Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha5v4.5 or Wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Alpha5v4.5 or Wait?

This comment refers to A4 or A5 for a 2 person business.

Back years ago, in 92, when I joined a friend to work in a lab parts business I realized we needed a database program. I was trying to use Lotus Agenda but although it provided some help it was not the right product.

After reading reviews I selected Alpha 4, V2.1. It was a wise choice although between the first pruchase and V6.2 I had to raise my voice due to the bugs which Selwyn had a hard time agreeing were present but nevertheless by magic eventually got fixed.

For some years since getting A4 v6.2 I have been happy with performance but worried as Microsoft has been killing DOS. The A4 reports leave a little to be desired but I have lived with this.

When Five came out I was aprehensive with the bug reports and the difficulties and passed initialy. I got V3 but was concerned that lookups took more key strokes than A4, so I quite trying to learn.

When A5V4 came out I got the 3 user copy as it would seem that my concerns about being inferior to A4 had been overcome. I was dissappointed as some trivial look ups were more complicated than in A4. As I use lookups all day long in A4 how could I justify to my colleague a move to A5 which was more complicated and time consuming.

I don't have any "apps" in A4, I just use Chose Open View or Browse, or Find whatever, or change Index. A new Purchase order takes a few seconds to enter, as does a new Invoice. I have taught my colleague and a high school temp which SETS to open and training takes just a few minutes. I prepare all the company reports and write scripts for my own use, although a few help data entry for my colleages. Field Rules are the reason I have faith in my data.

Having attended recent the March Boston meeting I was highly appreciated of the new V5 and I have spent many hours using my A4 data and the A5 beta version to prepare to move to A5V5. I have been impressed with features of V5 and am nearly getting around to handle the programming.

However, with 4 computers at work operating under W3.1, W95 and W98, it seems I would have to spend over $1200 so that I could have some more bells and whistles and assurance that I could operate in an environment higher than W98. Also I wonder if the w3.1 computer will have to be put out to pasture. Currently the old W3.1 is the work horse of my colleague who puts out more quotations than many others could shake a stick at in an early DOS world processing program.

I will seriously have to consider whether to abandon A5 or just use it as a toy for my personal use. $1200 is TOO MUCH in our situation.

Steve Pick
    Trycom Inc.

Comment

Steve,

If you are not happy with the reporting capabilities of Alpha 4, you may wish to check out Crystal Reports, I believe you could still get the 16-bit version, it will run with any version of Alpha, both Windows and DOS with no problems.

We have been replacing all our old Alpha 4 programs with our SQL base versions. Our main programs still runs on Alpha 4, but we have a ton of Crystal Reports that supports it.

Crystal has brought new life to our DOS base applications.

Sincerely,
      RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

Wow Peter!

I've never heard of WinDev before in my life. I went to their web site and read about all thier features, not that I will be switching any time soon.

One of the first things I noticed was if you look at some of the screen shots, the toolbars have horizontal double lines. This is a Borland trademark. Microsoft toolbars have a single horizontal line.

Borland had an issue in Delphi and C++ using the Microsoft component, because it kept changing all the time so they developed their own.

WinDev was definitely developed in either Borland Delphi or Borland C++.

I would be a little hesitant about buying a product outside the U.S. Support may not be that easy to get.

Sincerely,
        RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

Peter,

Those should be vertical lines, not horizontal.

RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

I have read all the comments about the futue V5. I have used seversal versions of Alpha back thru the years. It now appears that the future of Alpha Software is at a stratigic point in the release of version 5. If their pricing is too high which is indicated by most of the persons responding, then Alpha will loose a lot of their present database customers. It appears that this is very serious and may be brewing. We have had about a 2 year lag in major upgrades.I assume Alpha 5v5 is a very good program but if Alpha Software prices V5 as planned, I can not afford it. I too am a small business that has need for special purpose desigining in my business. Alpha need to increase distribution thru more agressive recognization of the product, not slice it up in pieces and require high prices. I too have been waiting for Version 5 and still wonder it it will ever be shipped? At the projected prices I see very few new useres being added to Alpha Family. This Alpha Fourm has some very knowledgeable database users that love to help other users. Sad to say but I seen hints that several of these could be moving to other datase programs. This will be bad for current users and extremely bad for Alpha Software.

Doyle Irby

Comment

I have read all the comments about the futue V5. I have used seversal versions of Alpha back thru the years. It now appears that the future of Alpha Software is at a stratigic point in the release of version 5. If their pricing is too high which is indicated by most of the persons responding, then Alpha will loose a lot of their present database customers. It appears that this is very serious and may be brewing. We have had about a 2 year lag in major upgrades.I assume Alpha 5v5 is a very good program but if Alpha Software prices V5 as planned, I can not afford it. I too am a small business that has need for special purpose desigining in my business. Alpha need to increase distribution thru more agressive recognization of the product, not slice it up in pieces and require high prices. I too have been waiting for Version 5 and still wonder it it will ever be shipped? At the projected prices I see very few new useres being added to Alpha Family. This Alpha Fourm has some very knowledgeable database users that love to help other users. Sad to say but I seen hints that several of these could be moving to other datase programs. This will be bad for current users and extremely bad for Alpha Software.

Doyle Irby

Comment

Doyle Irby

Comment

Doyle,

While I agree that the pricing needs to be readjusted, I believe it's a bit presumptious to state that several who help others are hinting of moving to other databases. I did not get that hint nor do I know of any seasoned A5'ers who are, myself included. My order for V5 still stands!

kenn
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

I believe it's a bit presumptious...

Believe it.

I happen to hang out on the PowerBASIC Forum on a daily basis and have seen several well-known 'Alpha Forum' names starting to visit more frequently in the last month. I hadn't given it much thought until you mentioned it. Those in the 'know' must have gotten wind about the price increases and are starting to excercise their options.

There's even a free multi-user database program that works with PowerBASIC called Tsunami at: www.trm-ug.com

Reasons why?
                    PowerBASIC $189 - create small Windows EXE's (NO run-times)
                    Tsunami Database program - FREE

Hmmm....

--Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X