned, we have paid a lot of attention to the documentation that will come with v5, (there is also a brand new Peter Wayne book for v5) and based on the feedback we have received thus far, people will notice the difference!

Secondly, we are also seriously investigating offering high quality 24 x 7 interactive chat tech support/application building assistance as soon as possible after v 5 ships.

Thirdly we also are planning on offering web based training for v5 as soon as possible after release as well.

Thanks

Sincerely
                    Richard Rabins
                    Alpha Software
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

Frankly, VFP is not relevant to the pricing of A5.

Even if VFP were free, it would not make any impact on how we make our pricing decisions for A5.

The reason is that, notwithstanding the fact that VFP is probably a superb product , we believe that in the hands of our typical customers, who are not trained programmers, VFP is pretty much close to useless. I don't think anyone would deny that a casual user who picks up VFP will get very little out of it. The VFP learning curve is steep.

Is say the VFP is probably a superb product becuase I don't really know -- I lost the ability to understand it when they went from DOS to Windows. It is just too complicated for me.

Comment

I think it would be very interesting if you did report back to us all after two months on how much progress you have made with VFP.

Comment

I, for one don't understand how Alpha exists, financially speaking, altogether! With the number of copies out there, and the past pricing levels, I could never figure out how they can put out such a quality product.

It's interesting that all along the v5 journey, and the eventual release of v4.5, we all put in our two cents worth. We suggested this and that, and Alpha responded. Where in the world do you have a product like that? Real time suggestions and responses. Imagine!! We were all involved in the development!

I hope my Alpha brothers realize that it is in our interest that Alpha generate the revenues that will allow it to continue!

The only problem is that Alpha spoiled us with ridiculous prices in the past.

Comment

Let's say you earn only $1000/month. Two months downtime learning the new product (really it will be much longer than that), is substantially more than the cost of the upgrade.
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Lest I be misunderstood - "learning the new prduct" meaning Visual FoxPro.
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X