Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"HAVE AT IT" Update :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE:

I know what your data did last night :)

Tom Lyon

Comment

RE:

Oh my - do tell!

Actually - I CAN MAKE MY DATA DO WHATEVER I WANT IT TO - and YOU, TOO, can have this kind of POWER! It comes in the form of a little satin bag, chock full of 1-digit numbers. I call it the EDB - short for Emergency Data Bag. It's also VERY EASY TO USE. All one must do is simply pull out a handfull of digits, and arrange them according to what you need your numbers to prove. Wala! I am selling them for $9.95 each, plus tax and shipping. Orders can be sent to me at [email protected] - HONESTLY! Try it - you'll like it!

PS. I am not set up to accept credit cards. Please make checks payable to Wanda J. Tucker.

thank you!

Comment

RE:

Hello As the IT turns Wanda,

The backup could be one issue, but your drive mappings could very well be an issue as well. Are all your files in a single folder? A database (which is simply a file that tells Alpha what tables/set and where they are located)can contain files from any physical location. It kind of sounds like your files may be 'co-mingled' and cross referenced, possibly over baked.............

Good luck,
        Jim

Comment

RE:

Hello As the IT turns Wanda,

The backup could be one issue, but your drive mappings could very well be an issue as well. Are all your files in a single folder? A database (which is simply a file that tells Alpha what tables/set and where they are located)can contain files from any physical location. It kind of sounds like your files may be 'co-mingled' and cross referenced, possibly over baked.............

Good luck,
          Jim

Comment

RE:

No, my files are not all in one folder. I have one folder set up that has sub-folders that contain only Alpha files. This happened when I didn't know how to create/name a control panel (and still don't...). The files are all organized with like files, however, in each folder. sometimes I need to add a table to a control panel that is physically stored in another folder. This should not be a problem, though...it was never a problem, before, that I was ever made aware of - other than when i wanted to reorganize all my files, and the pointers were still looking for the original folder that it was created in.

Is my ignorance showing, yet?!

Comment

RE:

Better yet, I know what her data did last summer.
              There can be only one.

Comment

RE:

Hi Wanda,

I,ve reviewed the information that was send to me privately. I am not sure who let you to believe that drive �D� was a network drive, but that is not correct. Based on this information, the only drive that maps to a network on your computer is drive �S�.

The solution for this problem is quite simple, but the following steps must be followed.

You must move all your data back to the �C� drive. The reason for this is to make sure that the application is working properly for a least a week before the data could be properly moved to a proper network drive.

Also make sure your application does not referenced any exclusive directory paths;

Examples: �c:dirfiles�

I�m now under some confusion as to whether your files are under the same directory, this needs to be fixed, before attempting to move the files.

At this point, if you access your files using drive �D�, based on your information, them you are on a local drive. This drive might be shared for backups, but you said at the end of the day, you turn of your computer and you go home. If this is indeed shared for backups (Drive D), the moment the computer was turned off, no way could a backup be perform.

If you access your data using Drive �S�, then you are on a network map drive. But if your application on the �S� drive, tries to access data on multiple directories and some of these directories have exclusive directory paths, the problems you are encountering will remain.

You must move your data to the "C" drive, you must remove all exclusive paths from your application, you must put all your data under one folder. After this is done and your application is running fine for a week, them copy or move your data to the �S� drive.

Hope this Helps
                RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

RE:

Good morning, Ray -

I'm not sure that D really is a local drive, because when I go into My Computer, and Properties of DATA(D:), under the Sharing Tab, the Share Name is D$, and the Comment is Default Share. So, does this not mean that it is really a shared drive, posing as a local drive? Drive C says the same thing.

Last week I copied all my data to Drive C, deleted sensitive data, zipped it and posted it. When I returned to the D drive, I found that the exact same data had been deleted from there, as well...so, I'm real hesitant at this point to do anything to any moved or copied data. It's really, really odd - but it seems af it drive D and C are the same drive. In fact, could IT have made it look like Drive D is real, but in fact, it's a fake?

RE my data being "backed up" by the server - I believe that I am really working with the data on a shared drive during the day (drive D - I don't access it through the S drive). I shut my pc off at night, log on in the morning at which point the files that I had manipulated the day before have been written over with the previous day's work, PLUS some other wacko function that arbitrarily deletes stuff.

