Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

need to export data to MS Acess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need to export data to MS Acess

I'm afraid my long association with Alpha is at an end. Since upgrading to XP, there have been nothing but problems in version 4. I got a brief note from tech support 3 months ago telling me there were no problems. Nonetheless, my forms are destroyed, I can't create new reports and forms, and so on.

I just give up. Just tried to print with no print report, and got hundreds of pages of useless info. Had no way to organize fields, etc.

I need to export all data to a MS Access supported format. I tried importing from Access, but it does not pick all my databases for some reason, and the ones it does pick up, it leaves out the Memo fields, which is not acceptable.

Alpha Five's obscure Help file tells me to use the drop down export box. But there is no drop down export box. Or at least it doesn't tell me where it is. It mentions obscurely a card stack. There is no export card stack either.

Can someone tell me how I can stop running around in circles and export my data?

RE: need to export data to MS Acess

msjd,

"but it does not pick all my databases for some reason."

This tells me you are working with Alpha 4 not Alpha 5 otherwise you would have used the word 'tables' instead databases. If so, no doubt there are problems with XP. I think that's a given sice XP is not designed to run DOS programs. That's Microsoft's plan!!

If you used A5v4.5, you should have little if any problems. I searched all message boards and did not find your name one time. You've not requested any help!! Why Not??

Mark, if you won't ask for help from fellow Alpha users, what makes you think you can do any better with Access? With A5v5 about to be released, you'll be driving a Model T with Access, that is if you can get it started.

The problem is not Alpha 4, it's the new technology of XP! By the way, if you bought Access, why didn't you buy Alpha4.5, a much easier to use database? (I've used both so I know what I'm talking about)

How about posting a request on an Access message board?

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

1. Alpha Five v.2

2. I didn't previously request help here--I guess I though Alpha tech support could handle it. My bad.

3. I took this step after 3 months and no follow ups from Alpha Tech Support.

4. I figured since A5 is a minor program in terms of user base as opposed to MS Access, A5 users would understand it a lot better than Access in terms of moving from one to another.

But if that bothers you, here's a tip: ignore the post, move along. Stop acting like a jerk.

Comment

Maybe it IS best if you move along to Access....
        Good Luck.
        tc

Comment

No question about it.

I can see that.

You don't have to convince me!

Comment

Mark,

Oof'Da! I'm not sure about the file format of v2 but if you're willing to make just a little bit of effort and search this board for 'import to Access', you'll probably find your answer.

Although Access will be easier to use than v2, you'll still need their message boards. Don't make the same mistake twice.

kenn

P.S. I forgive you for calling me a jerk. I'll still help if you want to give it a whirl w/v4.5.
            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

You cannot import A5 dbf files, that have memo fields attached into Access. It just won't happen. Memo files are .fpt files and they must be removed before you try to import them. Once that is done, you can easily import them as DBASE IV files into Access.

Here is one option that I use:

[1] Make a duplicate copy of your data tables
              [2] Restructure your original data tables, remove all memo fields
              [3] Once the memo fields are removed, you can start Access, and easily Import your Alpha dbf files into Access tables.
              [4] Note: You must first create an Access database so you have a place to import the A5 dbf files.

Once your data [dbf] files are imported into Access, what can you do with the memo files? I'm not sure, it depends upon how many you have and how important the information is.

I once had about 100 memo files, I detached them from my A5 dbf file as described above, once they were imported in Access, I created a new memo field in Acces. I then carefully and tediously cut and paste the data from my Alpha Five Memo files into the new Access Memo files.

If you continue to use Alpha Five, the recommended method is to keep your Memo [fpt] files in a separate table linked by Cust_ID [or some other key field] in a One to One Relationship.

Robert

Comment

Hi msjd,

If you visited the board before you may know about 90 or so of us met last week in Burlington, MA for a weekend of Alpha 5 conferences. I notice that the computer used to demonstrate the flexibility and power of A5V5 was operation WindowsXP (not sure which version). It performed well through the weekend.

The real knowledge of Alpha software idiosyncrasies is here in the user community. Tech support cannot possibly know and understand the myriad of operating systems and computer configurations that are in use. They can answer many questions, but when it comes to how it works in the hands or programmers, the knowledge is here. Ask questions and answers result.

Lastly, I think going from A5V2 to Access is not the best step. Your long associtation with Alpha software most likely based on it's power and ease of use. Why not give A5V4.5 a try and if you like it the purchase price is applied in full to A5V5. I think you'll like it a lot better than Access. You can download a trial from the home page of this site.

Regards, Ohlen

Comment

I have another solution to get the data with memos to access.
                  When it comes out, upgrade to A5Version 5. v5 has more ability to manipulate memo fields and you could probably use xbasic to at a minimum put the memos into a text file and then import them into access.
                  Oh by the way, when you look at ver 5 you might decide access isn't so hot after all. Been there done that. If you have limited programming skills, like many of us here on the board, you will find access a real pain to learn, but I suppose if you buy 5 or 10 books...........

My 2 cents
                  Russ

Comment

MSJD,

Try importing, not exporting.

I have no problems importing from MS Access 2000, a Alpha 5 version 4.5 table (codebase) with Memo fields, what so ever. I use for the import option a dbase IV table and all my data is there, with my memo fields.

I also imported this into Access using a SQL statement with the Alpha 5 table has the backend. - No Problems

I also have no problems importing from the Borland Database Desktop � version 7.0 using the Alpha 5 table has the backend.

I also have no problems with Paradox version 9.0 - Again using the Alpha 5 table backend.

I also imported in SQL2000 with no problems.

And no problems re-importing back into both, Alpha 4 & Alpha 5.

If you are still having problems, I or any other person on this newsgroup we be more than happy to help you out.

RF - ARS Motorola

Comment

Sorry to hear of your problems. When forms, etc dissappear, there is a good reason. If this is on a new computer and the data was transfered, perhaps some of the files are now missing. If they were put on a CD at any time and restored from there, then they are write protected and Alpha needs to be able to access all of the files. The write protect attribute must be removed. The fact that the problem appeared with the addition of XP suggests the problem is not with Alpha, but with how the conversion was done.

If you are determined to move to Access and learn what frustration really is, there is a reliable way to save at least some of your memo data easily. You can open the original table and add a character field that is 255 characters long. You can do an update operation and update the new character field with the contents of the memo field. You will get the first 255 characters of every memo. If you need more, then the "cut and Paste" method is about the only option. But usually, most memo fields don't have that much data.

Jerry

Comment

I tried importing. For some reason, some dbfs wound up totally empty. With the suggestions emailed to me by a helpful user, I was able to import through Excel (though there were occasional memo field issues).

In any event, I like the upgrade idea, more. Maybe. (It would've been what I did in the first place if I could've gotten a response from Alpha tech support in 3 months. But I have been an A user since DOS days...) Upgrading has the advantage of meaning I won't have to redesign reports and things if it works. And I guess the trial version means that I don't have to commit to the cost if it doesn't. Thanks to those who responded with many helpful suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                        X