Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

db structure help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

db structure help

I am at my wits end and sending out a SOS. Anyone interested in helping to point me in the right direction give me a shout please.
    Thanks in advance

RE: db structure help

Bill:

That's just about everyone here. Feel free to post your questions. Someone, if not many, will happily supply information.

Craig

Comment

Bill:

We are willing to help. What is the problem.

bob adler

Comment

...it's the waiting I can't stand...

Comment

Bill,

Are you talking about how to set up a database table, how to divide the individual columns into normalized sets, or how to work your business process into an activity that a databsse could do? Perhaps your distraction by these sub tasks is why you can't get pointed in any one direction.

Dave

Comment

Thanks to all for their replys
            Sorry for the criptic message, frustration and late hours are contributing factors.
            I'll try to layout as much of it as I can....
            A little background first
            This system tracks paint usage in a manufacturing environment to fulfill EPA tracking and reporting requirements.
            Each product used has a tracking requirement of daily, monthly, annual.
            Each product has basically two items that are tracked (VOC volitale organic compounds) and (HAP hazardous air pollutants (could be from 0 to many compounds. Feds & state determine which haps are tracked)) Each are tracked for daily,monthly and annual totals.

Daily usage is enter and calculations performed (where the problem lies)

Structure
            1) Transaction Tables
            Usage Header
            Id number
            Date
            Usage Detail (linked to header via id number)
            Id number
            Product Id number
            Quantity

2) Reference Tables
            Product Reference (a lookup in usage detail)
            Product Id Number
            Name
            Other data such as specific gravity, mfg etc.
            Product Hap Reference (defines the haps in our products)
            Product Id Number
            CAS Number
            Percentage
            HAP Reference Data (List of HAPS from state / feds)
            CAS number
            HAP Name
            Other data

Example: Product ID: 1DX008 Name: Off-White
            Contains these haps
            Name CAS Percent
            Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 .05
            Xylene 1330-20-7 .09
            Toluene 108-88-3 .01

I can enter and pull all the data / calculations I need except for one consistant snag.....
            The monthly totals (via a report) are used in another report and i cannot figure out a way to save these totals for further use. All calculations are multilayer calculations and grouped by month / by product.

I probably didn't lay it out very well but would appreciate any insights or help
            Thinks Bill

Comment

Bill,

To quote the (im)famous Barry R., extract, sort and report.

In other words, use a script to write your records to another table. If necessary, use a variable to keep track of specific information in your script, and write that variable to your table. Then base your report on that table.
              Also include in the target table the relevant date (perhaps the last date of every month). Then you can later use that data for other reports.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jay Talbott
              Jay Talbott
              Lexington, KY

Comment

thanks
                Thought of that, but the multible HAPS associated with each product has me stumped.
                I was trying to write a child table for each product used that would contain the assiciated haps. A child hap transaction table created for each product used.

Comment

Instead of child records for each HAPS, write one record for each HAPS of each product to create a flat file. In your example, I would write out three records, with the fields of product num., prod desc, HAPS name, CAS and Percent. Then your report would group on product num, and the monthly totals could be used in another report.

Regards,

Jay Talbott
                  Jay Talbott
                  Lexington, KY

Comment

Bill,

If you create a new child table to hold all the individual VOC and HAP quantities for your product definitions, the total list of pollutants will be there. This would be a new table with a one to many link from Products. For your needed report build a set that makes the HAP/VOC table the parent, link the Transaction and other tables to it and print them out in order by query and filtered for your date range. Report done.

The above conversion would be a fairly typical data normalization procedure. I would also suggest adding start dates and ending dates to the HAP/VOC table so you could change your product formulations and have the historical totals remain accurate. Adding an end date to a HAP record would remove it from the product formulation. If the state or Feds add new HAPs, that's and easy change, just add them to the product listings they are in and they automatically appear on the reports.

You could also run a Summarize operation to create a summary table with all the pollutant releases totaled for the month from this.

Does this sound like what you need?

Dave

Comment

5 Aug 2002

David,

What is a "Summarize operation to create a summary ta...."?

Is this feature available in a5v5?

I tried to lookeit up in the manual and I did not see anything.

I am looking for a5 to do the same as a pivot table in spreadsheet. (Maybe I off limits.)

Thanks a miilion,
                      JG

Comment

John,

Summary operation, pg 192 of the user guide pdf.

Bill
                        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Working...
                        X