Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

re:Web Application Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had posted the following into the wrong forum, so I include it here in the correct forum. I also wanted to add another comment concerning this product.
    Alpha 5 can certainly stand on its own merits, but I also look at the competition when judging a product. For example, Filemaker is one product and has the ability to run its programs/interfaces in web browsers. This ability is "integrated" in that one product.
    The point I am getting at is it might be perceived as a negative factor if Alpha 5 users have to purchase another product for this functionality instead of having it available in Alpha 5 itself.

ORIGINAL POSTING:
    I think it's exciting that Alpha Five applications will soon be accessible via Web browsers. Is this going to be a separate product from A5 or is it going to be integrated with A5? Put another way, will this be a part of a future A5 upgrade or will it be an entirely separate product from A5?

Adrian,

I'm curious. What is the cost the full developer version of Filemaker? And then the next question is, how will Filemaker and the A5 web edition compare?

It would be nice if it was incorportaed with v5 but I think the Alpha crew wants to get v5 released before the web version is available.

I would not be surpirsed if there won't be a discount on the web version for v5 users and perhaps at some point release it all as one package. On the other hand, File maker has many versions and there are many Alpha users who don't need or desire web access so a "lighter n the pocket book version" is needed.

Bottom line in comparing is not only total cost, but features and ease of use.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

The Alpha Five Application Server is roughly equivalent to a runtime in that it allows the developer to build an application and give access to multiple users without letting those users change the application. And it takes things even further by removing the requirement to purchase and install the runtime on each client. This opens new doors for the developer because now the clients accessing your applications don't even need to run any version of Windows - Mac, Linux and Unix users can use your applications just as easily.

It will also be similar to the runtime in that you do not need to purchase it until you are ready to distribute your application. Once the Application Server is released, you will be able to download an upgrade for Alpha Five V5 which will give you a limited version of the Application Server. It will not be limited in functionality, only in the number of clients that can access your server. This will allow you to fully test your applications through a web browser and know that they work before you distribute them and without having to purchase the full Application Server.

Also note that this is how FileMaker licenses their products. FileMaker Pro allows limited client access to your database through a web browser. If you'd like to have many clients access your data, you need to purchase FileMaker Server or FileMaker Unlimited - separate products.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

We are in the process of bringing another plant online with the main
        plant and it seems that the web sever would be the way to do it. We
        are using Alpha 5 4.5 for all of our production operations and in
        fact every aspect of our business except for accounting.

Do you have a time frame for release yet?

We are looking at perhaps August for the other plant. If the web
        portion will be available soon, it may be best for us to wait on it
        instead of direct connect or citrix.

Thank you

Rodney

Comment

While we do not have a specific time frame for the Application Server release yet, it will closely follow the release of Alpha Five Version 5 and should be close to your August plant opening. I don't want to tell you definitively to wait because we do not yet have an exact release date and because I do not know the full scope of your application(s). However the Application Server really has an advantage over a direct connection environment because Alpha Five itself is not a client-server application while the Application Server is.

This means that instead of the server transferring the whole database to the client and letting the client operate on it as would be done with a direct connection, the Application Server does the processing locally and then sends only the result to the client. Unless your data is quite small and you have a very fast connection between the plants, you would really see a significant performance improvement with the Application Server.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati

Comment

With regard to the web-server version of A5, why should somebody that doesn't use or need that feature have to pay for it if it's included in the regular A5 program?

I'd rather the Web-Server be seperate so I'm not buying something I don't need. If it's available seperately, that is more flexible than being included in the A5 program, I think.

Mike
            Thank you,
            Mike Konoff

Comment

Mike,

I think Lenny answered your question:

"It will also be similar to the runtime in that you do not need to purchase it until you are ready to distribute your application."

I intrepret this to mean that if you are not needing a web server, you don't have to buy it.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

This is correct Ken.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Is it going to be possible to have mixed access to the data?
                  By this I mean, can the application be ran in a lan enviornment at the parent location and the remote locations connect using the web server.

Thank you

Rodney

Comment

Ken,

I understood the Web Server would be separate from A5. I was giving Adrian my reason for liking it that way, separate, and not included in the product as she indicated Filemaker was.

But thanks anyway.

Mike
                    Thank you,
                    Mike Konoff

Comment

Lenny:

Do you have an indication what the cost of the upgrade from Alpha 4.5 to 5 will be?

Regards,
                      Chet Sapino
                      Regards,
                      Chet Sapino
                      President,
                      SAPINO Enterprises
                      6451 Pheasant Rd
                      East Syracuse, NY 13057

Comment

Chet,

If he did, he would be out of line to even hint at it. We won't know until the vail is pulled off. Que sera, sera. What will be, will be.

kenn

Comment

Mike,

I now understand what you meant. Interesting how people can see the same thing and look at it 2 different ways. Is the glass half empty or half full? Thanks for the explanation.

kenn

Comment

In Richards Radio interview (on the front page of Alpha website) he indicated that the V5 price would be around $300, but of course until the price is set in stone this could change.
                            Alan Sawyer

Comment

Yes.

As far as the Alpha Five database engine is concerened, the Application Server is like another Alpha Five client. So you would just set up your server to give both the Aplpication Server and the full Alpha Five clients access to your database files.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Working...
                              X