Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Calling and ending forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling and ending forms

Dows the calling script "HAVE" to be the thing that ends the called form?

For example, I have a form, MAINFORM, with a button, BUTTON1, and its only job is to display a form, FORM1, and it does it with the form.view("FORM1","Dialog") command. Once the script runs it ends.. it did its job.

Now FORM1 is displayed, as a dialog cuz I like the size better, and on this form is a button, BUTTON1, and part of its job is to close the form with FORM1.close() command.

Problem seems to be that I end up with duplicate forms open but not displayed and it makes the script do funky things.

So is this because BUTTON1 on MAINFORM is the originating "caller" and must also be the one to close the form? Or am I doing something else wrong maybe.. probably?

I love this stuff

RE: Calling and ending forms

Jeff,

If you're opening forms as dialogs you must master chapter 22 of the Xbasic Reference Manual, plus the Form.view() stuff in Ch. 13. It's my understanding that the dialog style requires the calling script to close out the called dialog form. This is not true for regular forms.

-- tom cone

Comment

yep.. I kinda figured that was the case since it only seems to happen with my dialogs.

It's forcing me to develop my logic skills now since I have one large script on the originating button that does it all.. works this way tho so I guess its not a bad thing... who knows.. after a while I might even get a clue what I'm doing... ha!

Comment

Jeff,

You write, "...Now FORM1 is displayed, as a dialog cuz I like the size better...."

I do not thing the form's mode is in any way dependent on whether it is opened in dialog mode. This is not disparage dialog mode but to point out that a form's size can be managed independent of mode.

Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Maybe I am missing the whole point, but why not just add the following line to the button which calls the form:

formname.close()

Wouldn't that resolve the whole problem?

Regards,

Jay Talbott
          Jay Talbott
          Lexington, KY

Comment

Jeff:

Like you, I had questions about the 'dialog' method for form prompts. While my methods might be considered laughable by others on the board, the example I have attached works well for me. The opening of a dialog style form was upsetting because it might appear anywhere on the Alpha desktop and I seemingly had no control over that. In a board response to this problem I got a centering snippet of code.

You can see in the attached sample what I did with that.

Give comments and suggestions all....

Ken

Comment

Thanks all for your replies....

I open the form as a dialog because I maximize all my forms.. this way I know exactly how large my form (read window) will always be... I had an issue early in this (my first) database with the small forms opening maximized.. and the dialogs allow me to control both size and placement so to me it just looks better... perhaps I am taking the wrong approach but it works pretty well ... for now.

Comment

Hi Jeff

There are 2 ways to open a dialog.

form.view("Form","dialog")
                and
                form.dialog("Form")

The first will never close no matter what. (if there is a trick, hope someone posts it) It will always be retained in memory. You can check this by looking in the object container.

By putting a close button on this form, it will close itself and remove itself from memory.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Sorry, the second example works with a close button.

Comment

The first will never close no matter what. (if there is a trick, hope someone posts it) It will always be retained in memory. You can check this by looking in the object container.

f=form.view("Form","dialog")
                    f.activate()
                    f.show()

f.close()

The script will pause at the show command. When you close the dialog with the upper right X button or your own close button, the dialog script will continue and execute the f.close(), thus completely closing the form.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

James... I was originally "handing off" control of the dialog to the buttons on the dialog... the calling script ended at the point where I called the dialog.. this way I broke my scripting in small pieces and was easy (easier) for me to make progress.... doesnt work well tho as the forms (dialogs) never really close...

Now I make the calling script handle everything on / with the dialog... makes a longer script but at least the forms (dialogs) actually close now..

Comment

Working...
                      X