Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

urgent help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

urgent help needed

hi:

i finished an app today and in moving it to a directory so as to burn a cd-rom. something happened during the file copy that deleted my triplog.asb file. i have a backup from yesterday, however copying that version of the adb file does not work. it appears that i have all of the rest of the files. is there a way that i can re-create the adb? is there a way to create a new app and lload my existing files? the forms and the reports have an enormous amount of xbasic code and they appear to be gone. any help is much appreciated, i'm quite desperate at this time. thank you an advance.

regards,

ed

RE: urgent help needed

hi again:

it appears that i lost more than the adb file, i guess that htis another long night.

regards,

ed

Comment

hi:

i appear to be missing the dbf files from a few tables. the ddx and ddd files are still there. is there any way to re-create the relationship between the dbf file?

thanks once again, having a really bad day, could use help!

regards,

ed

Comment

Ed,

If you have a backup from yesterday, I would "restore" that first - i.e. the entire database folder. That should give you everything except today's data. Unless your backup is corrupted as well.

You can try Norton's Utilities to recover the files. If you are lucky, they can be undeleted, even if they're not in the recycle bin (I assume you checked that first). Rebuilding files from bits & bytes of data using Norton's may or may not be possible, in my experience that has never been worth the effort.

Peter
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

hi peter:

thanks for your reply!!

i had done extensive clean-up work on the app, including a few reports that had enough xbasic code to fill the trunk of a '53 studebaker. there was no real data in the app, just some test data. indeed i restored yesterday's copy and it is all there (except for the work i did yesterday). at least the code is still fresh in mind (if i still have one) and recalling it / re-typing is going well.

there were about 6 *.dbf files that are not in the recycle bin, and dos can't even find them. the ddm and ddd files were still there. all i was doing was copying (using win-me os) using two copies of windows explorer and poof gone.

i could kick myself, though, as each day i do a dos copy to a new folder to start the day (this is why i have yesterday's) except today as i was not modifying the code, just trying to burn a darned cd-rom.

a painfull re-reminder to newbies and old farts (like me) alike ... backup, backup, backup.

thanks again!

ed

Comment

Hi Ed,

I'm curious. Do you have any idea what you did that caused the ingnition of destruction? Perhaps it might spare others.

kenn
            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

hi ken:

i think that this may be related to windows-me. it is certainly not an a5 related issue.

to copy files i open up two sessions of windows explorer (exploder?) highlight files in one and drag them (with the shift key down) to the destination location in the other. i had lost some files doing this a couple of weeks ago and just chalked it up to a dexterity problem or an errant firing synapse.

after i did this for these files i tried to open up the app in the destination and it could not find the triplog.adb file. no problem, i thought, and went back to the original folder and it too was missing the adb file. further looking revealed that i was also missing about 6 *.dbf files from both directories.

i don't have a clue what i did (if it was me) to cause this during such a simple operation.

to spare others the frustration of similar events i suggest to backup to a new folder at the start of each day (using good ol' dos xcopy) and even for the most basic of tasks do a backup. ten seconds of not typing just cost about 4 hours typing. also compact frequently, i've lost a few hours from not compacting while creating code, leaving a few very bloated files.

regards,

ed

Comment

ih:

honestly, i'm not tying to kill bandwidth here, however i did come across something that may be relevant.

the source directory c:triplog is where i created the app.

c:tripinst is where i have folders to copy onto the cd-rom including the runtime files, installation instructions and the directory appfiles where the a5 code is stored.

i got a new computer recently and loaded the tripinst directory from a cd-rom (copied from my old computer). this cd-rom had older files in the appfiles directory.

as i have never had much faith in windows and a nasty set of the jitters about it again today, i went through dos and tried to delete the files in the appfiles directory to replace them with the newly (painstakingly) created files. access denied, the screen replied. running the dos attrib command revealed that all files were marked "r" for read only. as they were written to a cd-rom i guess that read-only is not unreasonable, however the attribute followed them onto the c:tripinst directory.

needless to say the new files would not have been able to overwrite the cd-rom sourced files (access denied), and in a minute of panic i may have copied the directory back to the source. there were no error messages during the copy operation.

if you copy files to a cd-rom, check the attributes when you copy them back to your hard drive.

hope that this may be of help to someone in the future.

it is probably a good time for a wee dram of glenfiddich now!

best of luck to all, thanks for your support!!

ed

Comment

Ed, if I read all correctly, where it bombed was because when you copied the "tripp" folder from the cd to your new computer you didn't undo the read only as you mentioned. I do what you are doing a lot, and I have found doing ctrl-a ctrl-c and then ctrl-v to the second folder safer.
                  PS: if you ever try two monitors for programming - you'll never go back - you can have two full screens for the same app (one being a copy of the other) open at the same time, for easy copy/paste and have the code for one open while the other is running.
                  Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                  972 524 8714
                  [email protected]

Comment

Hi Martin,

Could you enlarge on how you use that approach.

Thanks,
                    Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

hi:

thanks for the tip! re: file copy.

i've heard about two monitor systems. how do you accomplish this?

thanks!

regards,

ed

Comment

Sounds like a commercial for GoBack.

Comment

Hi Ed,

I believe that Martin has given you the clue. I have had that happen
                          to me several times. When you copy to a CD, it makes the files "read
                          only". You just have to go into WE, and click off the RO attribute.

Lotsaluk'
                          efs

Comment

if you zip them and later unzip to the new computer, they are not read only

to remove the read only attribute to all files at one time -mark all of them and right click - go to properties.

When copying in me - mark your file(s)/folder(s) and right click so you can click copy - left click on ther destination and right click - choose paste

Dave
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Ed,

I have had so-so luck with drag and drop in Win ME, but like others use Copy and Paste in one form or another. I've noticed that sometimes my aim when dragging isn't anything to make Daniel Boone proud and sometimes the results wind up n the wrong folder. Have you tried doing a search on your drive for your missing files? Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X