Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Lost Indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Indexes

I know this problem has visited this forum many times, but I think I am following all of the 'dos' and don'ts' correctly, yet I'm still losing my indexes on a daily basis.
    I've created 5 indexes for a table. None of the indexes are filtered, none are over 9 characters long. The indexes are used as follows:

I have several different forms based on the same table. The same 5 fields appear on all of the forms. I'm using a great tip from Bill Warner "To use a button for the field label...".
    Bill's script for a button is as follows:

dim global jobno as c
    parentform.index_set("job")
    jobno = ui_get_text("JOB NUMBER", "Enter Job Number", jobno)
    If jobno = ""
    END
    END IF
    parentform.find(jobno)

When my customer used the new forms with buttons defined as above, on the first day they got the "Your indexes may have become corrupted..." message and all the indexes I had created disappeared. So I modified the script by using
    "dim jobno as c" rather than "dim global jobno as c"
    and I use a differrent variable (but same index) for the same field on different forms.
    For example to find by FileName on one form I use:

dim mfilename as c
    parentform.index_set("FileName")
    etc.

and on another form I would use:

dim vfilename as c
    parentform.index_set("FileName")
    etc.

I modified the script because I did not want the message box to display previous values and I hoped it would also fix the disappearing index problem.
    No such luck. Still losing the indexes.
    Note: not all of the indexes disappear. There are actually 6 indexes...the first one "inv_no" I think,was created by A5, and the next "filename", "address", "city", "hometel", and "worktel" are the indexes I created. Only the 5 I created disappear.

Thanks
    Jim Smith

RE: Lost Indexes

Jim,

What version are you using? A5v4.5?

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Jim,

The five you created - did you create them in the table define indexes area?

How did you name them? The name may conflict with Alpha's need to create indexes. I begin all indexes I create with a z prefex.

When you use the line of script:

parentform.index_set("job")

it assumes you have an index called "Job"

Tom

Comment

I'm using V4.5 and the index names are the same as the field names...filename, address, city, hometel, worktel.

thanks
        Jim Smith

Comment

Yes, I created indexes in the "Define Indexes" area then rebuilt all indexes. The index names are the same as the field names...filename, address, city, hometel, worktel. Indexes were used as follows, for example:

parentform.index_set("filename")

Thanks
          Jim Smith

Comment

Jim,

Could you post a working model here for us to examine?

-- tom

Comment

Jim,

I think that's what Tom P is talking about. Alpha may be getting confused. Rename the indexes beginning with the letter z and see if that solves the problem. If not, can you post a zip file as our sun burned friend TC requests?

kenn
              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Jim,

Tom has good advice. Post a working copy and someone should be able to come up with some ideas. Normally, indexes disappear for specific reasons. If the index expression can't be evaluated, the index is dropped. If alpha tries to open two indexes at once, one index may be dropped. This could happen if you specify a filter or order in form properties and also specify an index on the OnInit event. You could also run into a problem if you specify a query that matches an existing index definition. There should be no need to do this, and I have never tested this one, but it is one other instance that could cause an conflict.

One situation where the index name can be a problem is if a reserved or restricted name is used. An example would be naming an index "date". If you refer to this in a script, alpha could confuse the index name with the function date(). Another name that have given a problem is "select". Adding a prefix will eliminate this issue. The default name to an index is the field name it is based on, so this should not cause problems.

Another interesting issue occurs if the index is generated by Alpha. Examples include indexes for set definitions, form filters, lookups, etc. In a couple cases, I have renamed these indexes only to find that Alpha renames them back to the original name. Now I just leave them with whatever cryptic name is generated by the program. If you have another index that you create, be sure the name is different.

Jerry

Comment

I could post an example, but without the clients data, I�m not sure how useful it would be. I�ve tried to recreate this problem at home and was unsuccessful, so I spent yesterday at the clients site, watching the operators enter data. There were two different conditions that triggered the problem. One was when an operator opened a form in enter mode then immediately clicked the �find� button to locate a record, so I fixed the find buttons so they do not show up in enter mode. However, I think the 2nd condition is the key problem causer. An operator using one particular machine (which incidentally, has an �old� version of Win95) would only input data a couple of times a day and when he did it was to find a series of 5-30 records one at a time and change one or two field values and then save the changes. He could change a few records then the corrupted index error would begin to show up on just about every record after that. So I rebuilt the indexes, had this operator switched to a different machine, and the problem did not show up for the rest of the day. These people are not big on new hardware and I believe this computer could be 8-10 years old. I remember that the first versions of Win95 had a lot of bugs. Is it possible that this or perhaps a random cpu or memory error could be the source of the index problems?
                  Thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.
                  Jim Smith

Comment

Jim,

Back when I was using Alpha Four I remember learning about a patch to Windows 95 that was necessary to overcome a problem Win95 was having with locking and unlocking files on local area networks. Don't remember the details, but maybe you can find references to it in the Knowledge Base at Microsoft. Perhaps the offending station needs the same fix?

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                    X