Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"HAVE AT IT" Update :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE:

If you are looking at the properties of a drive and you see a drive designation with a $ sign, then you are running on a version of NT and those shares are administrative shares. They are there for system use but you can use them as well if you know the procedure. They arent usually used for client drive mapping, instead an actual named share would be created for sharing on the network.

So, while its possible for others to use your administrative shares, it isnt usually likely. In fact, without an actual named share existing on your computer, its likely you arent actually sharing anything. But this all depends on how your IT department has you set up.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

RE:

I just really appreciate all the suggestions and brain-storming!!! I'm still refusing to even open Alpha until I get my zip drive. Also, I'm disconnecting the server connection before I leave in the eve - so that nothing else gets screwed up....AND TO THINK I STILL HAVE MY JOB!!! Wonder if I could get a raise that way!

The D and C drives both, have the $ sign - so that explains why, when I copy files from D to C and manipulate the files in C, the D drive files are also altered. AARRGGHH!!! Doesn't it seem that it would be common courtesy for the IT dept to let people know things like this?! BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO, Not Here!!! We're supposed to be too dumb to even think about copying anything, much less, having a reason to have one set of files without sensitive data! Good Lord! They might have to pay us more if we were REALLY smart! Okay - I'm done ranting. Thanks for listening. You guys/gals are GREAT! Oh - we also have a named shared drive, in addition to the D and C drives having the $.

No one that I know of has it in for my project and my efforts. In fact, I have a shining reputation, here, and am one of those who is sought out to help with internal conflicts...there is one woman in a different building who has a penchant for being competitive with me, and has tried to sabotage my work, repeatedly - but I don't think she would have access to my files. That building has it's own IT department. I could always blame her, just to have someone to blame, though - that's always convenient! (Just kidding!!!)

Now, to show my ignorance - HOW DO I GET INTO DOS ON WIN2000? For the life of me, I can not find access.

Thanks, everyone!
      Wanda

Comment

RE:

Wanda.. one way to a DOS "prompt" in Win2K is to click:

Start Button
        Select Run from the pop-up menu
        type "cmd" in the box (overwrite what is there if anything)
        press enter or click "OK"

Comment

RE:

Well, who wuda' thunk?! Thanks!

Comment

RE:

Whoa Wicked Wanda! (hey, that's what the www stands for in a url). :)

"The D and C drives both, have the $ sign - so that explains why, when I copy files from D to C and manipulate the files in C, the D drive files are also altered"

That is incorrect. The $ (aka shared indicator) just means someone else on the network may access that drive/directory.

It does not mean that the C drive equals (is the same) as the D drive. So only if you did a
            copy c:wandas_a5_stuff*.* d:wandas_a5_stuff*.* would the change take place. (Or similar backup procedure).

As was previously mentioned, only if the
            SUBST D: c:wandas_a5_stuff
            command executed someplace in your startup/autoexec.bat
            would that statement hold true.

So now to see if you SUBST was used at anytime, just go to a DOS prompt and type SUBST with no parameters to display a list of current virtual drives.

If nothing appears, it means it wasn't used.

What you do need to check is if there are any "mapped" network drives that point to the D: drive.
            So run, do not walk, to your My Computer icon.
            Open it up and make sure you set the View to Details.
            If you see any letters higher than D: (like J:) and under type it says Network Connection, than bimbo...I mean bingo, :) you are pointing to another location.
            Now look at the Name closely, It should read something like
            A_Name on "Wandas_PC" (J:). The A_Name could then easily equate to d:wandas_a5_stuff or c:wandas_a5_stuff

r.o.r

Comment

RE:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe a SUBST drive (virtual drive) can have an administrative share (the "$" sign). Administrative shares exist by default for each of the drives or partitions installed on your computer. They are shares that do not show up in the browse table when another user browses the network. You can still use them, you just have to manually specify the $share in the map path. So if you see a share with the $ sign then its an actual physical drive in your computer.. not a virtual drive. Only physical drives (or partitions) can possess an administrative share.

Again, correct me if I am wrong.. hope this doesnt confuse ya.

Comment

RE:

Well, most of it is greek to me, to be honest - since I have absolutely no experience with networking, and since I am not privy to even the slightest changes on my system, unless I notice them, myself, and inquire...then, I get any number of different answers...so, bottom line, I have no clue what IT is doing, and it does no good to ask. I'm just biding my time - g9oing through XBasic For Everyone, until I get my zip drive. I should have my zip drive by the end of this week...

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE - this has been a learning experience for all of us, I think...except that we'll probably never know the REAL problem, and therefore, will be right back at step 1 if/when someone else encounters losing data on a server.

Sincerely,
                Wanda

PS - WWW="Wanna Walk" Wanda! - a new Non-Barbie ready to bail!

Comment

RE:

Wanda,

Great news! I found some extra data in my A5 programs that I don't need anymore. There's lots of dates too. I'll be glad to send it to you no charge. :)

Melvin

Comment

RE:

GUESS WHAT????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a zip drive - I got a zip drive - YEAH! YIPPIE! YAHOO! I backed up all my Alpha files, checked to see that the zip was working right, and it is :))))))))))))))))))

NOW, I am armed and ready for the next time my data disappears...in fact, I now look forward to it so I can say, "NEENER! NEENER! NEENER!" Of course, I have too much diplomacy to REALLY say it...but it'll be a blast just thinking it.

Throughout all this process, I have developed 2 more personalities...Mathilda McGillicutty (a neglected, snaggle-toothed little girl, sitting in a corner, all alone, cold and starving), and Nurse Hatchet (very similar to Nurse Cratchet on One Flew Over The Cucoo's Next). Maybe the real Wanda will be back at work, tomorrow.

I will be organizing my files, better, and am sure I will need the help of you fine, wonderfully supportive developers...until then - Happy Developing!

Wanda
                    Mathilda
                    Nurse hatchet

Comment

RE:

Wanda,

you GO Girl!

regards,
                      Melvin
                      aka: unused hero

Comment

RE:

Thanks, Melvin :)))) But, what does the "unused hero" part of your signature mean? I'm feeling guilty - like I slighted you - no?

We humans are kind of funny that way...don't like being "used" OR "unused"! Somewhere in between is just perfect, eh?

WWW - or
                        VVV - or
                        Mom - or
                        G'ma - or
                        well - I won't go there!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X