Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Disappearing Scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing Scripts

Hello Alpha Five fans,
    I'm having a minor problem here, got my application working pretty good, as a stand alone, on my local drive. Now I have ported it to the network, and am trying to Network Optimize, but when I do, my global xbasic scripts go away,
    I mean they literally disappear.

Anyone know the answer to this? In the meantime, I'll be scouring this site for Network Optimization, and the Shadow, and the .muf, etc;.

An advance thank you to any and all repliers.

RE: Disappearing Scripts

Barry,

It's my understanding the global scripts, custom menus, and custom toolbars are all stored in the dictionary files for the database itself. (These are the files that have your database name, and end in extensions like ALB, ALM, etc.) Presumably you copied these files to the network server when you installed the database there, right? If so, they should have been replicated in the shadow folder on the workstation when you network optimized that station.

Here's the drill:

1) Develop database entirely within one folder. Store all tables, indexes, memo files, dictionaries, etc. in that same folder.

2) Copy the entire collection of files from your development folder to a separate folder on your network server.

3) install the runtime engine on a workstation that has been given read/write privileges for the database folder on the server.

4) start the runtime engine locally.

5) open the database on the server.

6) Select File / network Optimize from the Control Panel menu, and accept all defaults when asked to specify a save to folder on the local workstation.

You will wind up with the shadow copy of the database being created in its own folder in the shadow folder beneath the runtime engine on the workstation. All global scripts should be present and accessible.

Thereafter to run the database the user cranks up the runtime engine and loads the shadow copy of the database on the local machine.

If you followed this sequence and the global scripts are not present, you may need to revisit the development machine to verify that they reside where you think they reside. Are you, for example, using a library to store scipts in a different folder than your database?

Hope this helps unscramble things.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
      Thanks for your reply.

My database was intact, all files in one place, scripts working fine etc, until I did the network optimize.

I won't be using a run-time engine, though as we have licenses for eight users with the development engine.

As I understand this process (optimization), the application will be stored locally (increasing speed of
      processing), while data files will be accessed from the network. What I don't understand is the shadow directory concept. I have yet to see one created.

Here is how I have been network optimizing, (which works
      great except for the missing scripts):
      1. create a local directory for the network optimized version of the application.
      2. open the network version of the application with a locally installed Alpha 5 (NON-RUN-TIME or THE DEVELOPMENT ENGINE).
      3. run network optimize

Thanks again,
      Barry

Comment

Barry,

It's not necessary to create the folder for the optimized copy of your database. The network optimize routines will do this for you.

The full version of Alpha Five will behave like the runtime and should not make any difference when optimizing.

May I suggest this? Try walking through my sequence, one step at a time. At the end of the optimization routine the original copy of the database will be closed, and alpha Five will automatically open the shadow copy. Should be virtually transparent and seamless.

Let me know how it goes.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

-- tom

Comment

Thank you Tom,
          I'll keep mine crossed as well, will give it a go tomorrow,
          and will let you know how it works.
          Again thanks, I appreciate your assistance.

Comment

Barry,

Did the scripts themselves disappear or did just the Code tab disappear? If it's just the Code tab, right click on any other tab and you will get a drop-down list where you can check the "Code" tab so it will show again.

This tab will disappear every time you use the runtime.

Cal

Comment

Another possibility is that you wrote scripts while logged on using the shadow. In that case the scripts were added to the local shadow copy of the data dictionaries. In that case a refresh would wipe them out as they would not exist in the source (server version) of the refresh.

Bill
              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

1. Once or twice a year or two ago, all my scripts "dissapeared". I did a compact on the alb/alm/alx files and they magically "reappeared".

2. To echo Mr. Bill, are you sure the scripts are on the source data set?

Peter
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Bill,

That's a good point. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you've loaded the shadow copy of the database, or the actual database. If you're working with the full (development) version of Alpha Five it's virtually impossible to tell the difference just by looking at the screen.

I will often display the path to the current database in the caption of my form just so I can see 'where I am' !

-- tom

Comment

Hello Cal,
                    Yes I'm positive that it is the code that disappears from
                    the original (non-shadow) version of the application. Plus,
                    the code is not included in the "optimized" version of the application.

I'm adding the code back now, from backup.

Then I plan to try Tom's suggestion.
                    Thanks

Comment

Bill it is possible, but not here, as I created the scripts originally (for the second time) just this week as I uncorrupted a corrupted version of the application where
                      the .alm file was nearly 2 gb in size, and is now just
                      12kb. App works good as a stand alone on my local drive,
                      works good (although very slow) on the network, until ....
                      I "network optimize", that is it works great (faster) and
                      everything, except ... no global scripts, that are used
                      for onkey events, thereby making the app useless unless
                      one wants to use the mouse exclusively.

So to sum it up, I re-wrote the scripts locally, ported to
                      network, then network optimized, and at that point the scripts were blown away, wiped out, gone, vanished into thin air, became vapor-ware, and very literally disappeared.

But I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong in the optimization process, going to try Tom's suggestion.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Thanks Peter, and I'm absolutely sure scripts were once on the source set. Adding them back now. I believe I tried
                        the compact operation, but I'll try it again.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Thank you Tom,
                          It worked.

Thanks to all repliers, where would an old duffer like myself be without you, very dead in the water, belly up.

This is a great forum, and maybe Alpha 5 isn't so bad afterall, maybe the problem is an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Looking very forward to the upcoming version 5!

Again many many thanks to one and all.

Comment

Working...
                          X