Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Scanner Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner Pen

I have a large stack of papers 8-12 inches think, with a significant of data on each paper that needs to be entered into an A5 database. It would take one person several weeks to get this done. I searched the board and found some info on scanning data to a word processor and then converting it. Not sure if my situation is different. Here's what's needed.

Each document contains dates, numbers and text; in A5 each will have it's own field and it's not laid out such as the names/addresses that were discussed on the board. I imagine I could scan the data on each document in a specific order such as text, date, number, etc.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done this?

How about OCR software?

Thanks,
    kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Scanner Pen

Hi Kenn:
    I haven't worked with a pen scanner but I can see that it would be useful if you want to extract certain information from a more complex form; and if quite a lot of text in certain fields. What I would in this case is scan a unique string at the end of each field and another unique string at the end of each record and use word processor's global search and replace to convert these unique strings to delimiters. Should then be very easy to import delimited text format.

I've used an HP Capshare to scan forms and have had good success with its OCR software. Can't check it out at the moment since it's at home on my laptop, but I think it is Textbridge. It recognizes areas on the scanned image, and I believe there is some control over the order in which areas are processed. I've had best luck with OCR when converted to plain ASCII text - rather than any word processor format (because it doesn't have to try to match fonts and formatting ???).

The last time I did this, as a favour for someone, I scanned with the Capshare, 50 or 60 pages of forms in a 3-ring binder, on my lap, zapped the images to my laptop's IR port, and ran the OCR, all during commercial breaks in my favourite TV show. My "client" was blown away when I e-mailed back the data the next morning. She says she found only a very, very small number of OCR miscues.

If you want to capture all of the information on the page, on a stack of paper 8-12 inches thick, I would think it would be best to use a flatbed scanner with a doc. feeder and "forms" type of OCR as I described above.

Hope this helps.

Bob

An aside: The Capshare is a really cool device - probably ahead of it's time, since, unfortunately it is now shown as discontinued. However, any eBay sales I've seen recently are well above original MSRP - maybe HP will re-release.

Comment

Bob;
      It is interesting what you have done with the Capshare. Are you sure it is discontinued? The reason I ask is that I note your address is ".ca", and I happened to be looking at the Capshare on the HP Canadian web site just this morning because I am considering getting one for a test project I want to do, and I certainly didn't notice that it was "discontinued". I would be very interested in talking to you about how it works. Are you in Toronto?

Ken;
      We do a small amount of OCR scanning on an HP flatbed that came bundled with Omnipage. I find Omnipage works very well.

Duncan

Comment

Hi Duncan:
        I could be wrong about Capshare being discontinued - don't recall exactly where I read it. But I had been checking prices regularly - because I knew of others who were waiting for "the right price" - and recently, I couldn't find any place carrying them. So I guess I found it easy to believe what I read. Let me know if you do find a source - the links to online stores I tried didn't seem to be listing it any more.

I've heard recent versions of OmniPage are very accurate.

I'll respond offline to your other comments and questions.

Comment

FWIW, my documents consist of 2 types,

1. copies of canceled checks, 2-4 to a page. I need to get the date, amount, account #, account name and the signature.
          2. forms containing names and numbers displayed in a spreadsheet format, 32 columns and up to 15 rows.

kenn
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi KenN
            Again, pardon my ignorance of pen scanners, but if I'm remembering correctly, I don't recall with certainty that any I've read about recently would actually save an image (as would be needed with your signatures on the checks (cheques for us Canucks). Otherwise, the pen scanner would be the ticket for picking off the types of data you need from these "forms".

As for the spreadsheets, I think it would be really tedious picking off 32 columns with a pen scanner. However, I believe most good OCR software (like Pro versions of OmniPage or Textbridge) can analyze and save a scanned spreadsheet as just that - so much easier to import that data to a database table.

Hope my understanding of your problem, and all my recollections are correct- and that this has been some help to you.

Good luck.

Bob

Comment

Hi Ken,

Did you ever try this one ?

http://www.cpen.com/cpen/frame.asp

Cheers
              Jens

Comment

Ken,

From what I remember, copies usually don't scan very well. If you are using any kind of OCR type of program, OCR expects fairly tight tollerances with where fields should be. Copies usually are not always exactly where they should be, and can be blurry. We are a county government agency, and we also need to know about cashed checks. We entered into a deal with a couple of banks where we dial into the bank, and they download the cashed check information from "yesterday's" transactions. They have specific programs that they needed us to use, and we are assigned a security ID. We don't get signatures, but we certainly know the amount, account, and date cashed.

Hope this Helps,

Tom Henkel

Comment

Tom raises a good point about scanning copies - quality of copies can be a big problem if they're not good and consistent. In addition to fading and blurring, you can have streaks and other artifacts of dirty glass or rollers. Another big problem is skewing. While most modern OCR software has settings for both manual and automatic despeckling and de-skewing, the latter doesn't work unless the skew is consistent. - All this is further support for using the pen scanner.

On the other hand, a copy can be better than the original, if for example there is a background pattern on the checks that can be faded out on the copy. Ditto if the checks are a relatively dark color.

Comment

Re: Scanner Pen

Originally posted by jensharloff View Post
                    Hi Ken,

Did you ever try this one ?

http://www.cpen.com/cpen/frame.asp

Cheers
                    Jens
                    I worked with this pen. Good results. Digitized specified data on each page of a 500 pages book.
                    Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                    ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Working...
                    X