Alpha Video Training

Thread: Many tables into one

MIKE LYON

Default Many tables into one

Hi guys,

I am trying to set up a structure that allows an unspecified amount of tables to merge into a single table/set.

I.E.

I have a dbf to run a quote system on which I am adding a stock element to which is looked up from an imported catalogue table.
    The idea is to be able to add another catalogue at any time.
    As the catalogues each are fairly large my idea was to make each catalogue a seperate table and each seperated on a seperate tab on the input page.

This is fine until I come to joining them up.
    Each quote may contain some items from catalogue 1 and some from cat 2 etc but when it comes to the reports etc they need to be shown as one quote (fields will be similar).

Any ideas how I would structure this or join them bearing in mind that I may need to add a catalogue at any time.

Many thanks for your help.

Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: Many tables into one

Mike,

Can you do it this way? Use one table for all catalogs and have a field called, 'catalog' where you would list the various catalogs.

Or, You could have a parent table for the catalogs and catalog company info and a child table for catalog item linked to each catalog by catalog ID.

Reverse the set for creating reports, etc.

kenn

MIKE LYON

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

A single table setup would be great to work with keeps things simple and easy to sort but the only thing I am wary of with this approach is that the catalogues are large one is 100,000 items alone. So when they select an item via a lookup in a browse it takes a while to search each time. So with numerous catalogues added on the user would soon get fed up with waiting in a real time enviroment.

The browse has two lookups (one or the other can be used)
    1. enter code direct to pick up product
    2. enter part of description to show all products with same.

the second is done via a field rule lookup with a filter script to take out any products not same as user entered.

Is this the quickest way to search if so then it is way to slow with one catalogue in let alone more than one?

It goes through the whole table twice before returning a list.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Mike,

There are several who are more versed in this than I. Have you looked at Lightening Query Optimization? The following is what the A5 Help as to say.

Lightning Query Optimization is a feature that Alpha Five automatically activates to increase the speed at which queries are run. By using information contained in the indexes you have created, Alpha Five can dramatically speed up queries.

To take advantage of this time-saving feature, both the query you design and the pre-existing indexes must be compatible with Lightning Query Optimization.

I haven't personally used it but many have met with good success. It would be worth your while to look into this. There is a chapter in the manual about it.

For a search to go through the table twice before returning an answer is not good. How can you tell that it is searching the table twce?

kenn

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

You might want to download Bill's zip file to view what he's doing with LQO. It may give you some ideas. Bill's pretty sharp on this subject.

FWIW, you don't have to click the "email their reply to me" box more than once.

kenn

MIKE LYON

Ken,

When the lookup runs it shows % searching in blue at bottom of form and number of records - this goes to 100% twice.

It may be that the filter I have put into the lookup is at fault.

containsi(Code+Description+Range,"*"+trim(var->lookup)+"*") .AND. PRICE0.00

With the displaying order as - RANGE+CODE+DESCRIPTION

This allows the user to enter anything they want and will pick up all records containing this in the range, code and description.

I will take a look at Bills LQO and let you know if it helps

Thanks again.

Mike