Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

new Alpha 5 user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new Alpha 5 user

Hi -- I'm evaluating Alpha 5. My only database experience has been Symantic's flat file data base manager Q&A which I used happily for years because it was very easy for a non-pro like me to set up the simple functions I need.

I know these are very, very beginning questions but I was hoping some of you would be able to give me a push in the right direction.

I've been able to convert my data to a master table, no problem. And I've been able to define my fields to some extent. But I'm having trouble with a few things that I did easily in Q&A. Specifially I want to (I'm using Q&A jargon, here, and I don't know where to look in A5 for the same types of functions):

1. I want to develop a "Custom Help" screen for one of my fields which will remind the user what each code means before they enter it.

2. I want one of my fields to be searchable by "keyword."

3. I restricted a field to a date field but I actually I only want the month and the day -- how do I do that.

4. How do I restrict the state field to only accept 2 capitalized letters.

I'd appreciate any help. I've been reading the message board archive and it has really been useful in getting me started. Thanks for any help provided.

RE: new Alpha 5 user

You may mean the beta version of Alpha 5 V5 or you may mean Alpha 5 v4.5 and the answers could differ. For V4.5

1. I want to develop a "Custom Help" screen for one of my fields which will remind the user what each code means before they enter it.
    You could either have a custom screen form appear, driven from the canenter event of the field in question, or you could define a lookup

You need to define an index on the field and set the index to be active, then searches are keyword based on the field.

Look at the options for transformation while editing the structure of your table, uppercase transformation is one of the choices
    3. I restricted a field to a date field but I actually I only want the month and the day -- how do I do that.
    The month and the day is not a date. If you want only that, define the field as character. If you want only the month and day displayed, check the field formatting options or define a calculated field for display

There can be only one.

Comment

Well let me put my 2 cents in. I was for some time a Q&A Consultant. That good old flat file database! I must tell you that you have selected the correct software. It is so much more powerfull than Q&A and I cant tell you how much. I believe you are talking about the @msgbox command. Alpha 5v5 will have a rollover type effect with each field. That version will be rolling out any day now. You being an ex Q&A user will appreciate the new version even more. Basically you can design a database with virtually no code if you want. The only problem I have had is learning the power of a relational database. I have learned to auditrail info when needed pretty much as Q&A did. Good luck! Also, this board and the people on here are fabulous.

Comment

Just to give you another view point... (Besides, I'm lazy - building on someone else's ideas is easier than starting my own.)

Another option is to set the Field Description in the field rules. On the first tab of the field rules, called Field Types, you are given the chance to define the "default descriptive name" which will be the default label text or column text that Alpha will use for forms or browses AND you can set the "Field Description" which will appear at the left end of the status bar whenever the cursor is in that field. Of course, the status bar must be active for the user to see it. To check the "status of the status bar" click the "View" option on the menu to see if Status Bar is checked.

This isn't the same as pop up help but, once the user is aware of it, it can be pretty handy.

The index mentioned by Stan is the easiest way to get to the first occurrence of the keyword IF "keyword" refers to the text in the field or at least the first part of the text in that field.

There are a number of other options as well. This is fortunate for those who need the other options and unfortunate for those trying to learn all the intricacies of A5. The other main options are building a query, using Query by Form, and using Find by Form.

If you could give us a better idea of exactly what a keyword search did in your other database, we could give you a better idea of which A5 option is most similar. Or, perhaps better yet, if you study those A5 options in the documentation you may find that one of them is more appropriate and you will certainly understand how to apply them better for future situations.

Sorry, can't provide much help beyond Stan's comments here. The issue with a character field is that there is no automatic checking to make sure a valid "date" has been entered. This could be done with an Xbasic routine but that may not be something you want to jump into right now. (I haven't had a lot of need for a date entry like this myself but it seems like a feature that would be nice.)

You don't have to restrict the data entry to capitalized letters. In the field rules you can go to the Transformations tab and set the transformation rule to "Upper" and any text entered will be converted to upper case as soon as the user leaves the field. This is a lot easier on the user than forcing them to type using upper case to start with. You might also want to create a lookup table of States vs. Abbreviations for those who can't remember if AL is for Alaska or Alabama. (Hint: Alaska is AK.)

I assume you know that the 2 letter limit is defined by the structure of that particular field.

And, by the way, welcome to the community!

Comment

Thank you for all the help I received from former Q&Aers on this board. My db is up and running! The kind assistance I got was what convinced me that the software was for me and I purchased my license last night. This board is fabulous!

Comment

Leslie,

Come back often. It won't be long before you'll be helping others! (That's one of the secrets of this forum. Having received a helping hand, folks here are quick to offer similar assistance to others.)

Comment

Leslie:

Plagerizm is my forte'
              Let me explain....

As a new guy myself and often embarassed to ask a dumb question, I've regularly been visiting this board and stealing snippets of code and technique. I have all of this in a single Word.Doc searchable with the resident 'find' utility. It has been a great getting all of this help from these experienced, intuitive, and knowlegable guys.

Welcome to the community.

Ken

Comment

Hey Ken,

Based upon some of the back-n-forth that I've seen in the A4 message boards, I thought I'd never see you in here. What gives?

Instead of using a word doc, make an A5 table to contain the code snippets & technique you're plagerizing from here.

Mike
                Thank you,
                Mike Konoff

Comment

Working...
                X