Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Printer Names Win98 & Win2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer Names Win98 & Win2000

All workstations in my office are Win98 and I have hundreds of reports set to print directly to certain trays of certain printers to avoid user error (Imortant). I have now purchased a number of new workstations which are Win2000. Low and behold none of the letters/reports will print from the new machines. I believe the naming is the problem I.E. :-

in win98 HP Laserjet on mrlntHPLaserjet
    in win2000 mrlntHP Laserjet on Ne00

Is something going wrong somewhere, is this a windows issue, has anyone hit this problem and has a workaround.
    TIA
    Terry

RE: Printer Names Win98 & Win2000

Terry
    The only way to fix this is to goto the win 2000 work stations and change the printer in each of the reports. This assumes that you are using network optimization you modify the local copy of each of the reports. If most reports or labels are printed to one of the network printers than you could make that printer the default printer on all of the workstations and set the reports or labels to print to the default printer this will mean that you won't have to modify those settings. You will only have to change the other ones. Alpha 5V5 will have a method to change the printer with xbasic without user input just before printing the layout.

Also check this thread:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=4&id=50358&thread=50358

Comment

Terry,

I doubt that it's a naming error unless you're not using the default Win printer. If you do specify the printers in Alpha's property tabs, you should just get the list of those printers currently installed when you're doing the selection. If you haven't gone in and changed these properties since you've replaced the systems then you may well have a naming problem.

Printer names are changeable (they're just aliases) but if you're printing to shared printers and you've somehow "hard-coded" path'sprinter names you'll also have to deal with computer names. Win2000 machines can be assigned a name for netbios compatibility but the likelihood is that they have new ones that are different than your old W98 boxes. So, for instance, if your A5 app has a report that is coded to print to an old W98 box with a shared printer like this: FrontdeskHP-LJ5; and the new W2K box is setup with a path, name & share like this: Front DeskHP Laserjet 5 then you need to make some changes as these are different names. If the printer is local then I think the only issue is to change the printer name.

Naming conventions must be an EXACT match, so if this is the problem, the fix is to right click on My Computer at the Win desktop > left-clk on Properties > System Properties will open > click the Network ID tab > click the Properties button and edit the Computer name field to match the old system (assuming it's been taken off the n/w). Also go to Start > Settings > Printers and change the printer name there.

Comment

Sorry, the slashes got dropped by the Phorum software. Let's see if quotes will keep them: the names and paths should have been:

old w98 box -- "frontdeskHP-LJ5"
        new w2k box -- "Front DeskHP Laserjet 5"

Comment

The Printers are Network Shared & the settings to which printer are fixed for each report/letters directly to the particular printer/tray using a win98 machine. Having looked at the win 2000 machines they name them differently as in my earlier post. In fact the name of the printer is identical but the way the two operating system handle the server/port naming appears to be the difference.
          Do you understand my problem I think it is missed in the previous replies.
          Thanks
          Terry

Comment

My fist post missed the backslashes I will reiterate with dashes:-

in win98 HP Laserjet on --mrlnt-HPLaserjet
            in win2000 --mrlnt-HP Laserjet on Ne00

on both machines the printer is aliased as "HP Laserjet" that is identical.

Terry

Comment

Terry,

I think Microsoft changed the way shared resources like your network printers are 'named'. Since your old printer names are embedded in the properties of your reports the new names on your Win2000 boxes are causing the problem. All of this you probably already knew.

I see two possible solutions:

1) As Allen already suggested, modify the reports on each Win2000 box to refer to the new printer names. This means developing two versions of your application. One for Win98 boxes, and one for Win2000 boxes.

or

2) Set each report to use current windows default printer, and pop up a print preview each time to give the user the option to redirect the report to another printer.

Hopefully, Alpha Five version 5 will give you a better choice.

-- tom

Comment

Terry,

I've thought of another solution.

On each workstation you could store a simple text file identifying the type of system that's in use on that particular station.

Your startup scripts could read that file each time the app is loaded, and store the system name in a global variable.

Then, you could create duplicate copies of each report, giving each a different name and specifying the new printer names req'd by Win2000. Your scripts which run the reports could then be modified like this:

Code:
                if systemname = "Win98" then
                   :report.print("report1")
                elseif systemname = "Win2000" then
                   :report.print("RevisedReport1")
                else
                   ui_msg_box("Oops","The system name is not available.")
                end
                An advantage of this approach is that you would have only a single app to maintain.

-- tom

Comment

I'd thought of a two copy option but with hundreds of letters/reports and certainly over 1000 print scipts I suspect it would be cheaper to upgrade to win 2000 on all workstations or stay on win98 which is a lot cheaper.
                  Thanks for all your help but it looks like Microsoft have done me on this one.
                  If anyone from Alpha reads this will I be able to workround in V5.
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X