Alpha Video Training

Thread: Calling and ending forms

Jeff Klages

Default Calling and ending forms

Dows the calling script "HAVE" to be the thing that ends the called form?

For example, I have a form, MAINFORM, with a button, BUTTON1, and its only job is to display a form, FORM1, and it does it with the form.view("FORM1","Dialog") command. Once the script runs it ends.. it did its job.

Now FORM1 is displayed, as a dialog cuz I like the size better, and on this form is a button, BUTTON1, and part of its job is to close the form with FORM1.close() command.

Problem seems to be that I end up with duplicate forms open but not displayed and it makes the script do funky things.

So is this because BUTTON1 on MAINFORM is the originating "caller" and must also be the one to close the form? Or am I doing something else wrong maybe.. probably?

I love this stuff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Calling and ending forms

Jeff,

If you're opening forms as dialogs you must master chapter 22 of the Xbasic Reference Manual, plus the Form.view() stuff in Ch. 13. It's my understanding that the dialog style requires the calling script to close out the called dialog form. This is not true for regular forms.

-- tom cone

Jeff Klages

yep.. I kinda figured that was the case since it only seems to happen with my dialogs.

It's forcing me to develop my logic skills now since I have one large script on the originating button that does it all.. works this way tho so I guess its not a bad thing... who knows.. after a while I might even get a clue what I'm doing... ha!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Jeff,

You write, "...Now FORM1 is displayed, as a dialog cuz I like the size better...."

I do not thing the form's mode is in any way dependent on whether it is opened in dialog mode. This is not disparage dialog mode but to point out that a form's size can be managed independent of mode.

Bill

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    James A. Talbott, Jr.

Maybe I am missing the whole point, but why not just add the following line to the button which calls the form:

formname.close()

Wouldn't that resolve the whole problem?

Regards,

Jay Talbott

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ken Herrold

Jeff:

Like you, I had questions about the 'dialog' method for form prompts. While my methods might be considered laughable by others on the board, the example I have attached works well for me. The opening of a dialog style form was upsetting because it might appear anywhere on the Alpha desktop and I seemingly had no control over that. In a board response to this problem I got a centering snippet of code.

You can see in the attached sample what I did with that.

Give comments and suggestions all....

Ken

Jeff Klages

Thanks all for your replies....

I open the form as a dialog because I maximize all my forms.. this way I know exactly how large my form (read window) will always be... I had an issue early in this (my first) database with the small forms opening maximized.. and the dialogs allow me to control both size and placement so to me it just looks better... perhaps I am taking the wrong approach but it works pretty well ... for now.

Mick Magnuson

Hi Jeff

There are 2 ways to open a dialog.

form.view("Form","dialog")
    and
    form.dialog("Form")

The first will never close no matter what. (if there is a trick, hope someone posts it) It will always be retained in memory. You can check this by looking in the object container.

By putting a close button on this form, it will close itself and remove itself from memory.

Hope that helps.

Mick Magnuson

Sorry, the second example works with a close button.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

The first will never close no matter what. (if there is a trick, hope someone posts it) It will always be retained in memory. You can check this by looking in the object container.

f=form.view("Form","dialog")
    f.activate()
    f.show()

f.close()

The script will pause at the show command. When you close the dialog with the upper right X button or your own close button, the dialog script will continue and execute the f.close(), thus completely closing the form.

Jeff Klages

James... I was originally "handing off" control of the dialog to the buttons on the dialog... the calling script ended at the point where I called the dialog.. this way I broke my scripting in small pieces and was easy (easier) for me to make progress.... doesnt work well tho as the forms (dialogs) never really close...

Now I make the calling script handle everything on / with the dialog... makes a longer script but at least the forms (dialogs) actually close now..