Bottom line - whatever I do with my files can be undone at any given time by the IT. I refuse to work under these conditions. I have gone on strike and am not working with my data - not even opening up Alpha - until I get a zip drive installed. My supe agreed to give me one - but the IT dept won't be able to install it for a week or two. In the meantime, I'm helping out other people, here in the office with filing and whatever...When I get the zip drive, I'll just back up every night and restore the next morning. That way I'll be happy, and IT can do whatever the hell they want to with my data - wala! They'll be happy, too.

Sound like a good plan to you?

Thank you Ray, for all your many suggestions and hours of help. If you can see anywhere that I might be tripping myself up with regard to the zip drive, please let me know.

Sincerely,
                  Wanda

Comment

RE:

Wanda,

I think you are confusing a "shared" drive with a "network" drive.

When a drive is "shared", it just means that other users on the network can see, view, read and/or write to that drive.

The location of drive may be either local or network.

A "network" drive on the other hand, is a "mapped" drive that physically (usually) resides on the network server.

You actually should have the ability to "turn off" the sharing for you local drives. Just right click on them and then chose the "not shared" option under the sharing tab.

Comment

RE:

Hi Melvin,
                      You're right - I am confusing shared with networked - and am utterly confused and disgusted with the both of them!!! I hope to NEVER HAVE TO WORK WITH A NETWORK - but I know that is antiquated thinking...kind of like an old farmer saying she'll NEVER LEARN TO DRIVE A CAR! Well, sort of...

So, if a shared drive is not networked, then how could my shared drive C, affect my shared drive D? I tried to change the properties on drive C from "Share this folder" to "Do not share this folder"...but I was denied access.

If one wanted to learn about networking, where would one start? Is there a Networks For Dummies book?

-Wanda

Comment

RE:

Wanda,

This is really getting messy.

Maybe you know tis aleady, but, I have a recommendation.
                        You want to put all your files in single drectory, but it is not as easy as just copying them there. A better way is to go to the files tab of the control panel and in the top right corner, select the view with the tool tip "details".
                        Now, you will see the full path to the table.
                        one by one, for each table that is not in the directory you want, right click and pick "duplicate the database". Then when it asks you for a name, use the same name but save it in the consolidation directory. Once it's there, delete the other table. Choose to duplicate all forms,data and indexes.
                        Once they are all moved, compact the database.

Now test it.
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

RE:

Another thing to look at here is if the local drive has a share on it then some other user (you'll have to look at the share properties to see who has access) can access and change your files. Unless there is some reason for the share you might want to remove it to prevent others from screwing up your data.

Russ

Comment

RE:

Ah Wanda,

now we get to the root of the matter!

"So, if a shared drive is not networked, then how could my shared drive C, affect my shared drive D? I tried to change the properties on drive C from "Share this folder" to "Do not share this folder"...but I was denied access.

Well, I cannot determine how the "C" drive affects the "D" drive right now, but I no this. The reason you were denied access to change the sharing is that someone else has Adminstrator privileges! Instead of logging on with your user id and password, trying signing on as "Administrator" and "Adminstrator" as the password. If you are successful, you should be able to make the changes. If not, see if you can find "Administrative Tools" (utilities?) in the program options. If you do, there should be on to maintain users. That should give you an idea of whom has access to your computer.

"Is there a Networks For Dummies book?"
                            As a matter of fact, I believe there is. BTW, I believe
                            "Network" is a bad name. From your own experience, you know it don't "work", which is why you probably need to be contained in a "net". :)

Comment

RE:

Just a thought, in the dark ages of DOS you could use the subst command to change a drive letter. So the command subst d: c: would indeed make the two drives see exactly the same files. Check that this is not in the autoexec.bat file on your computer.

Comment

RE:

Russ may have a very valid point. If your drive is shared, and someone else has a dtatbase management package or even excel, they CAN change your tables. Excel has an incredibly easy routiine to read and save .dbf files! I would run, not walk to IT and have them remove the shaes. Something else you may want to do is to check who is using your disks. Windows has a tool, "netwatcher?" that informs you who is using your files.
                                DOes someone there have it in for you and your project??? You said you worked for a county. Politics may have something to play in all of this. I also work for a county, maybe we should compare notes.

This may all be for naught, but it may be somethig to look into.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X