Alpha Video Training

Thread: Using CD rewriter to back up files

Real Name
    Brian Dennis

Default Using CD rewriter to back up files

I am trying to use a CD rewriter to back up files. It seems to record the files ok, but when going back to those files I get the message "failure to open the document". Is there something about Alpha files which is causing this.

Brian

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Default RE: Using CD rewriter to back up files

When you copy the files back to your hard drive, they are marked as read only. Change the attribute and the message should go away.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

There's really no reason for anyone to go through the hassles of changing attributes in backups when it's so easy to avoid by zipping the files prior to putting them on to the CD. Files expanded from a zip, or zipped executable, file on a CD have the read only bit automatically removed.

I just noticed that Winzip 8.1 now has a command line interface available which makes automating a backup process within Alpha Five an easy task. It could be as slick as a flexible zip from anywhere to anywhere interface using ui_get_file or as simple as running a saved batch file with sys_shell.

Finian

Real Name
    Paul STClair

Just to toss in my 1.75 cents; I am using a CDRW 20x10x40 with
    1-4X Disks for backups with no problems and no read only attributes.
    I also use a CDRW 12x10x32 with the same results. Maybe the newer
    CDRW's have changed methods, I didn't use the older ones as I went
    with an LS120 Drive but outgrew it.

Thanks
    Paul

Real Name
    Brian Dennis

Thanks for the help. Now I guess I get to ask the dumb question, but it sounds like you will know; how do I alter the attributes of a file as you suggest?

Brian

Real Name
    Brian Dennis

Finian,
    Thanks for the help, and the response.
    I'm knew to the concept of zip and unzip, so maybe changing the attribute is the way for me to go; but I guess I should find out about zipping. When I try to unzip files sent here it does n´t normally work due (I think)to our using the Portuguese set-up on characters and keyboard/page settings, etc; - it ends up as garbage normally, with a few readable words. For that reason I have basically given up on unzipping compressed files.

Brian

jim ketner

Check out the thread dated 2-11-2002 and 2-12-2002,title "Removing read only attributes from a bunch of files"
    Jim

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Paul,
    If you use CD-RW, the files aren't marked as read only. Only happens when you use CD-R.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Paul,

My guess is that you are creating a CD that can be accessed much like a hard drive - files can just be dropped on it from Windows Explorer. I've forgotten what they call it but with this setup, you would not have to worry about the read-only attribute BUT you might have a problem if you tried to read the CD from a CD-ROM drive. That type of CD can only be read from a rewritable drive that is set up to use that format.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking... I guess I'll have to check it out.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Gotta disagree on that one. I just copied a file from a CD-RW disk that a customer sent me. The file is read-only. Maybe it's just the way the Nero CD burning software does it.

I also checked a CD which uses what Nero calls InCD (uses UDF Packet Writing - whatever that means) and the files are not read-only. EasyCD Creator has a similar capability but I don't remember what they call it.

I guess the message is, "Be aware of what you are using and remove the read-only attribute if necessary."

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Cal,
    Right! It's called Direct CD and that's what I was referring to. I expect if you just write the files to a CD-RW using a CD writer program, they'd be read only.

Tommy

I back up my A5 files on a CD-RW everyday automatically and have never had a problem. However, I use a dos batch file and run it via the windows scheduler. Not high tech but it works every time.

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

Ohlen:

My personal opinion? Using a CDRW without DirectCD is like riding a horse without a saddle!

Craig

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

I have found that the best way to use CDR's or CDRW's is with a good backup program-then the attributes are not an issue. I use Stompinc backup my pc, which is essentially the Veritas program for single pc's (used to be seagate backup exec.costs about $30.00). I think that this program (and perhaps others) have optimized writing to a cd and it is very fast. I can back up and verify about 50 meg on a CDRW in about 70 sec on a 12-8-32 drive, and that with it set to max compression, not max speed. These programs can also take a command line argument to automate the process, but its so easy I don't bother. I just have a routine for each program I frequently work in. I do full backups to tape with the same program about monthly, which is hard to do with plain zip.
    I think at stompinc.com they have a copy of this program to download that times out after a month or so if you want to try it.
    Highly recommended

Russ