Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why wont A5 do import export?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why wont A5 do import export?

It simply does NOT work no matter what format... period.

RE: Why wont A5 do import export?

Jeff,

Why not post a working model here, showing us what you're attempting? Maybe we can offer some specific suggestions.

-- tom

Comment

I don't know, maybe your fight is with the A5 genies, but it can't possibly be with A5 itself.

I don't do that much importing, but when I've needed to I've always been able to do it. I follow one rule which is to import first to a temp table then append to the final table.

As for exporting, we do lots of that. We use the tbl.export() method for straightforward exports not involving memo fields (which truncate after 255 characters in a regular export) or create the export file in its entirety via xbasic where we need to export memo field data. The script for the latter is not that difficult.

In both import and export I'd say that A5 is very flexible.

Finian
      Finian

Comment

Sorry,... I should have been more specific.. am frustrated to the point of giving filemaker a try..lol

All I want to do is export a table to a csv file... then import it back into an existing table. Should be an absolute no-brainer just using the defaults. But A5 fails miserably. It cant use its own exported file...
        The problem seems to be if you have a one-character field with a name thats more than one-character.. then yer screwed.

I dont know... at this point all my hard work is down the crapper if I cant get the blasted thing to perform. I need to make changes to my customers table structure so I need an export/import to save the data. Or mebbe someone has a better plan... I hope.

Comment

jeff:

I do many exports and imports with alpha. no problems.

You state you want to export to csv and then import to another DBf. Why not append to the other dbf. no export or import needed.

I hope this helps.

bob adler

Comment

Here is the table... I just want to export it... add a few fields to the table... then import the data back into the table... should be really easy.

Comment

I dont know... at this point all my hard work is down the crapper if I cant get the blasted thing to perform. I need to make changes to my customers table structure so I need an export/import to save the data. Or mebbe someone has a better plan... I hope.

-----------------------------------------

...Or, just create the new table and append to it.

Comment

Jeff,

I spent 30 minutes trying to do what you describe and could not succeed. the export goes fine. However, Alpha Five vers. 4.5 gave me fits trying to import the same data back into the table after its structure was changed (I added several new fields).

If it were me, I'd figure my head will stop hurting if I stop pounding it against the wall.

Why not 'copy' your data to a temp table, modify the structure of the original table, and if you need to, append the records back ? You may find that the temp table is only needed as a safety backup. The modification of the table structure may not necessitate zapping and refilling the table at all.

-- tom

Comment

what do you mean "fails miserably".
                  i just donwloaded the sample file you just posted here and in about 3 mouse clicks i exported it to an ascii file.

obviously you must be trying to do something more complex, but are not phrasing the question here in a way that the other members can post a helpful response.

can you be more specific about exactly what you want?

Comment

Jeff,

I think the most probable problem is that the blank.dbf file is corrupt. It crashed A5 & Paradox both so I used quickview plus to look at it and saw a bunch of binary or upper-ascii chars. After a lot of screwing around I got the table open in Paradox & identified the structure. I then re-created it (blanktest.dbf) and it works fine in Alpha. I also copied your sample record into it along with 2 others, then I did this:
                    - exported it to 'blank-test.asc' (saved the genie operation)
                    - copied the table to 'blanktest_bkup.dbf'
                    - empied the blanktest.dbf table
                    - added 5 new fields (eg, additional_field_1, etc.) of 5 diff types)
                    - moved the new fields into different places in the seq. of the fields
                    - saved the changes
                    - ran the genie again for a saved import operation
                    - it returned an error msg (I failed to pay attention to selecting the correct field types when I was mapping and this was the problem as it guessed that your 'storage' and 'invoicing' fields were logical rather than chars types)
                    - opened the import op in design mode and corrected the field mappings/types
                    - it works well

So, if your blank.dbf file wasn't corrupt then maybe you hadn't mapped the field types correctly although the error msg, tho not precise, makes it pretty clear that's what the problem was.

Take a look at the attachment.

Bill

Comment

Sorry.. I should have said the IMPORT fails miserably....

I can export happily all day long... just cant import it . I did get one table to work, but when I applied the same procedure to the next table is when I hit the wall.

In A4 you could "map" the data, field for field and it worked wonderfully... in A5 it looks like thats what you are doing.. but it screws it up when the field has a name thats longer than the fields size... or at least thats what it looks like to me.

Or its just very possible I am making the same mistake each and every time I try an import.

Comment

Will recreate the blank.dbf... hopefully this will fix it.

I have been through the importing function so many times.. checking every little thing... it looks fine.. till I run it.. a corrupt file makes as much sense as anything else.. going to try it today...

Comment

Well... thnx for your suggestions... the import was a bomb... but the append works wonderfully...

Thanks again!

Comment

Jeff,

Well I looked at the bomb I sent you again & it still worked here. But then I got to nosing around in the saved operations and noticed that the paths are hard coded in the saved import operation. So then I moved them to a folder off of the root of my C drive (C:BlankTest) and tried to run the import and it does BOMB!! I did edit the paths in the import operation but it would NOT run - no noticable attempt, no error msg re: violated.dbf, but a little twitch when I dbl-clicked it. Boom!

I redid the demo in there with the following changes:
                            - blank1.dbf is the duplicate of your table structure w/ 3 records
                            - blank2.dbf is the re-structured table w/ 5 additional fields of 5 types
                            (it's empty - no records)
                            - Recreated the export and import operations as so...
                            - Blank1_Export is the saved operation that will export the records in blank1.dbf to a file named 'Blank1_Exported_Records.asc'
                            - Blank2_Import is the saved operation that will import the records from the 'Blank1_Exported_Records.asc' file back into blank2.dbf.

Try putting the demo files in the attached zip into the very same directory that I used (C:BlankTest) and let me know what happens. At my end it's working well - I ran the import op. followed by zapping the blank2.dbf 5 times with no failures.

Comment

That ones a winner!

THNX!

Comment

Working...
                              X