Alpha Video Training

Thread: Compatibility with Windows XP?

Gail Jaffrey

Default Compatibility with Windows XP?

When I try to save my largest database file (5327294 bytes) to CD I am unable to access the file. It seems to be copying, and I can add it to my database but it does not list any bytes when I look in file properties of the saved file. The smaller files are accessible. HP tech support suggested I contact you to see if A5 is fully compatible with Windows XP thinking the size of the file might be a problem if they are not compatible. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Default RE: Compatibility with Windows XP?

I'm running A5 on a laptop with XP professional and have encountered no issues with it. We have some tables that are much larger than the size you mention.

Are you trying to access the database/table on the CD? If so, you will have problems since all files on a CD are set to read only. This prevents Alpha from opening necessary associated files (like the index file) when the database is accessed on the CD.

Finian

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

Gail:

Sounds like HP Support passing the buck! I also use XP Pro on a laptop and have an external HP cd-rw and have had no problems. Are you using the XP Explorer software to burn the files onto cd and are you using cd-r's or cd-rw's?

Regards

Glen

Gail Jaffrey

Finian,

Thanks for your comments. The puzzling thing is that some files are accessible and others are not even though I am using them the same way. That's what confused HP as well.

Gail Jaffrey

Glen,
    Thank you as well for your comments. I am using cd-rw's and, as I mentioned to Finian, some files are accessible and others are not. I wonder if there is some setting I need to change on that particular file??

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

I just did a quick test and Alpha could not access any of the files I tried to open which resided on a CD. I could add the tables to a database but not access them in any way. This is exactly the behavior I expected.

I suspect that the tables you can read are not actually on the CD but are on your hard drive. Click the "Details" icon on the Control Panel toolbar so you can see the exact path to all the tables and sets in the database. I'm guessing that the path to the accessible tables will point to your hard drive.

Finian

Gail Jaffrey

Thank you again for responding. Surprisingly enough, I can access some of my A5 files directly from the CD (I have my details showing all the time, so I knew I could.) However, I took your advice and put my nonaccessible file back on the hard drive, and it worked! Thank you so much.

I have a CD-writer on the computer I just replaced (runs on Windows 98). With that one, I could create CD's that are not read-only (I actually used it as if it were an extra hard drive), so I expected my new one would be even faster, easier to use and have greater capability rather than much slower, more difficult and more limited. Thus, when I ran into this kind of problem, I was troubled. I guess maybe I was just spoiled with my other CD-writer.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

When put on a CD, files become Read-only and A5 cannot use them. When copied back to the hard drive, they remain Read-only. Before A5 can use them, highlight all of them with Windows Explorer (or use My Computer or anything else you might normally use to view files) and right click to get to the properties setting then uncheck the Read-only box.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Oops! I guess Finian already pointed that out.